British Speedway Forum
Papa Bazarou

Bydgoszcz 2005 - A Ringside Perspective

One or two snaps on my poor back up Fisher Price style camera

Jeez - it actually takes pictures ! I thought it squirted water !

Good to meet up again looiking forward to next year already.

Just back today from our first ever experience of a Polish GP.

What can I say?!!!!!!

Gollob brilliant, Polish fans out of this world.

It was nice to meet a few forum members, with special thanks to Rico and Mateusz and the rest of the Bydgoszcz Net Fans for saving us an excellent seat on the back straight.

Thanks also to TheStartTart for the birthday cake in the Brda.

Tony, Lesley & Lynsey (the 2.5 Ipswich fans)

Just back today from our first ever experience of a Polish GP.

What can I say?!!!!!!

Gollob brilliant, Polish fans out of this world.

It was nice to meet a few forum members, with special thanks to Rico and Mateusz and the rest of the Bydgoszcz Net Fans for saving us an excellent seat on the back straight.

Thanks also to TheStartTart for the birthday cake in the Brda.

Tony, Lesley & Lynsey (the 2.5 Ipswich fans)

Glad you had a super time ! Seriously you looked in awe at the end of the meeting, the passion exuded by the fans has to be experienced 1st hand, I'm sure you'll be back for more.

And to think I was out drunk and outstayed on the Friday night in the Brda by a 7 year old ! tut tut Papa.

And to think I was out drunk and outstayed on the Friday night in the Brda by a 7 year old ! tut tut Papa.

It's a brave man that admits his own failings....Well done Papa B.

I'm just glad you didn't publish the photos from Chesterfields. That photo of me and the dodgy blue drinks can stay in your private collection!

It's a brave man that admits his own failings....Well done Papa B.

I'm just glad you didn't publish the photos from Chesterfields. That photo of me and the dodgy blue drinks can stay in your private collection!

What, you mean the drinks shown on the one at the end of the webshot collection ? Plenty more where that came from.

What, you mean the drinks shown on the one at the end of the webshot collection ? Plenty more where that came from.

lol....that'll be the ones.

Someone clearly got to the tray before your photo....only seems to be 18 there!

You can keep the rest of your photos to yourself, and I'll keep mine relatively private ;)

Papa

You might have been out drunk by a 7 year old but least you did better than your mate, who never made it out the following night :rolleyes:

TST

Papa

You might have been out drunk by a 7 year old but least you did better than your mate, who never made it out the following night :rolleyes:

Yeah, but at least Papa's "mate" came out for beers on Sunday which was more than you did.....Rico definitely won the drinking contest with you that day :P

Great pics Papa :) I hope you'll upload the rest soon :wink: If HenryW doesn't want you to do that, send me those pics as there's nothing to hide (maybe only from a public eye) - I've already seen those lovely pics with kamikaze drinks and must have them :D

Here are some of my & Bydgoszcz mates' pics. Nothing special but some are nice.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mateusz_bydgoszcz

Lawrence should upload his photos soon - he worked for BSI with air fences etc. and took lots of nice pics in the pits.

Edited by Mateusz

Yeah, but at least Papa's "mate" came out for beers on Sunday which was more than you did.....Rico definitely won the drinking contest with you that day  :P

We would have come out for drinks on Sunday but we had to drive back to Gdansk while still sober, as it was I lost my driving licence, through carelessness rather than alcohol.

Drinking contest? was Rico on Cola then?, I'm still three or four Kamikaze's ahead of him, not to mention the two extra neat vodkas when Rico decided to up the ante and failed miserably :P

The King is dead, long live the Queen!!!!!

To say Bydgoszcz 2005 wasnt an experience is a under estimation. In what 7 days in Poland I jhave had one of the best times of my life, often through misfortune rather than great fortune.

One of the gang of Four from Leicester cant fly, this meant going on public National Express coaches. 24 hour coach ride to Bydgoszcz.

Thursday morning 5.30am, we were taking a coach from Leicester to London Victoria. The bus is just about to enter a sliproad on to the M1 and the coach breaksdown, meaning cars are now dodging the bus and we have to wait for another. It finally came. Victoria was packed with people going Reading festival. Jump on bus which is sparsly attended, meeting a couple from Bydgoszcz who work in a bakery in Barnsley. Then all the drivers speak Polish, we're the only British people on board.

Get to Bydgoszcz on Friday around 10.30am. Get a taxi to our hotel with the help of Adrian the bloke from the coach. Get to the hotel, reservation does not exist on their computer yet we have confirmation e-mails to prove our booking. They give us keys for the rooms. I get showered and so does one of the other comrades. Then told we must move, its all the internet agency fault meaning we are moved to the Hotel Chemik. On the outskirts of Bydgoszcz, in front of a massive chemical plant which you are no longer aloud to go down. Finally get changed and go to out first bakery plus practice and pick up the tickets. Practice is a chance for all the Poles who cant afford to go to the meeting proper and see the riders.

