British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

Gp Prices

Why are we paying £27(?)? Yesterday I went to the Wales Rally GB stage in the same stadium and it cost £20 for me and my dad to get in and we got a programme. We coudl have also take in 4 kids nder the age of 16 too for no extra cost. The bottom tier was unused, the middle tier was full and the top tier was probably as full as for the speedway. So there were not as many people there.

So less people paying less and it was still profitable? Then on top of that, today, people could go in for the presentation/to see the car in parc ferme FREE OF CHARGE!

We are clearly being ripped off if they can charge £10 for a World rally stage!

Why are we paying £27(?)?  Yesterday I went to the Wales Rally GB stage in the same stadium and it cost £20 for me and my dad to get in and we got a programme.  We coudl have also take in 4 kids nder the age of 16 too for no extra cost.  The bottom tier was unused, the middle tier was full and the top tier was probably as full as for the speedway.  So there were not as many people there.

So less people paying less and it was still profitable?  Then on top of that, today, people could go in for the presentation/to see the car in parc ferme FREE OF CHARGE!

We are clearly being ripped off if they can charge £10 for a World rally stage!

Whilst I'm not trying to justify the £27:00 figure, don't forget that when comparing the the price of tickets for Speedway at the Stadiumn, BSI have to rent the stadium for around a week, plus pay the costs of staff and materials for laying the track, and clearing it all away afterwards.

ATB

Dave

It might have something to do with the fact that the WRC soaks up £65m in annual sponsorship :o

Plus, as it was the first event of it's kind, they were desperate to get a half-decent crowd in...which they didn't really manage btw...so they HAD to keep the prices down.

:)

yeh but it looked cool,wish id been there,i will next year if its there again,shame some one got killed today.m m co driver.RIP.

Edited by beercellar

And another co-driver here in Finland as well. Not a good weekend for rallying.

In this years finnish rally the ticket for the main service area was 5 euros for the weekend, rallypass for every stage 45 and SS killeri cost 15 with other stages 12. It's a ripoff. It's been getting more expensive every year, and even when I lived there in Jyväskylä, I couldnt be bothered. Next year even less.

Well the price here in the UK have been £10(14E) for the SS stage in the Millenium Stadium (you could pay more, no idea what you gained tho) and then £15(22E) or £20(30E) for the rest. The service park was about £5(7E) from memory. I don't think the price is too bad TBH, not compared to other sports.

With each ticket, you get a programme, which is ok until you go to a few stages :D

Edited by SCB

For any commodity you basically charge what people are prepared to pay (ok I'm keeping it simple). Take out your costs (which you control and keep as low as possible) the rest is yours to keep less tax.

Would they get any more through the gate if they charged less...probably not. I think (I'm comparing with football) I get good value for money for the entertainment laid on at the British GP.

To watch the Villa verses Tottenham the weekend it was £48 for an adult! How much is it to watch the football equivalent of the speedway GP series....astronomical I presume....but people are prepared to pay it.

People are prepared to pay a fortune to drive a BMW.....it cost no more to build a BM than it does to build VW Golf...

Edited by Deano

People are prepared to pay a fortune to drive a BMW.....it cost no more to build a BM than it does to build VW Golf...

Well as some who drives a BMW and drove a VW clone until recently, there's a big difference. Infact, you drive a Seat Ibiza/Cordoba and then drive a VW Polo (probably shares 95% of the parts), tell me it's the same! There's a difference in quality.

The same applies to speedway and the Rallying. There was a definate change in qualifty between the two and it was the rallying that was of greater quality. For a start it lasted from 5.30 to gone 9 with almost non-stop entertainment (tho I did find the flying car bloody boring!), including a stunt guy trying to drive the ciruit on two wheels and rolling the car onto it's side :D

What do we get at Cardiff? Some old past it band/singer miming (just stick the bloody CD on if you have to), the Samba ants and erm, yeah!

I do think the speedway is good value compared to football (but they fill up thier stadiums so can justify charging that much, seems Chelsea cannot justify there peices this season) but compared to the rallying, it is scandelous! Compared to PL/EL prices it's also a bit expensive. TBH, EL/PL prices are too high compared to the rallying prices!

Edited by SCB

To watch the Villa verses Tottenham the weekend it was £48 for an adult! How much is it to watch the football equivalent of the speedway GP series....astronomical I presume....but people are prepared to pay it.

My little brother is living in Prague at the moment, he said that a ticket to see Champions league (Sparta Praha?) was 160 euro's. I just could not believe it. We saw German Bundesliga last year for 14 euros a piece in the Berlin Olympic Stadion. Also last year people were turning around to get back home from a German Bundesliga meeting (speedway), when they were asked to pay 13 euros instead of the usual 12. Alltough the Euro semi @ Seinäjoki was 15 euros, it had the biggest crowd of the season over here. Which was kind of surprising I might add...

Ah! But......Can you see ALL of the action ALL of the time at a Rally?

ATB

Dave

Erm, YES! It was in the Millenium Stadium! You also got pre-stage ralling, precision driving by 3 Ford Focus' a flying car and a guy on a bike. All in all, you got action from 5.30 to well past 9 for £10 and you saw it ALL.

No gaps, no bits with nothing to do (go to toilet and you missed something!) and twiddling thumbs.

Add to that the magazine style programme and it was easily much better value than any speedway.

£10 and you get one adult and two kids tickets as well as a programme along with all the events mentioned above. Can speedway compete with that? I make it about £53 for the adult and 2 kids and a programme, the speedway it's self (which is not as much action time wise) and some old git mimming to one of thier old CD's.

Edited by SCB

Sorry SCB, I thought you were talking about watching competitive racing.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is pre-stage Rallying?

(No, I'm not extracting the urine...I really don't know what pre-stage rallying is!)

ATB

Dave

My little brother is living in Prague at the moment, he said that a ticket to see Champions league (Sparta Praha?) was 160 euro's. I just could not believe it. We saw German Bundesliga last year for 14 euros a piece in the Berlin Olympic Stadion. Also last year people were turning around to get back home from a German Bundesliga meeting (speedway), when they were asked to pay 13 euros instead of the usual 12. Alltough the Euro semi @ Seinäjoki was 15 euros, it had the biggest crowd of the season over here. Which was kind of surprising I might add...

Crikey. I went to Sparta in 2002 and it cost 100Kc (Around £2) to watch an international football match