British Speedway Forum
madbiker

65 - 13

Especially considering what great riders Poland had in that line-up

Hopefully a fellow Monarch can clarify this somewhat hazy info that is coming from my memory banks.

I am sure Monarchs beat Boston 63-14 in a league match circa 1978, with the only dropped points by a Monarch being someone falling off in one race. Any further info would be appreciated. I remember being very upset at the time of the fall as I thought I was about to witness a historical moment.

It was 63-14 and it was 1978 Edinburgh v Boston - can't help with the fallen rider though.

I saw Long Eaton beat Middlesborough 65 - 0. Great meeting watching two riders go round in each race. :mad:

Closest I came to seeing 65-13 was when the Tigers destroyed Kings Lynn 63-15 in 1985,two second places from Dave Jessup stopped the full house!

I was at Knowle on 7/10/49 when Bristol beat White City 70 to14 and also was there the following week when the first 13 heats against Norwich were maximums by Bristol. 27 successive maximums or 28 if you include the last heat of the previous weeks meeting against New Cross. Beat that !

Crayford actually beat Workington 65-12 back in 1980 but I wasn't at the meeting.

Bryn posted at the same time.

Claim to fame regarding this match. In heat 2 when the Workington riders failed to score (I Think) my uncle, Alan Armstrong, was one of the riders who failed to finish the race....sorry Workington fans but he still chuckles about it to this day.

I saw Cradley beat Halifax 64-14 in 1980 I think. Pretty certain the Cradley rider who missed out was none other than Erik Gundersen in about Heat 9 or 10. Extremely dull meeting from the racing point of view, only interest being whether the max could be achieved.

I was there too it was October 1979 Tormod Langli was the only Halifax rider to beat a Cradley rider (Erik Gundersen) who was at reserve then.

I remember us leading Poole 35-7 after 7 heats in 1983. I think Poole managed to score 20 points though in the end.

I am sure Monarchs beat Boston 63-14 in a league match circa 1978, with the only dropped points by a Monarch being someone falling off in one race.

Friday 7th April 1978. The score was as you say but Bert Harkins was the one who blew the perfect score. He was excluded for bringing down Keith Bloxsome in heat 12.

I notice that a lot of people are talking about seeing meetings which finished 65-12, 64-14, 65-0, 75-15 etc. Has there ever been a speedway match which finished with the exact score of 65-13?

Graham.

I'm a little surprised that Nevsy hasn't extolled the virtues of Exeter's 75-15 demolition of Arena Essex in 2000 at this point!  :D

I was at Knowle on 7/10/49 when Bristol beat White City 70 to14 and also was there the following week when the first 13 heats against Norwich were maximums by Bristol. 27 successive maximums or 28 if you include the last heat of the previous  weeks meeting against New Cross. Beat that !

Well.....

Exeter beat Glasgow 75-15 as Bryn has pointed out, the following week they went into heat 15 against Glasgow with the scores set at 70-14 (so 29 consecutive heats). Exeter put both reserves (Bobby Eldridge and Chris Harris) out against Scott Swain and AN Other. Sadly for Exeter, Scott Swain (not even a glasgow rider, he was a guest!) beat Chris Harris. The following week, they scored 72 against Newport with only Andrew Appleton and Chris Neath scoring any points.

So Exeter have gone 29 heats unbeaten, plus any unbeaten heats in the meeting the week before!

No, but I did see Belle Vue beat Eastbourne (I think) 64-14 in the 80s, with Kenny McKinna losing out to Colin Richardson for the odd point.

My dad always reckoned Bristol were the first team to do the complete monopoly sometime in the 50s.  In those days it was 14 heat fixtures, I think, so the result may have been 70-14.

If you see Kenny Mckinna remind him about it and he will tell you were to go like he did me at one Coventry GP

Ok thats the home wins, but what about the aways wins, I remember Crewe winning at Scunthorpe 19-59 think it was a cup match in 1972?

Yes that is right and just for good measure we also lost the away leg by the same score. :(

Then in the next season 1973 we did it again this time in the league to Peterborough :(

Clearing out my office (or rather attempting to clear it out!) I've come across the details of Crayford's maximum win over Workington and they are as follows

Crayford 65 Workington 12

Tuesday 15th July 1980

(second half of a double header with Berwick)

Workington operated rider-replacement for Ian Hindle and we lent them TONY BROOKS as their No.8. Tony got one ride - in heat 13(!!) and was leading from the tapes I recall! I also recollect that, from mid-match onwards, the tension in the Crayford side of the pits became almost unbearable with ALL the riders petrified that THEY would be the one to drop a point!!

Cheers

Bryn

CRAYFORD

Paul Woods 3 3 3 3 12

Alan Sage 2' 2' 3 2' 9 (3)

Steve Naylor 3 3 3 3 12

Laurie Etheridge 2' 2' 2' 2' 8 (4)

Les Rumsey 3 3 3 2' 11 (1)

Alan Johns 2' 2' 2' 6 (3)

Mick Pither 3 2' 2' 7 (2)

WORKINGTON:

Ian Hindle rider replacement

Des Wilson 0 1 1 1 3

Ian Robertson 1 1 1 1 0 4

Kevin Clapham 1 0 0 0 0 1

Wayne Jackson 0 1 1 1 3

Greg Irvine X 0 F 0

Alan Armstrong X 0 0 0 0

Tony Brooks * 1 1

HEATS:

1. Woods, Sage, Robertson, Wilson. 58.4 (5-1)

2. (re-run twice) Pither, Johns. Armstrong (fell-ex), Irvine (fell-ex re-run). 59.2 (10-1)

3. Rumsey, Etheridge, Clapham, Jackson. 58.6 (15-2)

4. Naylor, Johns, Robertson, Armstrong. 58.4 (20-3)

5. Rumsey, Etheridge, Wilson, Clapham. 59.2 (25-4)

6. Woods, Sage, Robertson, Irvine. 59.4 (30-5)

7. Naylor, Johns, Jackson, Clapham. 58.8 (35-6)

8. Sage, Pither, Wilson, Armstrong. 59.8 (40-7)

9. Rumsey, Etheridge, Robertson, Irving (fell). 59.6 (45-8)

10. Woods, Sage, Jackson, Clapham. 59.0 (50-9)

11. Naylor, Pither, Wilson, Armstrong. 59.2 (55-10)

12. Woods, Etheridge, Jackson, Robertson. 60.2 (60-11)

13. Naylor, Rumsey, Brooks, Clapham. 60.2 (65-12)

* loaned to the Comets for the night by Crayford!

Edited by Bryn

Claim to fame regarding this match. In heat 2 when the Workington riders failed to score (I Think) my uncle, Alan Armstrong, was one of the riders who failed to finish the race....sorry Workington fans but he still chuckles about it to this day.

Alan Armstrong    X    0    0    0            0

2. (re-run twice) Pither, Johns. Armstrong (fell-ex), Irvine (fell-ex re-run). 59.2 (10-1)

I was right then....Heat 2 Fell and Excluded. I try not to remind him too much of it though. :D