British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HenryW

Wroclaw 2005 Wildcard - Pepe

I have it on good authority, from fellow forum member Rico, that Pepe was in sensational form around Wroclaw yesterday and that he should immediately be offered the wild-card for the GP there next season based on this performance.

Apparently he didn't manage to win the meeting due to mechanical problems, but was the best man on show. (old man Sławek Drabik won the meeting for anyone interested)

I would certainly support Pepe's nomination as wild-card and will buy my ticket for the GP there as soon as his appearance is confirmed. :D

I have it on good authority, from fellow forum member Rico, that Pepe was in sensational form around Wroclaw yesterday and that he should immediately be offered the wild-card for the GP there next season based on this performance.

Apparently he didn't manage to win the meeting due to mechanical problems, but was the best man on show. (old man Sławek Drabik won the meeting for anyone interested)

I would certainly support Pepe's nomination as wild-card and will buy my ticket for the GP there as soon as his appearance is confirmed.  :D

Why? On his previous GP showings he always dissappoints on the day, forget about old men like him and get some new blood in.

Guest BilaHora

Mr HenryW

I wonder why you write Sławek Drabik but not Wrocław?

As regards the proposed "wild card" for the Wrocław grand prix next season, like Mr Dekker I would favour the introduction of a younger rider.

Regards

BilaHora

Why? On his previous GP showings he always dissappoints on the day, forget about old men like him and get some new blood in.

Call me old fashioned, but when I go to a World Championship GP, I like to see the best possible riders taking each other on. Why should the paying fans be cheated out of seeing the very best riders available just so that a youngster can gain experience?

As far as I can recall, Pepe has done two GPs at Wrocław and he made it to the final in both of them. He may not always have delivered elsewhere in his time in the GP series, but I think his fans at least deserve to see him around Wrocław. :D

BTW BilaHora, drunken laziness led me to type l instead of ł in Wrocław!

I thought the whole idea of changing the format of the GP was to get rid of the riders that aren't good enough to be there. Pepe is a good rider but should never be in the GP series whether as a wild card or a full time rider.

He has had his chance and has been lucky to get a life line on a few occassions to get permanent wild cards from the FIM. He proved he is not good enough to be in the GP by failing to qualify out right at every attempt in th series.

Time to forget about people like him and give the opportunity to the likes of Marcin Rempala, Janusz Kolodziej, Robert Miskowiak and Krys Kasprzak

I thought the whole idea of changing the format of the GP was to get rid of the riders that aren't good enough to be there. Pepe is a good rider but should never be in the GP series whether as a wild card or a full time rider.

He has had his chance and has been lucky to get a life line on a few occassions to get permanent wild cards from the FIM. He proved he is not good enough to be in the GP by failing to qualify out right at every attempt in th series.

Time to forget about people like him and give the opportunity to the likes of Marcin Rempala, Janusz Kolodziej, Robert Miskowiak and Krys Kasprzak

I'm sorry, did I miss something?

When did Pepe get a "lifeline" handed to him by the FIM?

He raced in 1997 as a full member of the series having qualified as the World under 21 Champion and then qualified for 1998 by winning the GP Challenge.

He failed to qualify for 1999. No "lifeline" was handed to him.

Similarly, he failed in the GP Challenge of 1999. No "lifeline" was handed to him for 2000.

The GP Challenge was, again, his route to the 2001 series.

Sadly, in 2001 he failed in both the GP series and the GP Challenge and, once again, no "lifeline" was handed to him so he sat out the 2002 series.

He did, however, manage to qualify through the GP Challenge in 2002 to get himself a place in 2003, so no "lifeline" needed by him there.

Then last year he, again, won the GP Challenge (this time at Poole) to earn his place in the series for 2004.

So, remind me, where exactly were the "lifelines" that you talk of? (yes, you belittled him even further by the use of the plural)

Every time Pepe has appeared in the GP series it has been because he has qualified to be in there, unlike several of his (supposedly) more illustrious colleagues.

I will, however, accept that once in the series, he has rarely done himself justice, but the mere fact that he has so consistently battled back into the series says a lot in itself.

As for talk of Rempala, Kolodziej, Miskowiak and Kasprzak, they will have earned their place when they can prove that they are better than Pepe....and averages suggest that none of them are.

That's not to say that they wont be better than him sometime in the future but at the moment, quite simply, they are not.

Can you tell I'm a Pepe fan, and desperate to see him on my Polish trips next season? :D

I enjoyed PePe in Poland this year ...

In fact - I think I enjoyed just everything about Poland ...

Well this is the GP abroad I'm planning to go to next season and I would like to see Pepe racing. However, I think somebody like Rempala after his performance in the WTC deserves a chance -but my money is on Pepe to be the wildcard :)

HenryW,

Clearly you got me at a moment of weakness to find me agreeable to be quoted after a shandy or 2 on Saturday evening :oops: Our conversation must have taken place around 2.00am on Sunday morning Polish time.

My own personal thought on this meeting is that Pepe should be a track reserve for the night along with an up and coming youngster, perhaps Kolodziej, Rempala or Miskowiak.

The wildcard itself, purely for his performance in the Wroclaw GP this year as a wildcard, must be given to Grzegorz Walasek. He was easily the most entertaining and exciting rider of the meeting and gave his all in each of his races, before bowing out in the semi-final.

Good to hear you are committed to Polish trips (plural) next year - I expect at least 3 out of you :blink:

Rico :rolleyes:

Agree with you on Walasek.

And then give Miskowiak and Kolodziej (World Cup performances) the two reserve spots so they get the experience of being in a GP. Even if they don't get many/any rides.

Hopefully they do this sort of thing for all the GPs. A rider capable of winning races in the Wildcard spot, with two youngsters in the reserve berths.