British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Al Stewart

Longest serving team captain

Duncrusadin when exactly did Barney take over and for how long was he Captain?

Looking through the old progs last night, it looks as though Ted succeeded Ross as skipper in '73. I'll have to do a more thorough check but I think Les Rumsey followed Ted and then Barney took over around '75 or '76.

So was Captain for about 9 or 10 years then as he stopped riding round about 85 didn't he?

I'm sitting here surrounded by Canterbury programmes and I think I can give you the definitive answer. Ted became captain in 1973 when Ross Gilbertson threw a sickie and then signed for Eastbourne (much to JSH's chagrin, I seem to remember). Ted retained the captaincy until he left for Hackney at the end of 1974. Les Rumsey was skipper in 1975 and Barney succeeded him the following year, 1976, and held the post until the end of the 1980 season. Mike Ferreira took over for 1981 (Barney skippered the side for a few matches towards the end of the season) and Denzil Kent had a go in 1982. Barney was back at the helm in '83 and 84.

Awwwwww thanks for that Duncrusadin, was nice to see a few names there from the past :cry::approve: