British Speedway Forum
Subedei

Danish Grand Prix - Copenhagen

I know what is getting boring about the GPs and thats people saying that Rickardson is cheating. I personally dont like the guy but you cannot say that he isnt the best rider currently on the scene. I cant say if he is or isnt the best ever as I didnt see most of the older rides when they were competiting.

You can also guarantee that if any seriously believed he was cheating in some way then the other riders would be all over him. He may well have found some technological advantage that is helping him in some way but I bet its well within the rules. It happens at the top levels in all sport - look at F1, cycle racing and even javelin throwing. All have been changed by technological developements to some extent whether said developments have eventually been outlawed or not.

As to the Penske thing they are adamant that there is no official company involvement and why would there be? Speedway is still a mickey mouse sport compared to the likes of f1 and NASCAR etc where the money involved is 100 times greater. If Penske are like most engineering firms they allow there staff to work using their machinery at the weekends and in their spare time. It keeps the staff happy and doesnt cost them anything. This is what is happening regarding Penske and Rickardsson. IIRC Trick isnt even using the frames at the moment as he thought they needed more development before they are ready.

At a guess I would suspect its to do with the carbon frames rigid properties. Carbon composites are very strong but that can also be a disadvantage. I do not know with specific regard to speedway frames but would suspect that a totally rigid frame would hamper the ability to flex and this could affect the power delivery of the machine. Carbon composites also tend to be brittle in some planes and it only takes a small force to break them in the wrong plane. Thats why most are made of weaves but even so the force a speedway bike generates and the surface it encounters could cause the frame to break.

If one rider is capable of overcoming these problems and working it out its got to be Trick. At the end of the day people who think his sole advantage comes from his bikes are deluded at best. You can see riders who do not have his ability on fast bikes and they struggle - a good example of this is Lindback. A talented rider no doubt at all but his bikes appear to be often too quick for him and this gets him into trouble.

One thing though - everyone who thinks the title is over already - what would happen if Trick gets injured. Its not likley and he would have to miss 2 or more GPs even then to be caught but it could happen.

I was probably the happiest Dane at the race last night, although with my Rickardsson cap on everybody thought I was Swedish anyway. It was a great race and I can't wait till next year.

I can understand how anybody who's not a TRick fan would think the GPs are boring but for me it just gets more exciting every time he wins. I was there when he won in Vojens in '99, and if he is doing even nearly as well as he is now next year I will be there to see him win his 7th title wherever it might be.

We are watching a true champion of the sport and should be enjoying every second of it instead of calling him a cheeter without any evidence at all. If you took any other rider and gave him Tony's bike and team then he might win more races than now but not be nearly as dominant as Tony is, IMO.

Guest Jim Blanchard

Tricks bike is maybe using telemetry or an engine management system, the computer with the appropriate software is simply recording that information and then changing the basic settings as instructed and I am sure, if he can do it everyone else can. With speedway as I see it would be restricted to advancing or retarding the ignition system or making the fuel mixture richer or weaker or a combination of both. Smoothing out the power delivery and torque curve would be a possible advantage here. The changing of gear ratios could not be completed without the use of some metal tools though.

Most modern cars have an engine management system. Its a not a big deal its just a small computer like electronic box that takes care of all the car's major functions that are set by the factory for optimum performance. Some people play about with this to produce more power, which is generally known as 'chipping'.

The thing is its all possible and anyone could do it if he is, but I just feel that he is just a better rider and can sort his settings out and ride the thing better than anyone else. Again, I would say if he has something special, on loaning it to other riders would they be as quick or win in the fashion he does. Personally, I seriously doubt it.

i'm not sure you are following - you would need a set of variables to be able to align like this and surely they would involve the circuits themselves????????

I'm following you Splatty, but my post didn't really convey what I was getting at.

The efficiency of the engine isn't by any means the be all and end all, its entire set up of the bike that you need to be correct, and this as we all know changes as the meeting progresses, and that, is in essence what I was saying.

Did anyone else notice the Coventry fairies in the coverage?

Can anyone tell me when abouts in the coverage were they shown on t.v please

When they were trying to sort the tapes out....just after Lee Richardson was almost garroted.

Although banned, there is currently no test in Speedway being used for detecting titanium and exotic alloys, the scrutineering in GP's is basic to say the least and would probably shock most people.

Think you have your facts wrong because I know for sure that ALL machines are examined before practice and before the GP and that tests are carried out for titanium. Random fuel tests are also carried out during the GP even though the fuel is supplied and random machine examinations are also carried out during the GP. The rostrum finishers machines are also subject to examination directly after the meeting, they are not even allowed to return to their pit bay. I don't think there is anything shocking about that.

Be interesting to compare crowd figures for the remaining GP,s as TR is so far ahead barring injury the rest of the series is rapidly becoming pointless, its ironic sky dabble with league racing (the hated T/R rule) to try to guarentee close meetings and their flagship has become one long bore you still cant beat the atmosphere and unpredictability of the one off final, the meetings along the way to the one off were also something else, the european final, nordic, british final when it meant something, sorry for me the GP is a bore fest.

Think you have your facts wrong because I know for sure that ALL machines are examined before practice and before the GP and that tests are carried out for titanium. Random fuel tests are also carried out during the GP even though the fuel is supplied and random machine examinations are also carried out during the GP.  The rostrum finishers machines are also subject to examination directly after the meeting, they are not even allowed to return to their pit bay. I don't think there is anything shocking about that.

pizzed myself laughing,all machines are checked for titanium,yeah right!!....they find hard enough to check oversized carbs let alone over-sized engines etc,etc.....wake up to reality sun-shine and smell the coffee!!

Also do you honestly think that if one of the riders was on something illegal it would be made public knowledge,me thinks not as the poor publicity would darken the image of speedway.

However it would be nice if all the bikes of the riders who finished on the rostrum were taken apart and measured!!!

TR's had the best bikes around for an awfully long time.

Even last year, when he was in the mood, he'd be miles ahead of everyone. But he'd fall, or get a knock (Wroclaw, Prague) and that'd be the end of his night.

This year he's showing the determination of old. The knocks aren't affecting him. And he's romping away with the series.

pizzed myself laughing,all machines are checked for titanium,yeah right!!....they find hard enough to check oversized carbs let alone over-sized engines etc,etc.....wake up to reality sun-shine and smell the coffee!!

Also do you honestly think that if one of the riders was on something illegal it would be made public knowledge,me thinks not as the poor publicity would darken the image of speedway.

However it would be nice if all the bikes of the riders who finished on the rostrum were taken apart and measured!!!

I think it's you that needs to wake up and smell the coffee as you obviously have no idea what happens behind the scenes at the GP's.

QUOTE(Trees @ Jun 25 2005, 10:46 PM)

TBC or so it said in the Cardiff proggie apparently, wonder if it was TBC in the Copenhagen programme ......... anyone??

Still down as TBC.

Why isn't Tony revealing his tuner? Or are there other riders down as TBC?

I think it's you that needs to wake up and smell the coffee as you obviously have no idea what happens behind the scenes at the GP's.

yeah right,so how do they check for titanium???....and please let me know the last time they stripped down an engine and measured it properly????....go put the Kenco and then take a deep inbreath.