British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

An Open Letter To The Riders At The Elrc

All I can say this morning is that with Polish meetings today, and the forecast for that part of Europe being light showers, I'd be very interested to hear from some of our Polish friends what conditions the riders race in today over there and how keen the riders are to continue should anything drop from the sky. Somehow I don't think they'd dare try a repeat of yesterday at their respective clubs!

And yes it is me Shazz!! Long time since I've been on here - but I'm back !!! :mad:

Ut oh!!! Look out one and all - Rainbow, Shazzy & Tabby - the fearsome threesome!

:D:wink:

Guest thetiger2799

aaaaaaah the "big boys" letting the sport down again eh. You should get into the Premier League, mind you dont know if I could be bothered having to explain to the Elite League fans what an overtake is, every two minutes ;)

TBH, I'm not 100% convinced about that.

The riders that did voice complaints on camera were saying that the track was just ridiculously greasy in some areas. That's surely a classic case of a little rain on an over slick surface, with nothing to soak the water up. Presumably that's was in the areas where the traditional blue groove appears around that particular track.

Maybe if there was more dirt on the track there wouldn't have been so much of a problem.  :unsure:

I have to say that I agree with you 100% on that one HenryW. If the levels of rain had been as described, and if there had been no watering past 15:30, the ONLY explanation was that once again we were going to be presented with an Ole Olsen track. The equipment on display whilst they were trying to repair the damage to the track, suggested that available equipment was basic in the extreme - not really a good reflection on Poole/BSPA (delete as appropriate).

As far as blaming the riders, I think that is plain daft. The discussions between the riders/ Clerk of the Course / Referee on SKY showed quite clearly that the riders were coming out to race (not ride) on the proviso that it didn't start raining again. We all saw what happened, and I can't believe that the riders can be held responsible for the meeting being abandoned. The clerk of the course intimated that everything possible (with limited resources ?) had been done on the track. (By the way, I am intrigued what H&S would make of the guy's tryong to manhandle the bag of sawdust - a definite lack of appropriate equipmet, and hence a risk assessment)

IF blame has to be aportioned to what was yet another fiasco really, then I would say it should be Weather 20%, Riders 20%, organisers 60%.

Does anybody think that we should have another topic entitled ' An open letter to the organisers of the 2006 ELRC' ? :D

British Elite League Speedway, the worlds top riders, the worlds top racing, oh just so long as it's dry, sunny and an A1 track in tip top DRY conditions  :mad:
Not too bothered it was called off tbh, it was still raining 20mins after the

call off and the water was coming through the sky studio pretty consistently.

The meeting wouldnt have been off in Poland and Sweden as they would have ripped the wet stuff off and relaid the surface as in manilla, as was said in SKY studio why did the bspa not ensure that there was suitable resource in place like 3 heavy duty graders ready just to take the shale off???

At the end of the day the polish leagues pay top whack and thats the riders focus, maybe the bspa will wake up to that and promote the sport over here.

BTW was the ELRC sponsored??? Didnt seem to see anything being promoted on Sky??

I have to say that I agree with you 100% on that one HenryW. If the levels of rain had been as described, and if there had been no watering past 15:30, the ONLY explanation was that once again we were going to be presented with an Ole Olsen track. The equipment on display whilst they were trying to repair the damage to the track, suggested that available equipment was basic in the extreme - not really a good reflection on Poole/BSPA (delete as appropriate).

As far as blaming the riders, I think that is plain daft. The discussions between the riders/ Clerk of the Course / Referee on SKY showed quite clearly that the riders were coming out to race (not ride) on the proviso that it didn't start raining again. We all saw what happened, and I can't believe that the riders can be held responsible for the meeting being abandoned. The clerk of the course intimated that everything possible (with limited resources ?) had been done on the track. (By the way, I am intrigued what H&S would make of the guy's tryong to manhandle the bag of sawdust - a definite lack of appropriate equipmet, and hence a risk assessment)

IF blame has to be aportioned to what was yet another fiasco really, then I would say  it should be Weather 20%, Riders 20%, organisers 60%.

Does anybody think that we should have another topic entitled ' An open letter to the organisers of the 2006 ELRC' ?  :D

The Poole promotion have a full set of track equipment, from heavy duty track graders through to two tractors with various attachments. The track was in excellent condition when the meeting was called off. As Paul Aplin said, there was nothing more he could do, because the track was there ready to race!

