British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Joanne

Prague GP

Be warned its not as cheap as it was Chris....things are starting to go up in preparation for coming into Europe......STill a lot cheaper than home tho!

What's the best way to get from the airport to our hotel, I only ask as I have been told that the taxi's can be a rip off. Has anyone been there done that and got some advice, or am I being over cautious.

According to sources taxi prices are set dependant on which area you are travelling to. Apparantly you should only travel in officially marked taxis otherwise the fare could well be more expensive then first realised.

A tram/bus to Wencelas Square is approx 12k which works out at about 35p.

The choice is yours.

For further info check out www.myczechrepublic.com/prague/safety.html

For the benefit of Discoll (and any other new travellers to Prague)

Arrival in Prague Airport

Upon clearing passport control, you will pass through some automatic frosted glass doors, leading you into the Entrance to the Airport.

To your left will be an automatic money exchange machine, to your right some stairs leading upwards. Infront, and to the right are car rental desks, public information desks, etc. It is from the public information desks that you can purchase 3 day (or even 5 day) public transport passes.

These give you access to buses, trams, and underground, and in 2002 they cost about 200 Kc for 3 days.

Exit the building via the front exit, and go straight ahead over 2 or 3 zebra crossings, following the signs for the 119 Bus.

After 100 yards or so, the roads conclude with a standard road, from where you can pick up the 119 Bus.

The 119 Bus runs from the airport to the underground stop at “Dejvicka”, and only to “Dejvicka”, i.e. it is the Airport Shuttle.

Once aboard the bus, stamp your 3 day passes in the on board ticket machines. This validates your tickets, and the 3 day period starts from the moment you stamp your tickets.

Dejvicka is where you can pick up the Underground (Green Line – Line A), and is about 3-4 miles journey on the bus from the airport. It takes about 15-20 minutes.

Just get off when everyone gets off. The bus goes no further than Dejvicka, apart from back to the Airport.

Being foreign, the bus will be on the correct side of the road for the Underground station.

Go into Dejvicka Station, watch out for the fast escalators as they are easy to fall down after a tiring journey especially when you are loaded up with cases. (There speaks the voice of experience :!: )

Once in Dejvicka station, continue down to the platforms, the train will only be going in one direction from Dejvicka, and indeed arriving from one direction, as Dejvicka is the first stop on the line.

You will not need to stamp your tickets again at any time whilst in Prague, just look after them, and if a ordinary looking bloke (ie. No uniform) approaches you and shows you a “Sherrifs” Badge, he will be a ticket inspector, just show him your ticket and you’ll be OK.

Travel on the Underground from Dejvicka all the way through to the most appropriate station to your hotel / accomodation.

NB : I’d suggest either Mustek or Muzuem as both are reasonably close to Wencelas Square.

Stops on Line A are as follows.

Dejvicka

Hradcanska

Malostranska

Staromestska

Mustek

Muzeum

Hlavni Madazi

Nam Miru

Jiriho z Podebrad (the TV Tower stop)

Flora

Zelivskeho

Strasnicka

Stalka

Getting to Stadion Marketa

My suggestion is that you take the Underground to Malostranska station (Green line).

Exit Malostranska station to street level, where you can pick up the No.22 tram which will take you up to the area of Prague called “Brevnov”. This is where the Speedway is.

The tram lines run in the middle of the road, accordingly the tram stops are in the middle also

You will need the No.22 that is going uphill, rather than the one going downhill back into town.

Once on the No.22, watch for the stops on the onboard displays, and the maps that are in the carriages. There are around 20 stops beofre you'll need to get off, but its a nice route up past the Castle. You need to get off at the stop "Vypich", rather than "Brevnov". You will see the stadium up on the hill from Brevnov, but Vypich is closer to the Stadion Marketa.

To all of you going to Prague, have a good time. :)

Blimey, informtion overload, I'll have to read that a few times to try and remember where to go but thanks that should help me out at least.

I will be staying in the Hotel Marit, Capkova 13/400, anyone got any idea whereabouts this is and how far from the centre of town?? :roll:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info ballinger, really looking forward to the weekend.

If you see me in a bar, (I'll be wearing a blue spedway-forum cap) come over and say hello.

Hotel Marit appears to be close to tram line 11, which runs from Cernokostelecka, through the city centre, and ends at Sporilov.

Check out

http://www.dp-praha.cz/en/index.htm

for detailed maps of the Underground & Tram system.

Forgot to say previously, that the No.22 to the Speedway should have the destination "Bila Hora" on the front of it. Vypich is I think just 2 stops from the end of the line.

Thank you ballinger, what could go wrong now, with a print out of your directions the world is my lobster and all I have to do is turn them upside down on the way back couldn’t be simpler.

We are staying at the Anna hotel and I expect we will find it by the third day if all goes well.

I looked at a map of the city and pressed the little union flag thingy but it was no good as all the street names are still are still printed in Czech, must have been broken.

If anyone else is flying out from Heathrow on Friday look out for me in terminal four. This could be an interesting weekend one way or another.

Wow, Ballinger. Have you got a photographic memory :shock: :?: I've printed it all off. I'm OK from/to the airport as I've got transfers arranged to/from my hotel.

Didn't realise when I booked my hotel that I'd have to pay 20p more for a beer. Not to worry though, I'll just walk to a pub thats cheaper ;)

When I first went to Prague in 1994, I made the error of going without any maps or any information whatsoever. I actually prepared the information about getting about a few years ago for friends, and I just check that its still up to date every time I now go there.

Besides, any help I can give my "Darling Harbour" buddies goes without saying.

thanks for that info, its now in my back pocket. Just about to leave work to get change to go to prague, so by the time you guys get out there all the budvar will be gone!

is there a meeting planned? they will be 4 of us so would be good to meet up.

Ill be wearing the coventry top on saturday, but not before.

any ideas for good bars?

Thank you ballinger, what could go wrong now?

Anyone seen the track yet? only joking have an excellent time at the GP discoll xx

have an excellent time at the GP discoll xx

Thanks shazzybird, I think I will enjoy this one. Do they get any rain in Prague at this time of year ?????????? :shock:

Besides, any help I can give my "Darling Harbour" buddies goes without saying.

Thanks buddy, When are we going to do that again, it was fun. :)

Thanks shazzybird, I think I will enjoy this one. Do they get any rain in Prague at this time of year ??????????  

You should be ok discoll....they had their full years quota 17th July, the night we spent at Prague airport cos of the rain :?

We're driving out to Prague again tomorrow night & I must say I can't wait! It looks like Prague will be invaded this weekend!

Is anyone else looking for a meeting to go to on Sunday? (don't say the GP!)

The Polish tracks close to the Czech border all seem to be away this weekend. The only meeting we can come up with is the Czech Pairs tournament at a place called Brezolupy - KO is 2.30 & we can't find a rider line up yet, so if anyone knows who'll be riding......?!!

We're driving out to Prague again tomorrow night & I must say I can't wait! It looks like Prague will be invaded this weekend!

Is anyone else looking for a meeting to go to on Sunday? (don't say the GP!)

The Polish tracks close to the Czech border all seem to be away this weekend. The only meeting we can come up with is the Czech Pairs tournament at a place called Brezolupy - KO is 2.30 & we can't find a rider line up yet, so if anyone knows who'll be riding......?!!

And does anyone know how to get there from Prague station?