Went for a drink at the bus shelter in each my Uncle had an argument with the woman server, I was laughing at the side. After practice we try to find the Old Town Square and cant. We end up finding Tesco's and buying more cakes plus cold pizza. We hop on a tram and go back to hotel, watching Liverpool playing CSKA Moscow and play cards.

Saturday bring new enthusiasm, we find the Old Town Square and surrounding area which is beautiful. Taking pictures and still not seeing any British speedway fans. Walking on this island where there was a big fair for the seniors and they were selling their arts such as paintings and lace. We had a drink there and went to meet someone we knew. Talking to them and they suggested that we get to the stadium by 3pm if you want a decent seat. We took this on board and agreed that at 4pm we want to be in the stadium. We were walking through Bydgoszcz's fruit market when we met Tony Steele, the night's referee found out he was one of my uncles old school comrades. We talked him and he suggested Gdansk to fill Monday's trip. We went to this Pizza place suggested to us. We order a vegtarian and 3 pepperonis but was trying to make sure the vegtarian pizza had no meat on. Out came 4 pizzas, a vegatarian one and 3 pepperonis with such peppers on, no meat. No pepperoni meat.

So thats up to pre-meeting Saturday. When I have time I'll post the rest.

Heres the web site, http://www.freewebs.co.uk/Bydgoszcz2005

Edited by Hazzman

We order a vegtarian and 3 pepperonis but was trying to make sure the vegtarian pizza had no meat on. Out came 4 pizzas, a vegatarian one and 3 pepperonis with such peppers on, no meat. No pepperoni meat.

You'll have ordered a papryka (pepper-on-it) pizza then. I'm sure I have made a similar error in the past. Still fine and tasty. Next time, try the salami one.

Enjoyed your tale so far - will try and put a similar account of our trip on here soon.

Rico :rolleyes:

Edited by Rico

Those poles are CRAZY!

The three amiggo,s and myself survived the Bydgoszcz weekend ,Just!

Nearly didn,t make the meeting due to a wrong train connection,but just made it thanks to schumacher driving our taxi back to the right station.

Only one injury,firework exploding on our terracing,leaving shin looking like it was hit by a baseball bat!

Great evening at Chesterfields on Saturday,getting to meet the legend that is Rico,and meeting The start tart and joining in on her birthday celebrations ,bit too drunk to remember others names!

Roll on next year,when i will fly straight to Bydgoszcz and get reserved seats!!!

Continuing from where my account left off.

We walked from Old Town to the Polonia Stadium, about a 15 minute walk. Buy some Coca-Cola for the stadium. Its still a good 3 hours before the meeting. We walk into the stadium to find it packed and where we want to sit gone. So after scouting to eventually find a place about half way up the terracing on the back straight. I know this may found strange but before the meeting we began to fall tired. Was it buslag, the chemical plant behind us, pizza or 15 minute walk. I needed a pee a good two hours before the meeting and decided against going as the crowd was moving to its places. The feeling for a Pee had gone by Heat 1 as bladder was in sheer disbelief at the racetrack.

However, we were soon to woken when the riders came out on their parade, a big firework failed to go off properly creating a smog of black smoke, we could feel the terracing moving as the firework went. The great thing about Polish fans is that you have your nutters dancing in a drunken haze, then we have extended families, whole villages and couples. Truly massive mix but I have never seen a crowd at any sporting event sing their national anthem so proudly. The meeting I thought was a great one, Gollob is about 2 centremetres from the airfence and they come so quick out of the corners. The thing about the turns on this race track is they are so big, each rider finally locks up in different places. Unlike many of our British tracks. I lefted a pen in the pizzeria meaning no filling out the programme. We thought there was no Brits in semis but appartently Richardson scraped through.

I say this through gritten teeth and eating humble pie, I have never rated Rico, he never seemed to have the bottle to do something in the Semi-Finals or Finals. However he proved me wrong just like he did at Swindon and Wroclaw at the World Cup. He likes the Polish tracks and this is proved by his employment by Zielona Gora. There was only going to be one winner, Mr.Bydgoszcz himself. I think if Rico had have won that final the Poles wouldnt have been shaking our hands and taking pictures with our flags. There is a chance we maybe on the TV, were on the start of the third bend, near the tracks staff exit/entrance and we are above the Polish flag with the words Debno. After the racing had finished and there was a few ugly scenes amongst the celebrations. We were one of the last to leave our seats we stood there in awe and also spotted a young 7 year old Ipswich still jumping up and down. We went back to the Old Town Square and drank a couple of Lech and Raspberry Syrup's on one of the stable boats. I rang my brother to tell of the winner and he shouted Gollob! down the phone it may me want to cry as he really wanted to come plus he couldnt get him a Scott Nicholls cap. We eventually went home in a taxi.

Sunday, Monday and the ride back home in a bit.