British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stansolo

Joe Thurley

Ex Brummies promoter Joe Thurley will be guest on the Radio WM - Tony Butler sports talk-in on Monday April 3, 7pm till 10 pm. The show is available via the net, Joe follows previous show guests Arthur Browning & George Major ;)

Thats great news for the 'fight' to restore one of speedway famous names the Birmingham Brummies back at one of is spiritual homes Perry Bar stadium!

Joe Thurley reopened and ran the Brummies at the old Ladbrokes greyhound arena across the road from the present venue from 1971 till the late 70's when I think he sold the promotion to Dan MCcormick I believe.

Speedway crowds at Perry Bar Birmingham in this period were huge some of the best in the Country. The popular with locals Brummies team eventually went 1st division in 1976 after winning divsion 2 two years running. The locals were in overwhelming support of the speedway with no noise issues being raised. All this in a time when speedway bikes were much noisier than present day versions with their 'snazzy' silencers!

I trust Mr Thurley will bring up these points when stating how good it would be for speedway to return to Birmingham.

THIS SHOULD BE IN THE GENERAL DISCUSSIONS SECTION AS IT WILL BE VIEWED MORE AND IT IS A PRESNT DAY ISSUE!

Joe will be on between 8 -9pm :D

Ex Brummies promoter Joe Thurley will be guest on the Radio WM - Tony Butler sports talk-in on Monday April 3, 7pm till 10 pm.  The show is available via the net, Joe follows previous show guests Arthur Browning & George Major  ;)

Could you post a link, please, for those of us out of earshot of the transmitter.

Thanks.

OOPS, sorry Mr Berthoven, I'm a bit late now. I have taped the programme and will transfer it to my PC in due course so some parts may well end up on the Brummies site, I'll keep you posted.

Joe indicated towards the end of the show that IF the Brummies do return he would like to be involved in some capacity :D