British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BilaHora

time for the english grand prix...

Wasn't it Berwick declaring war on Russia as well? Sergei Darkin better steer well clear of Bandits fans :mad:B)

Berwick at war with Russia? Another legend I'm afraid.

According to the legend, this began because Berwick, being officially of the kingdom of England, but not in it, was always mentioned separately in laws and proclamations. The Crimean War was declared on behalf of Britain and Berwick, but, so the story still goes, the Peace of Paris in 1856 missed out Berwick.

'Peterborough' in The Daily Telgraph in December 1935 recorded it was in October 1914 that the British Foreign Office hastily signed a peace treaty with Tsarist Russia tidying up this oversight. Unfortunately this was not true, the Foreign Office consulted in the 1930s and in 1965 could find no trace of this 'treaty.' Also, the documents relating to the declaration and peace do not separately mention Berwick, because by the Wales and Berwick Act of 1746 all references to England in Acts of Parliament were deemed to include Berwick, and Wales.

But the story still persists, as only a good urban legend can, and Berwickers would not have it any other way.

But are you from Berwick?  :)

Goodness gracious no :blink:

Sorry I read your original message as

After all, it used to be treated separately to England and Scotland is technically still at war with Russia as a result!

I think you might have left an and or therefore out of your sentence - sorry I hate being pedantic.

You just amaze me with some of the info you come out with sometimes Kevin.

Rico :rolleyes:

so THATS where they got the idea from for Passport to Pimlico :rolleyes:

Guest BilaHora

All

Okay - so we could have the British Grand Prix in England, the Welsh Grand Prix in Cardiff and the Berwick Grand Prix at Shielfield Park.

Regards

BilaHora

so THATS where they got the idea from for Passport to Pimlico

Apparently the idea came from the true wartime story of the Canadian parliament turning the maternity wing of a hospital into Dutch territory. This allowed the exiled Dutch Queen to give birth on Dutch soil, which is apparently necessary to inherit the throne.

You're quite right - the phrasing wasn't very good.  :(

Kevin,

I know I expect perfection from you, but realistically I can't expect it 100% of the time. Still it got some reaction :P I still prefer your side of things to all that urban myth nonsense :lol:

Edited by Rico

Ok, I have an idea to keep the Welsh and English happy (can you do such a thing?! ;) ). How about, a Welsh and English GP?! We can always have a Scottish Gp and a Berwick GP as well. Great Britain having 4 GP's eh?! Sounds good to me :D

Ok, I have an idea to keep the Welsh and English happy (can you do such a thing?! ;) ).  How about, a Welsh and English GP?!  We can always have a Scottish Gp and a Berwick GP as well.  Great Britain having 4 GP's eh?! Sounds good to me :D

You might as well throw a GP in Belfast in while you are at it.

Bottom line, it's gonna be the British GP - nothing else can compare to Cardiff GP in GB.

so THATS where they got the idea from for Passport to Pimlico

Apparently the idea came from the true wartime story of the Canadian parliament turning the maternity wing of a hospital into Dutch territory. This allowed the exiled Dutch Queen to give birth on Dutch soil, which is apparently necessary to inherit the throne.

There was also a part of the Hamburg Docks that was Czech territory.Something to do with shipping and customs laws.

And don't forget there is some corner of a foreign field that is for ever England.....

Edited by norbold