British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shale Eater

Scandinavian GP - Meeting comments

What a meeting with some hard racing .I felt sorry for nicki .Nicholls done well if only he can get into that final but the semi is still good and if he can get into next year by geting into this semi it will do his confordance a world of good .lee richarsion a good frist ride and then went down hill .Well done to crump hard luck to tony.

Best GP I've seen for many a long month. Probably had much to do with the fact there was loose stuff on the track :approve: and Olsen couldn't have his ultra boring slick track. We had decent racing right from heat 1.

If it takes a few rainstorms to ensure racing tracks, bring on the clouds is what I say :D

Referee was absolute crap IMO, he got every single decision wrong. I'm amazed he managed to get his socks on his feet and not on his head.

Quote of the night from Millard as Gollob rode back to the pits "I thought he was applauding the referee" :wink:

Edited by Star Lady

Guest Shale Eater

Well done Crumpy but a special well done to AJ. With the Gollob-Pedersen incident, was I the only one who saw Nicki take out TG's elbow???? IMO Nicki deserved to go and as usual Tantrum, Ermolenko and Millard were talking crap

Well, as ever, here's my assessment of tonight's riders:

Leigh Adams: One of his better GP efforts this season. Did well to make the final, but never looked like a winner.

Hans Andersen: Another pretty dreadful GP night for Andersen. He’ll be lucky to still be around the GP circus next season.

Jason Crump: A super GP from the champ. His ride in the final was outstanding and he keeps the GP season alive – just.

Tomasz Chrzanowski: Awful. He’ll not be around next season.

Jonas Davidsson: I thought this was an encouraging display from the youngster. Certainly wasn’t disgraced and will have learnt much.

Tomasz Gollob: A major disappointment after last weekend SWC. He was lucky to stay in a couple of heats after hitting the deck. Will have to do an awful lot better at Bydgoszcz.

Jaroslaw Hampel: Another major disappointment. With a bit of luck he might’ve made the semis. But he didn’t and he didn’t really deserve to.

Greg Hancock: Did well to make the semis, but you couldn’t see him getting beyond the semis.

Andreas Jonsson: Disappointing in his first ride and outstanding from then on. Had a great battle with Crump in the final and was a little unfortunate not to win the GP. His best GP of the season by miles.

Antonio Lindback: Battled hard and did well enough. Didn’t get up to any tapes mischief either. So things are improving.

Scott Nicholls: Outstanding in the qualifiers, but you suspected it would all go wrong in the semis. And it did. Another encouraging show from the fellow, but he’s got to start getting the semis right.

Bjarne Pedersen: And his poor GP – good GP run just keeps going. Actually I thought BP was a little unlucky tonight and a little too honest for his own good. He could’ve stayed down in his 4th heat and taken his chances. But he didn’t and it might’ve cost him a semi place. Expect to see him challenging at Bydgoszcz.

Nicki Pedersen: Was unlucky to be excluded when Gollob went down. He made the semis, but will be disappointed with this GP.

Lee Richardson: Started well, was unlucky in his second outing with the tapes problem and then faded badly – very badly. You can’t see him being with the GP circus next season.

Tony Rickardsson: A disappointing GP for TR. But he still made the final and finished third. Just shows you the high standards the fellow has set this season when third is disappointing.

Ryan Sullivan: Was he there? Another anonymous display from a rider you can’t see being in the circus next season.

Forgive me if I've put someone in the semis who wasn't. I'm getting very old and doddery.

Nothing to do with the party in the updates then Sub :wink:

Guest Shale Eater

Subedei, just read your excellent post on your opinions on the riders at tonight's GP and, although I agree with most of what you said, I have a couple of points to make.

When typing about AJ, you said that this was his best GP of the year by miles. What about Cardiff????

I have to disagree about what you typed about Gollob. I thought his battle with Crump was worthy of any GP final let alone qualifying heat. I thought TG was value for money again, and will be a force in Bydgoszcz.

