British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

An Open Letter To The Riders At The Elrc

Hmmmmm the travel arrangements seem to be the bugbear here, oh dear.

Kelv and Jonathan did say, during the British GP coverage which SKY put on instead, that it had been dry for 45 mins after they called it off, how disappointing.

Put the riders in a very difficult position but of course it was the fans that missed out ala Shovlar's posting above.

Yes he was ahead and i agree he has alot more time for fans than a certain rider.

But he is normally the first to protest

Maybe if his kevlars get dirty his wife beats him for clogging the washing machine up with shale Lmao

Steve

it was stated that the track was watered. if as already stated the weather forecast stated showers why did this happen.  what is your view on this

It had been a dry day with no threat of rain on the radar when I looked at lunchtime. When I entered the sradium the track had been watered. but no excessively and it looked really great with a smooth inside line on the bends and deeper and grippier further out. No watering took place that I noticed after 3.30 pm.

The problem was that the shower was extremely localised. We could see it coming, and either side of the shower the shys were cloudy but it wasn't raining. The wind was virtually no existant, so the clouds were hardly moving. It looked like the shower formed about a mile from the stadium and rained on us, while half a mile either side it would have stayed dry. In fact I drove all the way home in dry conditions with no showers about at all.

The track staff should not be blamed in any way for watering the track. If the riders had bothered to make the effort to put a leg over their bikes we would have had superb racing in the second half of the meeting.

If the Oxford track was as bad as it was reported to be, how on earth did they get the riders to take part?

I spoke to Rob Peasley at the stdium this afternoon and he said that the track at Cowley on Friday was far, far worse than the track at Poole today, which he said was completely raceable.

When he gets home he is bound to post his thoughts.

this will be the same rider that was actually wining the meeting and has time for his fans not like the prima donner who has graced the poole race jacket before trick

What's a prima donner? Top of the range kebab? :P Are you on the funny juice tonight? Your main man was one of the main protagonists for wanting to call it off. Fact. It was he who called the referee over for the first meeting and was talking round the rest of the riders. For whatever reason he didn't want it to continue I know not! He had a lot of time for the paying public today didn't he? Still found time to plug his bloody book though. :angry: And to be honest i'm as disappointed in KK and the speed at which he was happy to give in before heat 7 as anyone else.

Great post by the way Steve. I'm still totally gobsmacked at what I witnessed today. I've seen meetings carry on at Poole after torrential downpours - following remedial trackwork. I look forward to the statements that come out from the various sources after this.

steve

How much water had been put on the track? lets give the riders some credit unless one of you walked the track how can it be stated that it was rideable?

No matter what they would have done it was going to upset someone. when the ref said lets ride crump did says right lets go for it and had nothing to do with the riders not going out for heat 7

Again in fairness he's not going to kick off infront of the camera's as he would of made himself look worse than he already did. cos none of the other riders were complaining they were fired up for the meeting and wanted to ride.

Fully agree with every word Steve. I settled in front of my TV (unfortunately unable to be there in person) in the hope of watching a great meeting, only to be let down again. And I believe it was by the riders, not the weather.

Yes, it had rained and yes, the track was a bit slippy but as Greg Hancock said in an interview, it was rideable. Chris Louis and Mark Loram were both up for it - they said so on TV, so why oh why call off a meeting that given time could have been an excellent one???

I don't want to pick out riders for blame because a lot of them were being stubborn but I just feel that all of the troublemakers should feel a slight bit ashamed of the part they played in this afternoon's shambles. The worst part is for all the paying fans who mayn't be able to get the re-staging, and some of the riders may have prior engagements too, meaning the event could potentially become a laughing stock, with a poor mis-match field.

I also feel sorry for the track staff who bust a gut, with no reward whatsoever.

What is happening to our sport???? SKY will soon get sick of this - 2 weeks in a row cancelled. Lets pray for good weather tomorrow for the Wolves match.

steve

How much water had been put on the track?  lets give the riders some credit unless one of you walked the track how can it be stated that it was rideable?

I have no idea how much water was put on the track. Looking at it the same as usual. At Poole we do have a very well prepared track, with dust never showing up unless its an afternoon meeting in the height of summer when Eastbourne visit!

In fact on Friday conditions were fantastic all morning with no dust at all.

Today at 3.30 the track looked like it would give a fantastic meeting with a bit of dirt on the track for the racers and slicker on the inside line for the curb crawlers.

The shower we had was not the cause of the stoppage. It was certain riders influencing others.

Liked your , first post Steve ,agree totally.Afew years back went to watch Newport v Russia and it was torrential.I mean bloody torrential.Everyone used their heads AND their throttles.Plenty of overtaking and a good meeting.Bloody shame on this shower.

I spoke to Rob Peasley at the stdium this afternoon and he said that the track at Cowley on Friday was far, far worse than the track at Poole today, which he said was completely raceable.

Well he would say that wouldn't he.

Yes the Cowley track on Friday was far worse that the track at Poole today, but it was a long way from raceable - but that's another story.

Why wasnt more time given to restart the meeting after the showers finished .

The track never looked so wet that a small amount of time could not of been spent to get the meeting on again.

Just wondering why the other threads have been locked as this seems a very sore subject and one which should be discussed openly.

Because people are posting similar things on both Chris, in fact there's now 5 threads about these 6 races :blink:

It's best to leave it all on one thread, and we'll have to leave this one open so that all these riders can get in touch with Steve :)