British Speedway Forum
stressed

Team Gb & Middlo Call Up Havvy

Thinking about it though, it's highly unlikely that anyone other than the usual 5/6 names is even going to get a look in for a ride so whether it's Eddie or anyone else named, it's all just that, a name on a squad sheet. I certainly can't think of any experienced international standard riders that have been left out (which is what we're going to need), with a very small exception of maybe Deano, but that's it.

There's no way that Olly Allen should have been left out of the 12. His form for the Bees has been first class this year. He top scored for the Bees at Oxford on Wednesday (beating home rider David Howe on the track and also in the scoring stakes with paid 15 as opposed to paid 7). On Friday, for the Bees against Reading, once more he headed the Bees scores (along with Bomber this time), beating Gary Havelock in the process (not that I have any issues at all with Gary's selection). My gripe is that Edward Kennett, Danny Bird and David Howe have all been picked ahead of Olly. Perhaps Neil Middleditch, who we all know reads this forum, would like to give us some indication of his thought process here because, whilst I stand to be corrected, as far as I can see he hasn't gone on current form.

The way Olly has turned his form around this season is terrific. A call up to the GB squad would have been a suitable reward. I'm gutted for him that he has been left out.

There's no way that Olly Allen should have been left out of the 12.  His form for the Bees has been first class this year.  He top scored for the Bees at Oxford on Wednesday (beating home rider David Howe on the track and also in the scoring stakes with paid 15 as opposed to paid 7).  On Friday, for the Bees against Reading, once more he headed the Bees scores (along with Bomber this time),  beating Gary Havelock in the process (not that I have any issues at all with Gary's selection).  My gripe is that Edward Kennett, Danny Bird and David Howe have all been picked ahead of Olly.  Perhaps Neil Middleditch, who we all know reads this forum, would like to give us some indication of his thought process here because, whilst I stand to be corrected, as far as I can see he hasn't gone on current form.

The way Olly has turned his form around this season is terrific.  A call up to the GB squad would have been a suitable reward.  I'm gutted for him that he has been left out.

Well for one I would put my money on DB over Olly around Smallmead any day of the week. Though Eddie Kennett at Smallmead?

Edited by newbieoldboy

I really support Olly and want him to succeed but G The Bee really shows WHY he is not ready IMO. He is not beating anyone serious or on form.

I think that he is now starting to do what he was always capable of. Olly is a hard riding lower order rider who has the 1st bend aggression to send more timid oppenents scattering and hes starting to put this back in to action.

He has also only ever made very steady -consolidated- but importantly, very slow, progress and even as a fan I think he is nowhere near ready for senior internationals.

Edited by SwineTown

Thinking about it  though, it's highly unlikely that anyone other than the usual 5/6 names is even going to get a look in for a ride so whether it's Eddie or anyone else named, it's all just that, a name on a squad sheet. I certainly can't think of any experienced international standard riders that have been left out (which is what we're going to need), with a very small exception of maybe Deano, but that's it.

Cant believe Deano helped his cause when guesting for Poole in front of Middlo . :unsure:

why oh why is edward kennett in the squad?

please can someone tell me why eddie kennett is in the squad

is it what he can do on a speedway bike or who he knows

it is not that i dont like the lad but at this point in time on form there are better options

Two postings in 2 days asking about Edward Kennett has been picked ....... but you've nothing against him :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why Edward has been picked in all honesty though if he doesn't make the move to EL soon he will almost certainly miss the boat (so to speak) as for him getting in because of "who he knows" I doubt that very much, maybe Middlo like I do, sees potential in the lad for coming seasons and with the experience of riding or even being named in the TEAM GB squad could give the lad the push he so badly needs to go EL!!!

I can't understand why Daniel King isn't in the GB squad. He is averaging a healthy 6.00 this year and in recent weeks has been riding really well. He was runner up in the bRitish U21 and certainly deserves a place ahead of Kennett.

These are the stats for the riders in the squad:

8.75 ~ Mark Loram (Ipswich…GB…35) after 102 rides

8.73 ~ Simon Stead (Belle Vue…GB…24) after 82 rides

8.68 ~ Scott Nicholls (Coventry…GB…28) after 100 rides

7.84 ~ Joe Screen (Belle Vue…GB…33) after 75 rides

7.61 ~ Chris Louis (Ipswich…GB…36) after 93 rides

7.07 ~ David Norris (Eastbourne…GB…33) after 95 rides

6.80 ~ Lee Richardson (Swindon…GB…27) after 90 rides

6.52 ~ Chris Harris (Coventry…GB…23) after 89 rides

5.78 ~ David Howe (Oxford…GB…24) after 90 rides

4.00 ~ Edward Kennett (Eastbourne…GB…19) after 24 rides

These are the ones not selected:

7.57 ~ Dean Barker (Eastbourne…GB…35) after 83 rides

7.27 ~ Leigh Lanham (Arena Essex…GB…28) after 77 rides

6.55 ~ Paul Hurry (Arena Essex…GB…31) after 66 rides

6.00 ~ Daniel King (Ipswich…GB…19) after 76 rides

5.86 ~ Oliver Allen (Coventry…GB…24) after 86 rides

5.82 ~ Carl Wilkinson (Ipswich…GB…25) after 22 rides

5.71 ~ William Lawson (Wolverhampton…GB…19) after 28 rides

5.46 ~ Andy Smith (Reading…GB…40) after 82 rides

5.18 ~ Lewis Bridger (Eastbourne…GB…16) after 95 rides

4.92 ~ Shaun Tacey (Poole…GB…31) after 13 rides

4.36 ~ Phil Morris (Belle Vue…GB…30) after 88 rides

4.07 ~ James Wright (Belle Vue…GB…20) after 55 rides

4.06 ~ Andrew Moore (Eastbourne…GB…23) after 62 rides

4.00 ~ Andrew Appleton (Eastbourne…GB…23) after 17 rides

And Joe Screen :(

What does that comment mean? If it was that Joe shouldn't be there, then take a look at the averages. Having a very good season. IMO.

Sry - Not got hang of this quoting lark yet. E minus - Must do better.

Edited by big lebowski

'Mon the Danny Bird!!!!!!

He is back to his best form now at Glasgow and could well be a surprise call up for the Reading match..........Well us Glasgow fans can still dream!!!! At least we have Kake in the World Cup!!

'Mon the Danny Bird!!!!!!

He is back to his best form now at Glasgow and could well be a surprise call up for the Reading match..........Well us Glasgow fans can still dream!!!! At least we have Kake in the World Cup!!

As someone said at Reading last night. I don't think any British rider has had a faster heat time at Smallmead this year than Danny did last year. Even of those listed with the race off and final at Reading Dean Barker, Leigh Lanham Danny King and Phil Morris should all be in the squad before Eddie Kennet.

Edited by newbieoldboy

As someone said at Reading last night. I don't think any British rider has had a faster heat time at Smallmead this year than Danny did last year. Even of those listed with the race off and final at Reading  Dean Barker, Leigh Lanham Danny King and Phil Morris should all be in the squad before Eddie Kennet.

Exactly!! Come Neil Middleditch, you know the right choice is to pick Danny Bird!!!