British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney Speedway

By the way has Tony Hurren been invited?

Yes of course, and indeed Tony is indeed up for it. He informs me that he will asking Hawkeye and Birdbrain. He's note sure if they will be in attendence as they both are now living in Cleethorpes or did he say Mablethorpe!

they both are now living in Cleethorpes or did he say Mablethorpe!

Tad, sure its not scunthorpe?? or could it be Rothersthorpe.. ?

From the last few years of Hackney running this time..... - are you going to (or have you) contacted Roland Pollard? Lost touch with him a few years ago now and would love to see him again!

Tad, sure its not scunthorpe??  or could it be Rothersthorpe.. ?

Oh dear, perhaps I misunderstood Mr Hurren. I have to check the local election register for Scunthorpe and Rotherthorpe now!

Sorry, and Terry Ripo?

Terry Ripo is on the list.

are you going to (or have you) contacted Roland Pollard?

Roland Pollard is also on the list.

I'm sure I have all the Hackney riders on "my list" Mr Norbold thank-you for the pre-war info on riders still alive.

Edited by Paul

Jack Tidbury is definitely still alive. I spoke to Nobby Stock's daughter this morning. She keeps in regular contact with him and spoke to him last week. He is 89 and still quite active apparently but she didn't think he would want to go to a Hackney reunion as he never goes to the VSRA dinner. However he would be worth asking. She thought the best thing would be if Archie asked him.

She agreed there are only three pre-War Hackney riders still alive, Archie, Jack and Vic Duggan.

By the way has Tony Hurren been invited?

I wrote to Jack Tidbury for the book but recieved no response.

Someone told me Vic Duggan has become a recluse and refuses to discuss speedway.

Someone told me Vic Duggan has become a recluse and refuses to discuss speedway.

Yes, Nobby's daughter told me that too. But didn't John Chaplin interview him for the VSM a year or so back?

Paul, thanks for organising this, I will be definately be there and will bring my nephew who used to run around in front of the 4th bend, he may be up for re-enacting, but he may not last 4 laps and doubt if his little overalls with all the speedway patches will still fit!

Would love to see the following if still around:~ Bobby McNeil, Finn Thomsen, Bo Petersen, Zenon Plech, Keith White, Dave Morton, Tony Featherstone, Steve Lomas, Uncle Len, the great Barry Thomas...in fact any speedway rider that put on the Hackney racejacket.

Look forward to it and will be in touch - Brian

Paul great to hear you are putting this together, best of luck with it, and I hope it's really successful. I will be unable to be there, living in the Philippines now. Although just returned from there after short vacation. Many memories of Waterden Road, all good. :) Vic Harding lounge nights as well as Speedway itself... Anyhow regards to all

'Skid'

I started to watch hackney from 1976 and finished 1980, my dad would take me but still have fond memories of waterdon road stadium. Saw the pictures of the stadium a few months back, very upset on how it looks today. Now living in cornwall, so hoping to be able to get up to be a part of it all. Got to say even though I was only young, still remember leaning over the stand wall overlooking the pits, and smelling the uforgettable aroma of the bikes revving away. Three years ago I went to watch speedway for the first time since 1980, at Trelawny Tigers in Cornwall. That aroma overtook me again. Am now upset again as we have lost our speedway down here now. I believe I was one of those kids running around with a crushed coke can on my foot too! Still remember showing off for one of the little rubber riders on the metal speedway bikes. Hoping that I can make it so I can meet Zenon Plech and Bo Peterson, still fond memories of Rye House Rockets too! Please, Please, Please let us know when and where! B)B)

I no it's been christmas and all that, but any news yet on riders and a date yet? Really excited by the whole two day's and want to put the dates in my diary asap!

Would love to see the following if still around:~ Bobby McNeil, Keith White,

Both very much still around, Bobby and Keith were at the VSRA last March and I must say neither have changed one bit. Although Keith is still miffed by the fact he never had a fan club although Seanie Sheeeeep is convinced he was in it :unsure: Think Keith may have been going for the sympathy vote :lol:

Would love to see the following if still around:~ Bobby McNeil, Keith White,

Both very much still around, Bobby and Keith were at the VSRA last March and I must say neither have changed one bit. Although Keith is still miffed by the fact he never had a fan club although Seanie Sheeeeep is convinced he was in it :unsure: Think Keith may have been going for the sympathy vote :lol:

Excellent, hope they will be at Hackney ReUnion, I was gutted when Bobby McNeil packed it in he was so unlucky with injuries during his speedway career. I have written an article for Backtrack about Keith's Intercontinental Final appearance hopefully it will appear sometime in a future issue. Tony Mac - any chance of interviewing these two former Hawks?

Brian, there's a good chance your 'Chalky' piece will be used in issue 6, though I have to guard against accusations of Hackney bias, when there are so many other ex-riders and tracks equally (well, almost!) deserving of attention...