British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mark cox

Old World Finals

I have always enjoyed the John Chaplin interviews in the Speedway Star, when he interviewed old riders about their careers. They are always so honest about what went on in the pits/clashes of personalities etc, which is what you don't get in usual reports.

So why not do a behind the scenes feature on old World Finals, finding out what really went on. The 1972 one at Wembley would be a good start, with my first Cradley hero, the Black Country Swede Bernie Persson.

Maybe you could also interview Barry Briggs and get his opinion on Bernie Persson's in the 1972 World Final.

Maybe you could also interview Barry Briggs and get his opinion on Bernie Persson's in the 1972 World Final.

I'm sure Briggo was most dissapointed that Ivan Mauger beat Bernie in the runoff, Bernie was gaining on him though so another clinical inside move to force Ivan off the line would of done the trick :lol:

Ah, but Bernie shouldn't have even been in the run-off because he should have been excluded from his second heat! It was, though, a very good performance by said Heathen, if a little, shall we say, 'Pedersen-esque'.

On the subject of the 1972 World Final - how daft was Ole Olsen to throw it all away like that in his first ride? I have this meeting on DVD. It's regularly available on ebay.

On the subject of the 1972 World Final - how daft was Ole Olsen to throw it all away like that in his first ride? I have this meeting on DVD. It's regularly available on ebay.

Yes, in retrospect it was. He definitely looked the best rider on the night. I read in some book or other (can't remember where) that gave an interesting insight into what was going on inside his head.

Having won the title the previous year, Danish TV decided to cover the final for the first time ever. Ole was so keyed up and wanted to make such an impression that he just let his enthusiasm get the better of him. Hard to think of him as an exitable young buck though isn't it?! :blink:

Great race, though - young Ole's opening ride. I was on the edge of my seat for that one.