British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent Vega

Andy Galvin

Was a good rider when he decided to ride and not try to act the hardman, rememeber swindon at hackney in 88 at the end of the season when he ran into Erik Stenlund literally. :P

Just think Dekk's after that he could have had Andy Silver for afters, and Brian Karger for cheese and biscuits :D

Wonder who the coffee's would have been?

Still he was a good rider and I admired him!

Just think Dekk's after that he could have had Andy Silver for afters, and Brian Karger for cheese and biscuits :D

Wonder who the coffee's would have been?

Still he was a good rider and I admired him!

Galvini wouldn't have had only 1 rider per course!

How did you get near him in the first place Honey you were a No 7 and he was a 10pt man in the NL!!

this was 1987 and i believe Hackney were BL ... was a start of season challenge i think.

maybe he was just coming round to lap me and i fell off?

i think the truth of it was that he didn't like being beaten out of the gate by a number 7

Edited by stevehone

Brian

I understand Re-Run productions should still have some copies of Andys story give them a bell. Hackney were in the BL in 87 Steve quite right I remember you riding second halves at Plough Lane were you up against Jay Pleece and Phil Vance people like that? I reckon you could do a job for Sittingbourne what Grading would you be these days?

Why would Erik do that, just a look sent Galvin scuttling, but maybe the large spanner helped too.

Weird the way so many of the "he never done a thing wrong" people slide into the background when a few others disagree with there rose tinted views.

Edited by mbbunyan

Weird the way so many of the "he never done a thing wrong" people slide into the background when a few others disagree with there rose tinted views.

Think, to be fair, that part of his popularity was the scrapes that he managed to get himself in and Hackney fans will always associate him with the best times at the club, and other characters such as Roland Danno, Moggo, Thommo, etc...

Andy certainly got in the middle of some trouble, and a decent amount of the time it was his fault, BUT this was usually owing to his over enthusiasm rather than anything malicious.

So Jason Bunyan is whiter than white then is he Michael? Stuffed Danny Bird at Reading then has the same done to him a few weeks later thats the way it goes my friend. Jason Bunyan isnt fit to lace Andy Galvins boots as a rider. Andy averaged 10pts a meeting in the equivalent of todays PL for 3 seasons on the trot.

Jason wouldnt have a chance of doing that in todays PL pigs might fly!!!

what has Mike got to do with Jason Bunyan??

i can't see where he's ever mentioned him, so why bring that rider up?

if it's because they share a surname, it doesn't mean Mike is a fan of Jason :blink:

All getting a tad silly isn't it? Of course we know it would be tosh to say that Andy was blameless for all incidents he was involved in - just as the same could be said any any rider over the years and indeed still riding.

What he was though was a very talented rider indeed and THE major player in Hackney's brilliant 1988 side.

Always though Galvin was a useful enough rider, but that season Hackney had in the British League really helped him a lot. He came back down to the National League a transformed rider in my view.

what has Mike got to do with Jason Bunyan??

i can't see where he's ever mentioned him, so why bring that rider up?

if it's because they share a surname, it doesn't mean Mike is a fan of Jason  :blink:

I was wondering what the connection was also. :angry:

I never liked any kind of dirty riding by anyone no matter what team.

Guest schumifan

Andy Galvin was one of the greatest riders in the league. Him and Schoie consistently traded maximums, consistently rode some tremendous races and consistently won the silver helmet. The crash at Rye House was horrific, one of the worst I had seen, and even as we watched him bouncing off the back fence, landing and not moving, clearly seriously hurt, there were people cheering :mad:

Regarding his comeback at Arena, I am no statistician, but didn't he score 6 or so points? Not bad for someone who hadn't ridden in years and well done to TR for having faith in him.

I could have papered walls with my Andy Galvin pictures. Oh the memories :)

ewwwwww just the thought of Andy Galvin and that hairy mole all over the wall oh yuk! :lol::P

My point was he was not the angel a few were trying to paint him as and I stick by that opinion.

I will back you up on that, I also seem to recall an incident with the LE start marshall the season after the incident mentioned earlier in the thread.