British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Academy Fixture Tonight - Sheffiled

"Sheffield are also pleased to be staging a second half academy fixture featuring some of Britain's best young under-16's.

The meeting will be staged over eight races and fans are urged to stay behind and give the youngsters some encouragement."

http://www.sheffieldspeedway.com/

Thanks Phil. I would of left the meeting after heat 15 if I hadn't seen this.

Does any one know who the riders are for this Academy meeting?

The mini match was abandoned after heat 5 after a bad crash. George Jarvis slid off on the first turn of the [ second ? ] lap and unfortunately Joe Haynes and Ben Hopwood came down too.One of the lads ran right over George.He was on the track receiving medical attention for several minutes and as the ambulance would be leaving and it was almost the 10 pm curfew it was decided to call a halt.The last we heard on leaving,the announcer said he had a suspected broken leg but it was not 100% confirmed.The other two lads walked away ok.Best wishes to George for a speedy recovery. There were several programme changes and the PA system was abysmal.I didnt get the Buffalos number 5 it sounded like Jamie Pickard or even Pickles.Apologies.

BUFFALOS 16 - COBRAS 13

Matt Bates 3 3 - 6

Joe Reynolds 0 0 3 - 3

George Jarvis fx fx - 0

Brendan Johnson 2 3 - 5

Jamie Pickard 2* - 2+1

Ben Taylor 2 1* - 3+1

Joe Haynes 1* 2 2 - 5+1

Ben Hopwood ef 1 - 1

Ben Hannon 3 1 - 4

Ben Thompson ef - 0

Edited by Philip Addison

Poor George, hasn't had a very good time of it lately, glad to see matt's ok though :D

hope you have a speedy recovery George :)

I was upset to see the pit gate marshall not allowing the dad/mechanic of the injured riders on to the track. It is a rule implemented at Sheffield for the Premier League team, but when you have Kids riding, crashing heavily and needed hospital treatment don't you think the rule can be relaxed?

Hope all the riders involved are ok.

I was upset to see the pit gate marshall not allowing the dad/mechanic of the injured riders on to the track.  It is a rule implemented at Sheffield for the Premier League team, but when you have Kids riding, crashing heavily and needed hospital treatment don't you think the rule can be relaxed?

Hope all the riders involved are ok.

You need to look at it from the Paramedics point of view I think. The last thing they need when tending an accident is an over emotional parent/mechanic/friend getting in thier way. Thats not meant in an unkind way, but the medics need space to do thier jobs. I realise that it is hard for a parent to stand in the pits and wait and I can understand thier anguish but it is in the best interest of the injured rider.

Would not be suprised if the pit gate marshall was acting under instruction from the chief medical officer at this point.

I too hope the involved are ok.

You need to look at it from the Paramedics point of view I think. The last thing they need when tending an accident is an over emotional parent/mechanic/friend getting in thier way. Thats not meant in an unkind way, but the medics need space to do thier jobs. I realise that it is hard for a parent to stand in the pits and wait and I can understand thier anguish but it is in the best interest of the injured rider.

Would not be suprised if the pit gate marshall was acting under instruction from the chief medical officer at this point.

I too hope the involved are ok.

I know that the pit marshalls give out sheets to mechanics telling them that they aren't allowed on to the track. However...if the medics need space to treat the rider then clear all the other people away (the start marshall, the announcer, the track graders) all who were around the lad last night, doing nothing but stare. His dad/mechanic whatever (especially at the young age they are) should be allowed to see how he is, to know if he needs to pack the van up and get gone.

What would you want to see if you are 15 and laying on the track after a nasty accident? Your mum or dad? I know I would.

When riders fall off sometimes they don't want their families to be around them. When i fall off when im injured i don't really like my sis, or my best mate being around me, its nice to know they care but they crowd the first aiders and you just want them to get on with their job. Some relatives can get panicky thats basicly why they don't let them onto the track.

When im laid out on the track in pain the last thing i want is people around me especially histerical friends or family. I know it seems right to let family out because all these riders are at such a young age. I was watching from in the pits and the only time there were trackstaff etc around them was when there were 2 or 3 of them on the ground the first aiders can't do it all themselves. If you noticed when there was just George down on the floor many left just the first aiders. For example my sister she rides aswell as me when she crashes and doesnt get up its difficult to not run to see how she is. Like at Scunthorpe she went into the fence, i was able to get onto the centre green and to see her after wards but i wasn't allowed near her whilst on the track and its for the best because if relatives get hysterical it makes the rider hysterical sometimes. The pit marshall;/track staff were only doing as they are told.

good to see matt Bates riding again after his bad injury