British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark Goldfinch

Info Needed Re :GIL GOLDFINCH Late 50"S-Early 60"S

Guest Mark Goldfinch

:?: Help! I am trying to find archive press etc about my father who rode for numberous teams in the late 50's-early 60's, such as Wimbledon, Long Eaton, Newcastle and Belle Vue.

If anyone can give me any leads as to where I can get old photos, press, programmes etc I would be most greateful.

Thanks in anticipation

M.GOLDFINCH

I've got the Speedway Stars from that period and may be able to send you some info.

Might take me a few days to get it together though

GOLDFINCH, Gill

League Career Record

1954: 18m, 154pts, 8.55ave, California, SAL

1955: 12, 81, 6.75, California, SAL

1956: 2, 17, 8.50, California, SAL

1956: 18, 18, 1.00, Div 1, Wimbledon

1957: 1, 10, 10.00, Rye House, SAL

1957: 2, 9, 4.50, Eastbourne, SAL

1959: 1, 1, 1.00, Div 1, Wimbledon

1959: 1, 3, 3.00, Wimbledon Reserves

1959: 3, 5, 1.66, Poole Reserves

1959: 6, 54, 9.00, Eastbourne, SAL

1959: 7, 62, 8.85, Ipswich, SAL

1960: 17, 45, 2.64, Div 1, Wimbledon

1961: 12, 30, 2.50, Div 1, Wimbledon

1961: 14, 136.5, 9.75, Div 2, Newcastle

1962: 2, 2, 1.00, Div 1, Wimbledon

1962: 20, 137, 6.85, Div 2, Newcastle

1963: 1, 3, 3.00, Div 1, Wimbledon

1963: 12, 59, 4.91, Div 2, Long Eaton

Trained at Arlington (Eastbourne) in 1951 and helped Wimbledon juniors win the 1952 league. Concentrated on racing overseas in 1957, coming back late in the season for Eastbourne. Described as a clever rider, using track craft alone to pick up many of his points. Announced his retirement prior to 1955 season, later returning to the saddle. He retired again in July of 1963.

There you are Frigbo. You needn't go crawling up in the loft now. :D

Thanks Moxey63.

I remember the name Gil Goldfinch very well, but that's about it. I probably mostly saw him riding at Long Eaton.

Guest Mark Goldfinch

JUST LIKE TO SAY THANKS TO THOSE OF YOU,WHO HAVE POSTED INFO&LEADS REGARDING MY FATHER,IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED,ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU

MARK GOLDFINCH

Mark, your parents are mentioned in Ivan Mauger's book, Triple Crown Plus. They were friends of Ivan and Raye Mauger when they first came to Britain in the late 50's. I wish I could tell you more, but some low life got into my car one morning and stole my work bag which had the book in it.

Have great memories of Gil at Newcastle. Super smooth and instrumental

in getting Mike Watkin, a novice at the time to improve rapidly due to his

unselfish team riding.

Is Gil still alive or has he passed away -if so when??

Recall a funny incident involving Gil at, I think Aldershot, early days. There were no showers yet so they placed a row of metal bowls in the middle of the changing rooms full of warm water. Gil stripped off and the black ash had filled up his boots and covered his legs and feet. He then skipped through the row of bowls turning the water to a black ink like substance, much to the dismay of all the riders! But you had to see the funny side. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is Gil still alive or has he passed away -if so when??

I think you will find that Gil died(i think of Blood Poisening ?)in 1963 and because of his Jewish religion was buried within 24 hours. I used to love to see Gil ride and he was my favourite rider in the early days in 1961/2. He was such an unselfish rider guiding the likes of Mike Watkin from the rear and always riding as a team man rather than for himself. Never really did well in open meetings but I think in 1962 represented the Diamonds in the PLRC at Belle Vue(Hyde Road)alongside Ivan Brian and Bill A. His distinctive long left leg was very useful in stopping opponents undertaking him and of course made him wider on the track to get past. He originally came to us from Wimbledon along with Pat Flanaghan who came from Plymouth as part of the package.

There are items, Team photos and individual photos of Gil on John Skinner's excellent History of Newcastle Speedway website Well worth a couple of hours reliving the memories. :D

RIP Gil.