1987 0.00

1988 0.00

1989 0.01

1990 -2

1991 -3

sorry ... exaggeration was always my strongest point :oops:

Guest theuniversal
Anyone got this guys avgs when he rode?  :oops:

Why do you find it embarrassing to ask this question? Do you think because someone has the balls to get on a speedway bike and give it a go whether they are good at it or not they should be embarrassed? I presume you've hopped on a bike yourself and had a go, if so, maybe you would like to share with us how you got on.

sometime ago ( over 10 years ) i had three third places & a dnf @ a training school match , and one of them was behind glyn taylor & steve johnston ( once sick in my car too ) i was only a third of a lap behind them & i loved every moment of my skidding days , i wasnt any good but enjoyed it all the same , anyone who has a go has my respect

I don't think it is anybody demeaning Steve's achievements, more that he often takes the Mickey out of himself on here.

For example, I posted earlier on this thread, having a bit of a larf, but only because Steve struck first by posting obviously false averages.

From memory, Steve Hone was quite a good National League rider, probably better than any of us keyboard jockeys would have been.

I once sat on Gavin Hedge's stationary bike inside Bawburgh Village Hall.

That was enough for me... :o

:lol: Steve was world class over the first 30 yards and not too bad over the rest of the race at national league level.

Why do you find it embarrassing to ask this question?

i find it embarrassing to tell them :oops:

:lol: Steve was world class over the first 30 yards

i don't believe you saw me get further than 30 yards :unsure:

i had to chuckle when i phoned into North Norfolk Radio a couple of weeks back when Mike Bennett was presenting the show ... he gave me a real big build-up as someone that was always entertaining and always gave 110% ... he also said i'd had a few scrapes with safety fences.

the reason for this was all about winning .. i wanted to win .. what was the point in coming second, that's just first loser.

i sat on the bike not wanting to be beaten by anyone ... we can all dream.

i rode against the likes of Chris Louis, Leigh Adams and loads of other quality riders and was lucky enough to ride in the same teams as Steve Regeling, Richard Green, Dave Mullett, Mike Spink, Moggo etc etc

most of all, looking back now, i had a fantastic time whether i averaged 0.00 or 10.00, and i made a lot of friends all over the place.

Edited by stevehone

Anyone got this guys avgs when he rode?  :oops:

i think my 'better' season was 1989 ... average according to the yearbook was 4.00

unfortunately there are a lot of people on here that don't know what the National League was.

Guest Starbuck

I remember the NL very well.

I remember Canterbury very well.

The likes of Tilbury, Whitaker, Pettman, Hubbard, Kennett, Mullet, Spink etc but I am sorry to say you are not ringing any bells at all?

:blink:

Why do you find it embarrassing to ask this question? Do you think because someone has the balls to get on a speedway bike and give it a go whether they are good at it or not they should be embarrassed? I presume you've hopped on a bike yourself and had a go, if so, maybe you would like to share with us how you got on.

Hi sorry i must have hit the wrong smilee by mistake

there was no mallace intended from my part, just wonderd how good the guy was.

And yes i have had a skid,alas i only made it into the old trackstar junior league

avg of 3.45. Then a broken collarbone and lack of funds finished my short but happy spell.

The likes of Tilbury, Whitaker, Pettman, Hubbard, Kennett, Mullet, Spink etc but I am sorry to say you are not ringing any bells at all?

:blink:

you don't realise how pleased i am of that fact :D

and the fact i haven't heard of a lot of riders doesn't make them a bad rider

Edited by stevehone

The days of the NL will forever be etched into my memory - a time of uprights, rounds and rounds of qualifying for British and World Championships, the NLRC at Wimbledon THE event of the year (Peterborough and Coventry never did it for me) - teamriding - faceguards - and riders with characters instead of flash helmets

I would give anything to be able to turn the clock back and do what you did Steve - being part of a club setup and experience racing that hard and close must be immense