British Speedway Forum
PolskiZuzel

Jancarz's Monument

Wimbledon's fans of the 70's will no doubt remember Eddie Jancarz, one of the best ever speedway riders from Poland gracing British tracks. 'Steady Eddie" , at the club level, apart from Wimbledon, rode only for one club in his home country, Gorzow. The town he was born in and where he learned to ride speedway. In those days when one spoke about Gorzow it meant speedway, and if it was speedway then it meant Jancarz and his Stal Gorzow Club.

Last Sunday the people of Gorzow, headed by Zenon Plech, the other half of the Gorzow speedway pair that made the name of their town famous worldwide, unveiled Jancarz's monument This unique tribute ( is there anywhere in the world another monument devoted to a speedway rider) was conceived by his former friends and colleagues and the funding came from the public collection .

pictures at:

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/index.phpdysc_...1&news_id=93210

A fitting tribute to Edward. I saw him race many times around Plough Lane and other tracks up and down the country.

Certainly one of the Polish legends and what a wonderful way to remember him.

Excellent lifesize statue and nice tribute. Looks bl**dy cold there!!!

The Stal Gorzow team led by Ed Jancarz came to the UK in '76 and '77, I remember them racing against Hackney. Other riders I remember were Cieslak (who went on to ride for White City), Rembas & Wozniek.

There's also a picture at:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/intspeedway/poland.htm

(scroll down to the bottom)

Can you please help to put me in touch with the person who took or provided this pic - to see if there are any others available, or if there is a high-resolution version of this one that we could use in the next issue of Backtrack?

It's about time we ran a good, lengthy piece in memory of Steady Eddie.

Many thanks for any help.

Can you please help to put me in touch with the person who took or provided this pic - to see if there are any others available, or if there is a high-resolution version of this one that we could use in the next issue of Backtrack?

It's about time we ran a good, lengthy piece in memory of Steady Eddie.

Many thanks for any help.

Hi Tony,

Sure, I can put you in touch with the person(s) who took pictures at the unveiling ceremony. Just drop me a line at chrom@btinternet.com

regards

RomanC

Ps. For anyone interested in more pictures from the ceremony go to:

http://www.stalgorzow.pl/galeria/albumy/2o...carza/index.php

Edited by PolskiZuzel