British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Graham

Memories Of White City

1976-77 ish....... Intercontinental Final or similar......... John Davis and Dave Jessup trying to team-ride and keep Peter Collins in third place, but PC split the pair of them in the fairest and best manouvre I can remember - that's the clearest memory I've got of White City.

Others include watching the riders appear from the tunnel under the centre green, the gap of about 6" between the stadium wall and the M40 fly-over, Bruce Penhall's British debut, the original Grand Prix Final, the echos and the street parking (happy days).

Funny thing that stays in my mind was the lamp standards laid down for daytime meetings to improve the sightlines

QPR football club had two spells at White City and you may be interested to know that there are proposals to build a new stadium at White City adjacent to the old place to house Fulham F.C.

I went to this stadium just once, it was a world final qualifying meeting, can't remember which one, don't remember much about the stadium either, but, as a Swindon supporter, what I do remember is Bob Kilby beating Ivan mauger!

probably Bob's only heat win of the night!

Guest Steve Dixon

Only went there once and what a dissapointment.

1982 Overseas final expecting the Mighty Mort to have a stunner(as he usually did there)Instead managed a score of around 4 points.......gutted.

That by the way was the Bruce Penhall meeting, if you know what i mean! :rolleyes:

Went to WC to see the Hull Lada Vikings ride a league match there in the afternoon

then onto Wimbledon for the Embassy International in the evening .

The Vikings won of course........remember Mitch Graham moved the signs on the centre green around to read.......WITE SCHITY BEREL....or something like that, it was a long time ago...........also seem to remember Hull won the Benidorm cup that day????????????????

Volume three of The Sweeney's DVD collection has the episode showing two riders going around White City one afternoon,circa 1976, in practice before pulling up on the dog track for a chat wiv mister regan.

There's about 50 seconds of "helmet cam" too.,

I used to travel on the A40 to work in Central London in the early 90's & always used to sit in the traffic trying to work out the layout of the stadium & feeling sad that it was covered in BBC Portakabins.

My only other memory is as a small child driving past on a coach when it was all lit up one night, must have been open, seemed massive