The fact that not one rider even came out to "test" whether it was suitable or not shows that they had made their mind up that they were not going to race regardless of whether the track was OK or not.

Catching the flights to Poland were far more important than the fans in the stadium or watching on Sky.

The Poole promotion have a full set of track equipment, from heavy duty track graders through to two tractors with various attachments. The track was in excellent condition when the meeting was called off. As Paul Aplin said, there was nothing more he could do, because the track was there ready to race!

The fact that not one rider even came out to "test" whether it was suitable or not shows that they had made their mind up that they were not going to race regardless of whether the track was OK or not.

Catching the flights to Poland were far more important than the fans in the stadium or watching on Sky.

A bit of astretch there Steve! ;) He so obvioulsy meant that the track was irrepairable rather than that it was fine! :rolleyes:

That said there appeared to be 2 groups of riders (from what I saw on SKY anyway) stood around discussing the track - one group included Crump, Nicholls and Nicki P the other group included PK, Andersen and Loram. One group were shaking their heads with faces like thunder and the other group were smiling and laughing......no wtoday's quiz question - Which of these two groups of riders are in the GP's? :blink::P:rolleyes:

answer the ones who are earning big pay days in poland today. i think you can add adams to the crump group you could see they had no intention of carrying on.the wry sarcastic smile on mark lorams face said it all you could tell he knew what the big? boys were trying to do .they didnt want to hang about . some riders think there bigger than the sport there not

A bit of astretch there Steve!  ;) He so obvioulsy meant that the track was irrepairable rather than that it was fine!  :rolleyes:

Quite right Lupus, If the track had been in a good ( Not Slick, not over watered) condition at 15:29 then the situation would have been recoverable to a satisfactory degree, and the ELRC would have stood a chance. If there was a heavy duty grader available, why wasn't it used ? Maybe there was a Grader, but no new shale to put down ?

Rusky do I have to spell it out to you?

T-H-E-R-E W-A-S N-O-T-H-I-N-G W-R-O-N-G W-I-T-H T-H-E T-R-A-C-K.

So thats why Green and tatum were puzzled the track was so heavily watered?

Everyone getting on at the riders and how bad it looked. But, seriously, throwing half the Amazon rainforest onto the track's hardly that professional to Sky viewers, is it? Especially if they're regular Sky watchers and see the heavy duty gear that they have in Sweden (Malilla last year) and Poland - seems British tracks have raided a tractor museum for their equipment.

In my view, Jason Crump did precious little wrong today. He gave his opinion. People saying Crump, Nicki P and Adams were the "ring leaders" - well, let me see, that's the world's No 2, No 3 and No 4. I think their opinion carries more weight than anyone here, myself included. Crump, obviously, as the highest-profile rider in the meeting is always going to draw the most attention.

But let's not climb all over Poole's back either. They're no better and no worse than any other EL track. In the prevalent weather conditions the same thing would've happened at Oxford, Eastbourne, Peterborough, Ipswich, wherever.

Want to have an ELRC held? Take it to Sweden or Poland and there'll be no trouble.

WEHAYYY !! Some common sense at last. Trawling through post after post no one picked up on the 1830 Tractor Derby scene we saw. And its the same all over Britain. I posted about how bikes and equipment have moved on but track prep has stood still since Noah's days but no one picked up on it. Too many people scoring points against this rider or that rider that they dont particularly like. I'll say it again for those in blinkers. WHY CAN'T WE DO TRACK PREP LIKE THE SWEDES ?

A good post Subedei.

Edited by Philip Addison

Rusky do I have to spell it out to you?

Sorry Steve, we are going to have to disagree on this one. From where I was sitting, the track did not look at all good, and the way the riders were 'spinning up' in the turns, suggested that it had been made with a very hard base so that the water couldn't soak in, and any water applied (naturally or otherwise) just sat on the top, and effectively turned to ice, as commernted on by numerous riders in the interviews.

Well what a sham!!! Does it not rain in OZ or what????? Agree with all Steve posted(and that doesn't happen often!!)Maybe Mr Prima was worried that a certain Danish rider was going to win - cos it rains in Denmark and they are used to it !!And to all the stupid fans that were banging on the Sky sports vehicle blaming them - they were the last people that wanted it called off - cost them thousands !!!

And yes the sun did come out again! B) And yes it is me Shazz!! Long time since I've been on here - but I'm back !!! :mad:

Welcome back Rainbow, long time no see. Cheers, "ZETTERS",3,9^