I think the Pedersen-Gollob incident saw the correct decision made. I have mentioned this some where else so won't go into detail.

Finally, totally agree with you on Tomasz Chrzanowski, Ryan Sullivan and Lee Richardson's GP days being over. I think we can also add Hans Andersen to the list.

Feel free to reply and I look forward to reading your next report in 2 weeks time.

When typing about AJ, you said that this was his best GP of the year by miles. What about Cardiff????

Jonsson was indeed superb at Cardiff. But he chose a poor gate in the semis and didn't make the final. Thus, this was his best GP of the season. Perhaps not by miles, but by quite a distance.

I thought his battle with Crump was worthy of any GP final let alone qualifying heat. I thought TG was value for money again, and will be a force in Bydgoszcz.

I agree his battle with Crump was excellent. But you always knew Crump was going to win it. Gollob was certainly value for money, as ever, but I doubt he'll be happy with his performance tonight.

Finally, totally agree with you on Tomasz Chrzanowski, Ryan Sullivan and Lee Richardson's GP days being over. I think we can also add Hans Andersen to the list.

I thought I had:

Hans Andersen: Another pretty dreadful GP night for Andersen. He’ll be lucky to still be around the GP circus next season.
Edited by Subedei

I do hope Hans' GP days are over (ignoring the fact I really dislike the guy) so that Puk gets a chance.

Cant see Andersen losing his G.P. place ..........

As long as Meridian Lifts are one of the main sponsors .

Where ever Meridian Lifts go so does Hans Andersen .

Guest Shale Eater

Thanks Subedei for replying. I think if Hans isn't in the GP's next year, his place will probably go to Kenneth Bjerre rather than Niels Iversen. (Sorry SCB :rolleyes: )

As for the Pedersen-Gollob incident, I thought Nicki P jumped the start in the re-run anyway. But it doesn't look as if referees are bothering with unsatisfactory starts anymore. There were a couple tonight that he let go. And, of course, the Lindback couple in the SWC final that were allowed to go.

I thought TG was lucky to get away without an exclusion. But I was certainly pleased he did. But he's got to start riding "smarter" races. He could've, possibly should've won 3 - 4 races there tonight. But he didn't. And it's because he leaves too much space for riders with too much class, and Lee Richardson.

Guest Shale Eater

Agree with you about the 'smarter' races. If TG rode a 'smart' race in the semi instead of trying to fence Nicki Pedersen at every oppertunity, he would've made the final.

Thanks Subedei for replying. I think if Hans isn't in the GP's next year, his place will probably go to Kenneth Bjerre rather than Niels Iversen. (Sorry SCB :rolleyes: )

Why? Puk is better in the few GP's he had rode in. Puk has a higher Danish League average. Bjerre is marginally higher in the EL. Puk is better in the Swedish League. Puk scored more in the SWC round they both rode in and got picked ahead of Bjerre by his own team manager in the other.

So apart from being slightly better in the EL, how is Bjerre better and more deserving of a GP place than Iversen? Lets not forget, Bjerre is a boring gating tart who will bring very little to the series compared to Puk who is an exciting racer.

Obviously, both should be in the GP really but I think it's a case of one or t'other.

Guest Shale Eater
Why?  Puk is better in the few GP's he had rode in.  Puk has a higher Danish League average.  Bjerre is marginally higher in the EL.  Puk is better in the Swedish League.  Puk scored more in the SWC round they both rode in and got picked ahead of Bjerre by his own team manager in the other.

So apart from being slightly better in the EL, how is Bjerre better and more deserving of a GP place than Iversen?  Lets not forget, Bjerre is a boring gating tart who will bring very little to the series compared to Puk who is an exciting racer.

Obviously, both should be in the GP really but I think it's a case of one or t'other.

I was thinking more of the fact that Bjerre had a couple of rounds as reserve.