British Speedway Forum
norbold

Eastbourne Southern Area League Days

I expect this is a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have the Eastbourne riders' averages from their Southern Area League and Metropolitan League days in the 50s and 60s? The only year I have is 1956, so I am missing 1954, 55, 57, 59 and 64.

Thank you!

Well I was there but don't have the info.

You might try Sid Shine the stats man at www.elite-eagles.com

If he has the info on file I am sure that he will help you.

Thanks sb

You mean you can't remember the result of every race you ever saw???

Yes, thanks, I have Peter Morrish's book, but it just gives the scores. It doesn't even say how many matches they rode in it so you could work it out yourself!

I've also got all the 1964 Speedway Stars. I guess it's a trip up to the loft for that one then! :)

Thanks sb

You mean you can't remember the result of every race you ever saw???

Can't remember what I did yesterday ! :blink::D

The last Stenner's Annual was in 1954.

Twas indeed, but there was a simular book right upto the 60's

Cant believe Sussex Bulldog was there then, blimey he must have known me for a few years now! :rolleyes:

Twas indeed, but there was a simular book right upto the 60's

If you mean the Astorias' Annuals and the Five Star Annuals, yes there were, but only the 1957 Five Star Annual has Southern Area League averages, which is why I have the 1956 averages but still need the rest.

Edited by norbold

Blimey Ken are you that old?  :P  :lol:

Fraid so missed out on retirement from this place by just a couple of months (early retirement that is!)

Sorry Norbold on searching the garage my continuous SS collection commences April 9th 1960, too late for the previous season reviews, and the odd '59 copies are of no use. Did you want the 1964 stats because I have all the Stars for that year?

Fatal getting old mags. out however because you then spend hours looking at them. The April 9th copy had an article on a youthful Tommy Sweetman at home with his wife and son Chris , who was then 5 years of age. Tommy was aiming to make the most of his season with New Cross. Graham Warren was trying to re-establish himself with Coventry and Norwich and Ipswich both opened with crowds of 11,000. It was the first year of the new Provincial League and there was quite a bit of movement of riders from the National League. A full page advert for Johnnie Hoskins presenting Speedway 'The New Way' at New Cross on Wednesday April 13th 1960 New Cross v Norwich. NC: Split Waterman, Arne Carlsson, Eric Williams, Leo McAuliffe, Jimmy Gooch, Norwich: Ove Fundin, Aub Lawson, Billy Bales, Reg Trott, Dennis Newton. Admission 3/- and 5/- (and worth double!)

Fascinating stuff.