British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Trevor Hedge

Just been sent some Dons programmes and in one the the Mayor of Merton is reminiscing and saying Trevor was one of her favourite riders.We all have different favourites and i must confess Trevor wasn't one of mine.Always remember there was an old lady on the second bend who always waved and cheered for him.

Just wondering how he was viewed by others at the time.Was he at one stage seen as the new young star,the new white hope.After all he came along at a bit of a low point in terms of talent.Anyone with memories of him?

Guest cheetahhawk
Just been sent some Dons programmes and in one the the Mayor of Merton is reminiscing and saying Trevor was one of her favourite riders.We all have different favourites and i must confess Trevor wasn't one of mine.Always remember there was an old lady on the second bend who always waved and cheered for him.

Just wondering how he was viewed by others at the time.Was he at one stage seen as the new young star,the new white hope.After all he came along at a bit of a low point in terms of talent.Anyone with memories of him?

Iris123, that elderly lady who stood on the 2nd bend at Wimbledon was called Rose and she always used to talk to my Aunt and Uncle and me every week. She also used to give Trevor an apple or orange every Thursday .She used to look after the ladies toilets in that part of the stadium. When she sadly passed away her son asked us to pass on the news to Trevor and his wife Pam,because by that time Trevor was riding for Hackney, must have been about 1976 I think. When I told Trevor and Pam they asked me to pass on their condolences to her son and I think they may have gone to her funeral.I know that they sent flowers for her funeral so her son told me.

My youngest son's middle name is Trevor after the Hedgehopper. I always thought that Trevor lived in the shadow of other people at Plough Lane but also thought he was a good steady rider and is a really nice guy too. I saw him a few weeks ago at the Hackney reunion and he doesn't look a lot different to how he looked in his racing days.

Iris123, that elderly lady who stood on the 2nd bend at Wimbledon was called Rose and she always used to talk to my Aunt and Uncle and me every week. She also used to give Trevor an apple or orange every Thursday .She used to look after the ladies toilets in that part of the stadium. When she sadly passed away her son asked us to pass on the news to Trevor and his wife Pam,because by that time Trevor was riding for Hackney, must have been about 1976 I think. When I told Trevor and Pam they asked me to pass on their condolences to her son and I think they may have gone to her funeral.I know that they sent flowers for her funeral so her son told me.

My youngest son's middle name is Trevor after the Hedgehopper. I always thought that Trevor lived in the shadow of other people at Plough Lane but also thought he was a good steady rider and is a really nice guy too. I saw him a few weeks ago at the Hackney reunion and he doesn't look a lot different to  how he looked in his racing days.

Riders like Trevor Hedge are the lifeblood of our sport. Regrettably we live in a sporting era where, increasingly, a few men get the glory and the remainder are, largely, overlooked. I would raher have a team with seven solidly reliable riders than one studded with champions and internationals.

I feel there is sometimes a tendency for the latter to seek personal achievement rather than collective. Not ideal in a, basically, team based sport.

Edited by BertHoven

Agree with you Bert.Trevor was part of the backbone of the Dons side for a number of years.Just for me as a youngster at the time there were riders i didn't take to i guess.Ronnie Moore was just superb no matter how old he was.Great rider and very friendly.While Tommy Jansson was the new kid on the block.When i look back now it seemed to me that some of the guys were ancient.McKinlay and Goody spring to mind and they were younger than i am now :( Guess i took to the younger riders more,even those that were not superstars in the making.Rob Jones for example was a favourite for a while

Thanks for that Linda.She was one of the characters at Plough Lane i always remember, even though i never knew who she was.

Speaking to Trevor at the recent Hackney reunion, he told me of his affection for Wimbledon. He was a little upset [still may I add] that as such a loyal servant to the Don’s, he never had a testimonial. Trevor would make the journey from his Norwich home to Plough Lane every week. Remember there was no M11 or M25 in those days. He had ten seasons with the Don’s and he did serve them well, no doubt about that, and why no testimonial? Trevor’s answer was he was never offered one! How times change.

Will anyone (apart from me) be going to the Norwich VSRA Dinner next Sunday? If they do they will be able to meet Trevor there as he and Pam organise it.

As has been said Trevor is like alot of riders the back bone of our sport and they can't all be Maugers but they are just as important in my book. :)

I saw Trevor at the VSRA Norwich dinner yesterday and told him about this thread. He seemed quite chuffed that people remembered him enough to still be talking about him! He sends his best wishes to all his fans out there.

I remember reading about in the 1970 World Final ( I think at Wroclaw). In the race was Ivan Mauger and two poles. Hedge got injured at some point in the meeting (may have the first running of that race). He wasn't going to ride in the rerun. He would then have been replaced by a reserve, another Pole, so Ivan would have been up against three Poles. So Hedge went to the tapes and tootled round at the back, thus helping Ivan towards his title.