British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hazzman

Leicester Honours

Well at least we had TWO, yes TWO speedway tracks in Leicester once, Nerr, how many tracks have Coventry had? I'll tell you how many....err....two. :unsure:

(Actually we've had three. In the 50's there was one on the same road that I now live on, so stick that in yer pipe). :approve:

Edited by Liontamer

Go on then, I know about the Lions.................

What about the Hunters, surely they must have won something.

Does the Midland Riders Championship count? :P

Individual Honours are stretching it................

Midland Cup...............go on then :D

Refer to my earlier post, winners of the Midland Cup 3 times.

In the early 70's this was quite a tough cup to win competed for by Coventry, Cradley, Wolves, Oxford and Swindon as well as the Lions.

Honours or no honours, Leicester had one of the best race tracks in the country with lots of passing lines, unlike a certain other Midlands track in the same ownership.

It was an act of speedway vandalism of the greatest magnitude when Blackbird Road was sold for housing - and I have only been to Coventry once since, in 2004.

Quote from Martin Rogers book "In my View"

"I don't blame Charles Ochiltree or Midland Sports for cashing in 11.58 acres of inner city development land. But I won't ever forgive them for the manner in which it was done"

"We had not a word of warning, not a hint. We had gone through the rigmarole of moving house. The club had bought Mike Lanham and Eric Monaghan, when if we had known the closure was imminent, a loan deal or some temporary signings would have done just as well. I talked to riders about our on-going pland. We were already selling season tickets for 1984 when the news broke"

All this bearing in mind that preliminary talks with developers and planning officials had begun 9 months before.

No further comment necessary.

The last two posts sums it up nicely as far as I'm concerned. :angry:

BTW, in an earlier post I said Leicestershire had had three tracks, but I was wrong, they have in fact had four. Anyone like to have a guess a to where the fourth track was? & no, I'm not referring to the indoor speedway held at Granby Halls in the early 70's. ;)

Racing at Melton Mowbray in 1949.

(from Homes of British Speedway)

On a serious note,

Charles Ochiltree was a bit of a promoting legend in my eyes, obviously he won't be that popular in Leicester if this is in fact what he did......

What is it they say about sucessful business men & being ruthless?

He certainly was sucessful, as I recall during the 70's 80's he was one of the few, if not the only full time speedway promoter around....

And by all accounts he was equally ruthless.....

Wonder why he never gave Rogers the chance to own Blackbird Rd?

It would also be nice to get the full version of events from both sides as to the events surrounding the sale :rolleyes:

Charles Ochiltree was a bit of a promoting legend in my eyes, obviously he won't be that popular in Leicester if this is in fact what he did......

Now you know why a lot of ex-Leicester fans wouldn't ever go to Brandon. :mad: It wasn't so much the closure of the track but the manner in which it was done, as Martin has said in his book and which he repeated at the recent Leicester reunion.

It's no good being bitter though, if you love Speedway you transfer to the nearest track, which in my case was Coventry.

It would also be nice to get the full version of events from both sides as to the events surrounding the sale .

Don't think we will ever get to know that now Mr O. isn't around any more. I reckon it was because Leicester used to beat Coventry so many times he was getting rid of a

rival track. :wink:

Edited by Gemini

Don't think we will ever get to know that now Mr O. isn't around any more. I reckon it was because Leicester used to beat Coventry so many times he was getting rid of a

rival track.  :wink:

Its funny how the years cloud your mind Gem, I seem to recall regular tonkings for the lions at the hands of the mighty Bees' :D

With regard to moving to you nearest track should yours close, a word of caution, Wolves :shock::(

No chance of me ever battling through the traffic on the M6 every week. I don't like going to Monmore at the best of times. I can't take the dog with me and everyone is squashed in on the home straight. Not my favourite place unfortunately. :sad:

I've got to say I would struggle, I've been to Sheffield a few times as its only up the road, but its just not the same as supporting the Bees' :(