4 C Gathercole Y 4

Time No time

FINALISTS

No Rider

3 Chris Holder

10 Cameron Woodward

5 Rory Schlein

6 Jason Doyle

Jason Doyle (Red) and Trevor Harding (Yellow) had a ride off to determine 4th spot in the final with Jason Doyle the winner

RESULT

No Rider Gate Place

3 Chris Holder R 1

10 Cameron Woodward B 3

5 Rory Schlein W 2

6 Jason Doyle Y 4

I take it that 1 means 1st --if it is well done Chris --no doubt Mick (his dad) and brother James are celebrating.

There'll be a few happy faces around Gosford I imagine!!

Well done Jason! :D

I think credit to Shona and Ron are due here.

That looks awfully like one of the many emails sent to the yahoo groups list.

Thanks for the updates Guys.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Agree BrizHeathen, Ron and Shona do a great job. I know the effort Ron puts in as I was sitting next to him !! An acknowledgement as to the source would have been nice.

The actual racing at Tamworth was great but unfortunately lots of the little things off the track seemed to go wrong. An announcer not getting names right, running out of programs, the programs weren't 100% accurate anyway, and no times always given were a few of the more glaring ones. Having said that I am aware that the organisers did have a few last minute problems and I know they were working their butts off to try and make it a success and perhaps I shouldn't be too harsh. The titles were buried in amongst too many races though (a total of about 60) and it was a bit of a let down having to also sit and watch juniors, junior sidecars, solo support, sidecar supprt, evolution class and some demonstration laps from the kids on the new 350cc bikes while really wanting to watch the main event.

The track is a big 450 meter track with wide bends and the racing was excellent. The four finalists (plus Trevor Harding) stood out and it was one event where the luck of the draw cost a rider dearly, in this case Rory Schlein. Heat 15 included three unbeaten riders plus Trevor Harding who had only dropped a point to that stage. Rory was stuck out in gate 4 and try as he may the inside gates were working better and Chris Holder / Woodward got out in front early and that was it. That gave Holder & Woodward first and second choice of gates in the final and again Rory couldn't get to the front into turn one from out wide and found himself third on settling down. He got past Cam later but Chris Holder was too far in front. I must say the NSW contingent in the crowd were very delighted with the winner. Hard luck story went to local lad Michael Slade who was trying ever so hard and broke the tapes on his first ride and was excluded, and then looped the bike off the start line in his next ride. The poor lad must have been really shattered after that sort of a start.

My personal thanks to the female half of the Schlein family too. After a muck up with flights I found myself on a later plane than I intended and on descent into Tamworth on the Friday evening (qualifying night) I was wondering why a charming young lady across the aisle was gesturing in my direction and pointing at me and then out the window. Hadn't she seen the grey hair or the huge age difference ? All was made clearer when we landed and it transpired she was Rory's sister and had seen my speedway shirt and she was pointing out the track. She then offered me a lift to the track with her mother who was picking her up. Nice people indeed !!

As an aside sorry to see you missed out on your dose of local Far North Qld speedway due to the rain. Better luck for the rescheduled date.

Not a lot I can add to what's already been said except that the Holder family (and others down here too I have to say) seem to have got things right by ensuring that Chris finishes an apprenticeship first before venturing over to the UK. There's no denying that he's a very talented rider indeed and the same can indeed be said for quite a few other of the youngsters on view over the two day meeting.

Now there am I the other side of the world to where I live and what happens? I bump into Dick Barrie that's what! AND more than that, turns out he's in the next room to myself and Ron Malm at the motel!

We reminisced over some old times including, of course, the imfamous "green light incident" at Berrington Lough when Hackney visited in 1988. :-)

Edited by Bryn

Guest Lissa

Well I havent got many pics uploaded yet.. they are all on the computer at home... but I have one of the podium here on my computer at work that I thought I would post...

RoryTamworth3.jpg

Was a great meeting, they got a large crowd.. which was great to see.. all of the marshalls and officals were great, and the championship racing was great.. I agree with everyone elses comments about the number of support races.

They should've held most of the younger races on the Friday night, and kept a couple for the saturday, because I know that standing on the in-field from 7pm till 12 midnight, holding a heavy camera setup really wasn't that fun....

anyway.. was great to meet some of the forum members (sir lunchalot and bryn) , and congrats to Chirs and his dad, I know that they put so much into the evening, and to have such a great result was fantastic!

anyway.. was great to meet some of the forum members (sir lunchalot and bryn) ,

Good to meet you too Lissa - happy snapping! :D