British Speedway Forum
briggo

Unsuccessful American's

sorry about that ... i'll change my views about drugs within the sport just so it satisfies anyone that wants to make it an open discussion about the problem as a whole.

i take back all i've said about the problems ... it was society that brought the culture to the sport in the 80's not any particular group :rolleyes:

Don't think you can blame the drugs issue on the American riders, but speedway has to be seen to be on the level. Time for random drug tests? Maybe they already take place at GP level, but should we have it during league matches?

I remember Eddie Ingles at Newcastle in their ill fated season at the top level.

Never before or since have I seen a rider make up so much ground in a race. He

could be quite astonishing. A character too, not every rider gets married on the

centre green.

He then had a poor season at Belle Vue.

They must have surely taken place in the past, because a few riders (most notably Gary Havelock) were caught and banned?

There was a spate of them during the late 80's and early 90's.

A number of riders fell foul of tests around that time, Havelock actually missed a whole season (89?) as a result.

He then had a poor season at Belle Vue.

Ingels might actually have made it to the top if he'd been allowed to join Wolverhampton during the winter of 1984-85. But, from memory, he wasn't allowed a work permit after failing to hit a 6 point average in 1984. Eventually, he was allowed a work permit (after the cigar-chomping Bamforth banged his fists) and joined Belle Vue. Wolverhampton's track would've been better suited to Ingels than Belle Vue's monster Hyde Road circuit.

I remember a two riders from a few riders that we unsuccessful yanks.. step forward Brain Yarrow and Eric Corrilo :D

I remember a two riders from a few riders that we unsuccessful yanks.. step forward Brain Yarrow and Eric Corrilo :D

You been on the lash Matty?? :P

Edited by frigbo

You been on the lash Matty?? :P

Top notch Swindon Cider ofcourse Frigbo :D

Ofcourse what i was meant to say was...

I remember two riders from a few years ago that were unsuccessful yanks.. step forward Brain Yarrow and Eric Corrilo

Anyway, got to go and get ready for a night out on the town :P

I think Ivan Blacka was born in Southampton but did have links to the USA(parents possibly?).That Test match in 1981 will always be remebered for Blacka tapping Steve Lawson on the arm while they were racing to let him know who was with him!!!

Guest speedyguy
I think Ivan Blacka was born in Southampton but did have links to the USA(parents possibly?).That Test match in 1981 will always be remebered for Blacka tapping Steve Lawson on the arm while they were racing to let him know who was with him!!!

Years ago, in the early 1980s, I was in contact with Ivan's brother Robert, who lived in Philadelphia. I was always under the impresion that the family were Brits originally who went to live in USA. Robert was for some time involved with East Coast USA speedway.

2 more yanks who came over to these shores and did nothing Donny Odom and Doug Nicol better known as Captain Zero and Uncle Doug both rode for Boro in 92 I think.

was there an american called danny pyeat or denny pyeat killed at Reading or riding for Reading some time back