British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Diamond Exile

2005 GP Venues - Nearest Airports

Hi there,

I wonder if any experienced GP-goers could help me with a little bit of planning for next years GP series... i'm hoping to get to a few overseas gp's next year, and other than copenhagen and prague (obvious), i'm not 100% sure where abouts all of the tracks are located, or how to get to them.

I've had a look through recent postings on the forum and have found out about Lonigo / Verona airport.... could anyone help me fill in the gaps below:

Wroclaw - ???

Eskilstuna - ???

Krsko - ??? Ljubijana maybe? Then train?

Cardiff - OK

Copenhagen - OK

Prague - OK

Malilla - ???

Bydgoszcz - ???

Lonigo - Verona, then train / car?

I'd like to use easyjet / ryanair, but of course it may not be possible for all routes.

Thanks a lot!

ps - Sorry if i'm covering old ground with this post, but would be really helpful to get this info together in one place. Cheers.

Hi there,

I wonder if any experienced GP-goers could help me with a little bit of planning for next years GP series... i'm hoping to get to a few overseas gp's next year, and other than copenhagen and prague (obvious), i'm not 100% sure where abouts all of the tracks are located, or how to get to them.

I've had a look through recent postings on the forum and have found out about Lonigo / Verona airport.... could anyone help me fill in the gaps below:

Wroclaw - ???

Eskilstuna - ???

Cardiff - OK

Copenhagen - OK

Prague - OK

Malilla - ???

Bydgoszcz - ???

I'd like to use easyjet / ryanair, but of course it may not be possible for all routes.

Thanks a lot!

ps - Sorry if i'm covering old ground with this post, but would be really helpful to get this info together in one place. Cheers.

OK, here goes :

Wroclaw - See Bydgoszcz below

Eskilstuna - Stockholm Skavsta Airport is closest - There is a thread with links by "No Fear" (Ryanair)

Krsko - Ljubljana then train (Easyjet)

Cardiff - OK

Copenhagen - OK (Easyjet no longer fly to Copenhagen)

Prague - OK (Easyjet)

Malilla - Nearest Airport is Jonkopping I believe, but that isnt served by Ryanair...Flight to Gothenburg then a train perhaps ?

Bydgoszcz - Bydgoszcz Paderewski Airport (Fly from Stansted with "Air Polonia" - Polish version of Ryanair / Easyjet - www.airpolonia.com )

"Wizzair" (www.wizzair.com) Another Polish cheap airline is also an option

These two Airlines service Warsaw, Katowice, Gdansk & Bydgoszcz Airports

Easyjet also fly to Warsaw & Krakow now too.

Edited by jeffster

Hi there,

Wroclaw - ???

Eskilstuna - ???

Cardiff - OK

Copenhagen - OK

Prague - OK

Malilla - ???

Bydgoszcz - ???

Thanks a lot!

OK, here goes :

Wroclaw - See Bydgoszcz below

Eskilstuna - Stockholm Skavsta Airport is closest - There is a thread with links by "No Fear" (Ryanair)

Krsko - Ljubljana then train (Easyjet)

Cardiff - OK

Copenhagen - OK (Easyjet no longer fly to Copenhagen)

Prague - OK (Easyjet)

Malilla - Nearest Airport is Jonkopping I believe, but that isnt served by Ryanair...Flight to Gothenburg then a train perhaps ?

Bydgoszcz - Bydgoszcz Paderewski Airport (Fly from Stansted with "Air Polonia" - Polish version of Ryanair / Easyjet - www.airpolonia.com )

"Wizzair" (www.wizzair.com) Another Polish cheap airline is also an option

These two Airlines service Warsaw, Katowice, Gdansk & Bydgoszcz Airports

Easyjet also fly to Warsaw & Krakow now too.

Eskilstuna:

Västerås airport is closer, 40 mins by car...Ryanair do Stanstead-Västerås

Edited by NoFear

Just to add a couple of comments to Jeffster's very helpful posting.

Bydgoszcz, Air Polonia fly from Stansted but only in and out on a Sunday, though that might be handy for getting back to blighty if you don't plan on attending a league match on the Sunday or hanging around generally.

