British Speedway Forum
WiganWarrior

Wigan Warriors/panthers

I just learned from another post that former Wigan rider Jack Winstanley recently attended a few reunions. I was just wondering if anyone has news of any other former Wigan riders from their single seasons in 1947, '52 and '60. Any info would be most welcome.

Guest speedyguy
I just learned from another post that former Wigan rider Jack Winstanley recently attended a few reunions. I was just wondering if anyone has news of any other former Wigan riders from their single seasons in 1947, '52 and '60.  Any info would be most welcome.

I know that Frank Malouf, the Australian rider, died in a nursing home some time back. I also remember the Londoner Dave Anderson. He once appeared in a Christmas pantomime to earn some cash to finance his speedway racing.

I know that Frank Malouf, the Australian rider, died in a nursing home some time back. I also remember the Londoner Dave Anderson. He once appeared in  a Christmas pantomime to earn some cash to finance his speedway racing.

Yes, I heard that Frank Malouf died only last year, I think. Thanks for the info.

Guest speedyguy
Yes, I heard that Frank Malouf died only last year, I think. Thanks for the info.

I understand that Wigan's first meeting was on Good Friday 1947 and that Jack Winstanley, in his first meeting ever, rode with the Australian and New Cross star Ron Johnson in a pairs event. Any details of this meeting please?

According to Stenner's 1948 Annual. Wigan's opening meeting on 4 April 1947 (Good Friday) was the Easter Cup and was won by Clarke. Ron presumably.

According to Stenner's 1948 Annual. Wigan's opening meeting on 4 April 1947 (Good Friday) was the Easter Cup and was won by Clarke. Ron presumably.

Wigan's opening meeting was an individual event for the Easter Cup on Good Friday 4th April 1947. It was won by Ron Clarke of Bradford with 12 points. Ernie Price, also of Bradford was 2nd with 11 points and Tommy Allott came 3rd with 10 points. Jack Winstanley, riding in his first speedway event, scored three points. Heat winners were Oliver Hart, Ron Clarke, Ernie Price, Don Haughton, Ron Clarke, Oliver Hart, Tommy Allott, Will Lowther, Ernie Price, Ron Clarke, Tommy Allott, Tommy Allott, Percy Brine, Don Haughton, Ron Clarke, Jack Gregson in that order.The crowd was 4,896.

No mention of Ron Johnson in my records of that meeting. But on 24th May Ron Johnson and Geoff Godwin (Middlesborough) came joint 2nd in a pairs event with Wilf Jay (Newcastle) and Cyril Brine (Wimbledon). The event was won by Mike Erskine (Wimbledon) and Alec Grant (Newcastle), and the crowd was 8,000.

Guest speedyguy
Wigan's opening meeting was an individual event for the Easter Cup on Good Friday 4th April 1947. It was won by Ron Clarke of Bradford with 12 points. Ernie Price, also of Bradford was 2nd with 11 points and Tommy Allott came 3rd with 10 points. Jack Winstanley, riding in his first speedway event, scored three points. Heat winners were Oliver Hart, Ron Clarke, Ernie Price, Don Haughton, Ron Clarke, Oliver Hart, Tommy Allott, Will Lowther, Ernie Price, Ron Clarke, Tommy Allott, Tommy Allott, Percy Brine, Don Haughton, Ron Clarke, Jack Gregson in that order.The crowd was 4,896.

No mention of Ron Johnson in my records of that meeting. But on 24th May Ron Johnson and Geoff Godwin (Middlesborough) came joint 2nd in a pairs event with Wilf Jay (Newcastle) and Cyril Brine (Wimbledon). The event was won by Mike Erskine (Wimbledon) and Alec Grant (Newcastle), and the crowd was 8,000.

Many thanks for this. I am reseraching on Jack Winstanley. At the second meeting, did he ride and in anyway have a connection to Ron Johnson at that meeting? Thanks a lot.

Many thanks for this. I am reseraching on Jack Winstanley. At the second meeting, did he ride and in  anyway have a connection to Ron Johnson at that meeting? Thanks a lot.

The 2nd meeting at Wigan in 1947 was on Saturday 12th April. Norwich beat Wigan 40-39 in a Northern League match. The only reference to Jack Winstanley in the Wigan Observer report was that he fell in the final heat. Norwich objected that he had been assisted to remount but later withdrew the objection. No mention of Ron Johnson but the local paper report doesn't list all scorers for this match and I don't have the relevent speedway magazines.

Guest speedyguy
The 2nd meeting at Wigan in 1947 was on Saturday 12th April. Norwich beat Wigan 40-39 in a Northern League match. The only reference to Jack Winstanley in the Wigan Observer report was that he fell in the final heat. Norwich objected that he had been assisted to remount but later withdrew the objection. No mention of Ron Johnson but the local paper report doesn't list all scorers for this match and I don't have the relevent speedway magazines.

Did Jack Winstanley have any involovement with Ron Johnson or ride in the best pairs meeting staged in May? Thanks a lot for the info.

Did Jack Winstanley have any involovement with Ron Johnson or ride in the best pairs meeting staged in May? Thanks a lot for the info.

There is no reference to Jack Winstanley riding in the Best Pairs event in May in the Wigan Observer report. I asked my father and he doesn't know any connection between Winstanley and Ron Johnson. Sorry I can't be more help. I'm collecting speedway magazines from 1947 and if I find anything I'll post it here.

Did Alf Elliott ever ride for Wigan??

All these questions about Wigan 1947 can be answered by a quick look at Speedway Researcher I think. You will find all the answers there

It would be interesting to me to know what happened to Don Houghton as he rode for Norwich 1946 and Wigan 1947 then he vanished from my records. I would welcome any news of this ex pre-war Sheffirld rider

Edited by star ghost
  • Like 1

All these questions about Wigan 1947 can be answered by a quick look at Speedway Researcher I think. You will find all the answers there

It would be interesting to me to know what happened to Don Houghton as he rode for Norwich 1946 and Wigan 1947 then he vanished from my records. I would welcome any news of this ex pre-war Sheffirld rider

You have mentioned my Grandfather in the Riders line-up Don Houghton. I have lots of background information which I have researched if you or anyone one would like to know more. I am happy to share. Please contact me for more info :) - Allison HOUGHTON - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA

Did Alf Elliott ever ride for Wigan??

You have mentioned my Grandfather in the Riders line-up Don Houghton. I have lots of background information which I have researched if you or anyone one would like to know more. I am happy to share. Please contact me for more info :) - Allison HOUGHTON - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA

Allison Houghton - is that a Facebook message address given in your Post?

On 5/1/2016 at 12:17 AM, gustix said:

Allison Houghton - is that a Facebook message address given in your Post?

Hi Gustix, I'm not sure what you mean about an address ? My Grandfather DON HOUGHTON use to race from 1936 - 1947, if you have any information or if you would like to know anything that I could possibly help with, please ask away :)