British Speedway Forum
TwoMinuteWarning

QUIZ TIME!

Thanks for correcting my ossified memory Norbold.:oops:

It's one of those things that stuck out at the time but obviously I mixed up Ted with Alan.

As it involved Rye House, wonder if this was the inspiration for Uncle Len to inflict his silly double point TR/TS rules on us last year :P

Chapelizod - any info on line about this old club?

Not a thing. Would be good to have a website on Irish speedway history (there's a challenge for someone!)

Small piece (under D for Dublin) in the "Homes Of British Speedway" book. Track ran 1950, 51, 52, 54. Team known as the Dublin Lizods in 1950.

Chapelizod - any info on line about this old club?

Not a thing. Would be good to have a website on Irish speedway history (there's a challenge for someone!)

Small piece (under D for Dublin) in the "Homes Of British Speedway" book. Track ran 1950, 51, 52, 54. Team known as the Dublin Lizods in 1950.

With Easyjet fares so cheap and Raynair based out of Dublin this looks viable these days, I was just wondering if there was still any interest.

But if no-one's bothered to put any history on line in this day and age when there's a website about just about every subject it doesn't look like there's a market.

Thanks for the reply anyway TMW.

I guess the job of finding out more about Chapelizod should fall to me, seeing as it's my patch.

I know that there were a few teams/tracks in Ireland (mainly Dublin) in the 1950's.

There was one at Chapelizod (as you already know) which is a suburb of Dublin (3 or 4 miles outside of the city centre), there was one at Shelbourne Park (which is a 10 minute walk from the city centre), there was also one in a town called Drogheda (which is about 25/30 miles north of Dublin).

Shelbourne Park is still a dog track today, and some of the 3rd and 4th turns of the speedway track is still there.

I also think that someone once told me that there was a team in Harolds Cross (which, again, is a suburb of Dublin and is still a dog track) but I'm not 100% on that one.

I'll see what I can find out about these teams/tracks and report back in the new year.

Happy Christmas to you all.

Well the basics as Twominutewarning are to be found in the "Homes of British Speedway"

Drogheda-Probably only one meeting(1968) open

Harold's Cross-4 meetings(1928)

Santry-Number of meetings between 1948-50 and 1968 including Ireland vs England and even Santry vs Belle Vue Starlets

Chapelizod-1950-52,54

Shelbourne Park-1950-54,61,70-71.This was the track that Ronnie Greene used as a base for a group of riders from California in the 50's