British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sotonian

Tarmac Track Surfaces

An idea floated by, I think, Bob Dugard back in the late 1970's. I can't remember much debate about it so I'll try and start some here.

Pros (in no particular order)

No gardening

Easy track preparation

Little track maintenance during meetings (watering on very hot days)

Fewer rain-offs

Consistent surface - no ruts, holes and bumps

More tracks - share with stock cars

Cleaner for riders - keeps sponsors happy

Cleaner for spectators - watch from the bends in comfort

Fewer track staff required

Cons (again, no particular order)

Different riding technique required? How difficult is it to broadside on tarmac?

Different starting technique required? The concrete starting areas of the 1950's were problematic.

'Blue-line' rubber deposits, especially in the wet.

International adoption of the surface

Fewer track staff required

Fewer track staff appears in both lists since it's good for the promoter but bad if you happen to be one.

I vaguely remember this being brought up and Martin Ashby being absolutely horrified at the idea.

A tarmac track would probably be the end of speedway as we know it, as I'm pretty certain thee would be no more broadsiding on the corners. They use tarmac tracks in Japan and lean the bikes on the corners without sliding.

The significant thing about this crazy idea is that it never got of the ground at all.

Quite right too! I can vividly imagine the mass migration by speedway fans nationwide. What you have outlined is not speedway racing and bears not resemblance to it.

I speak from 59 years experience as a speedway supporter when I say in the unlikely event of that ever happening it will anihilate speedway racing!!

The significant thing about this crazy idea is that it never got of the ground at all.

You've not been to Poole then?

You've not been to Poole then?

This space has intentionally been left bereft!

I'm not so sure that it is as silly as it first sounds. With modern power outputs and tyre technology it must be possible to find a combination that would make broadsiding quicker than 2 wheeling round. The main problem that I can foresee is making a track that has more than one line but with careful attention to the camber I reckon that would also be possible. Maybe there is some sort of coating that could be applied that would offer more grip in certain areas of the track or different types of tarmac could be used to the same effect. The only trouble is that it could take years of experimentation to get it working.

I'm not so sure that it is as silly as it first sounds. With modern power outputs and tyre technology it must be possible to find a combination that would make broadsiding quicker than 2 wheeling round. The main problem that I can foresee is making a track that has more than one line but with careful attention to the camber I reckon that would also be possible. Maybe there is some sort of coating that could be applied that would offer more grip in certain areas of the track or different types of tarmac could be used to the same effect. The only trouble is that it could take years of experimentation to get it working.

'Years of experimentation' would suit me, provided that no active speedway track was used for that purpose. Hopefully by the time it became the norm for tracks, if ever it did, I would have checked into the Horizontal Hilton and be watching the sport in that great speedway stadium in the sky [aka Hyde Road] - arguably the best purpose built speedway track in British history.

I say 'arguably' because someone always does - it's called discussion!