Poznan (served by Air Polonia) or Gdansk (Air Polonia / Wizz Air) would probably be easiest alternatives connecting to Bydgoszcz by train. Alternatively if you don't mind train journeys Bydgoszcz is around 4/5 hours by train from Warsaw, which has the most frequent flights and is served by Air Polonia, Wizz Air, Easyjet, BA, Lot, Sky Europe direct from UK.

For Wroclaw, Poznan again or Katowice and a 3 hour train ride. Alternatively you could look at Ryanair's site and see if they have introduced any new services to Poland :P £35 return including tax (dzięki bardzo LW), direct from Stansted to Wroclaw, no that can't be right :o Handy for popping over for a league match or SWC as well (though they are only selling tickets for travel to the the end of June at the moment).

Rico :rolleyes:

Ryanair start direct flights from Stansted to Wroclaw on 24th March. Fares for return flights to the GP on 30th April are currently on sale for about £30 plus taxes. They fly out daily at 12.05 and return at 15.35

Fares currently start at £3.99 each way on this route.

Thanks to Jeffster, NoFear, Rico and Lucky Star for your advice... I'll look forward to making some arrangements soon! Aren't Ryanair and Easyjet and the other lowcost airlines providing a great Speedway service? Cheers!

Does anyone know if Wroclaw airport is near Wroclaw as Ryan Air do have a reputation of saying a city when it isn't really there, its somewhere else eg. Prestwick to Glasgow. :rolleyes: ?

Didn't really want to go on Air Polonia again, that experience to Warsaw nearly put me off flying :shock:

Ryanair start direct flights from Stansted to Wroclaw on 24th March. Fares for return flights to the GP on 30th April are currently on sale for about £30 plus taxes. They fly out daily at 12.05 and return at 15.35

Fares currently start at £3.99 each way on this route.

Those sort of prices always worry me .

Do they supply a pilot ?

Do they bother to fuel the plane ?

For Wroclaw, Poznan again or Katowice and a 3 hour train ride. Alternatively you could look at Ryanair's site and see if they have introduced any new services to Poland  :P  £35 return including tax (dzięki bardzo LW), direct from Stansted to Wroclaw, no that can't be right  :o Handy for popping over for a league match or SWC as well (though they are only selling tickets for travel to the the end of June at the moment).

I'm slightly confused and concerned by the "can't be right" comment as I thought Rico had already booked my flights direct to Wroclaw for the GP! :blink:

Does anyone know if Wroclaw airport is near Wroclaw as Ryan Air do have a reputation of saying a city when it isn't really there, its somewhere else eg. Prestwick to Glasgow. :rolleyes: ?

Didn't really want to go on Air Polonia again, that experience to Warsaw nearly put me off flying :shock:

Meant to reply to this in my previous post as well.

Wroclaw airport seems to be fairly under-used at the moment, which is probably why Ryanair have been able to get in there.

From what I can gather, it's about 12 miles from the City Center with a regular bus service.

Having flown with both Ryanair and Air Polonia in the past, I think I'd prefer to go with the Poles again as their aircraft were far superior in terms of comfort and facilities, even if their pilots did take rather un-conventional approaches to the runway. :)

If it's the former military airfield, it's about 20 minutes by coach.

Guest BilaHora

All

What if one prefers Business class?

Regards

BilaHora

What if one prefers Business class?

I could be wrong, but I think that your only option for business class to Poland is to fly to Warszawa and then take a train to the GP venues.

As the train journey is likely to be longer than your flight in this case, it might be worth slumming it on the flight.....of course, if you want to buy me a business class ticket as well, then I would be happy to accompany you. :)

For Wroclaw, Poznan again or Katowice and a 3 hour train ride. Alternatively you could look at Ryanair's site and see if they have introduced any new services to Poland  :P  £35 return including tax (dzięki bardzo LW), direct from Stansted to Wroclaw, no that can't be right  :o Handy for popping over for a league match or SWC as well (though they are only selling tickets for travel to the the end of June at the moment).

Next time I find you a cheap flight hopefully it'll be for a GP I can go to. :sad:

Next time I find you a cheap flight hopefully it'll be for a GP I can go to.  :sad:

Indeed - ball is in your court LW !

Rico :rolleyes: