British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tommy

Polish League: No Limits On Foreign Riders!

Few days after the debate over foreign riders reached its climax, PZM lifted the limit on foreign riders (that includes non-EU also!) in all 3 divisions. Now this doesn't mean will see a flood of riders from GB, S and DK signing in Poland. The promoters will most likely create an informal agreement to limit line-up to two foreign riders. My concern is that an informal agreement won't last too long and some of these greedy promoters will be tempted to break the rules. I'm all for opening up the market, but it should be done gradually.

Share your concerns tommy,but at least it will mean some of the German riders won't have to get married to Polish girlfriends so quickly B)

I'm all for opening up the market, but it should be done gradually.

Yeah or it should have been established before the end of the 2005 season when no one had started building teams for 2006 yet. Now, when some teams like Bydgoszcz or Tarnow have already almost built up their line-ups it's a bit unserious...

Just because a "free-for-all" has been established, doesn't mean it has to happen. Hopefully, some clubs, maybe Bydgoszcz and Tarnow, will see the sense in continuing to rely on their own development of talent.

Freedom of choice must be accompanied by responsibility, something our promoters have rarely twigged. Will Polish clubs show discipline and restraint? If not, they may need to be regulated once again - as indeed do our promoters for the same reason.

As I've said all along, it all depended on the clubs remaining disciplined. But now a couple of clubs have broken ranks, presumably in search of quick and easy success. If they go too far, Polish speedway could suffer in the future. British short-termism comes to Poland.

Will Polish clubs show discipline and restraint?

Key words. I'm skeptical. :neutral:

Edited by tommy

As I've said all along, it all depended on the clubs remaining disciplined. But now a couple of clubs have broken ranks, presumably in search of quick and easy success. If they go too far, Polish speedway could suffer in the future. British short-termism comes to Poland.

Perish the thought. We're all doomed! :sad:

Maybe we'll come back to hated in the past KSM (CMA for teams)? As I remember it was about 45 for a team when they lift it (in 2003?). Of course not from the next year but in 2007..? I don't believe in promoters' moderation. If they have big money they'll make dream teams. Having a totally open market where you can sign any one you want the KSM could be an only restriction to prevent us from watching matches where "a dream team" smashes "a less rich team" 70:20...

Edited by Mateusz

Just looking at the team building on sportowefakty.pl for the Ekstra Liga, Bydgoszcz have 4 juniors for next season, Gdansk 4 juniors for next season and Rzeszow 5 juniors for next season. You have to fear for the future of the juniors if teams are going to be allowed to sign foreign riders at will.

More changes...2006 season will be the first for a professional speedway league (called ZLZ)as all the teams will transform into joint-stock companies and by 2007 the league will expand to 10 teams. Should have more details tomorrow.

Just looking at the team building on sportowefakty.pl for the Ekstra Liga, Bydgoszcz have 4 juniors for next season, Gdansk 4 juniors for next season and Rzeszow 5 juniors for next season. You have to fear for the future of the juniors if teams are going to be allowed to sign foreign riders at will.

With the honourable exception of Oxford, have any other EL club got that many juniors? :unsure:

I believe that, a few years down the line, Polish speedway will regret this decision.

In my understanding , once Poland joined the EU, the opening of the Polish clubs to the foreign 'invasion' was bound to happened.

Polish speedway may come to regret it, but the decision had been taken elsewhere. And not today, but sometime in the past.

We've debated this at length in relation to the UK. They can't legally prevent it, but nobody can compel those promoters to employ foreign riders if they don't want to.