British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Riders' debuts

The recent impressive debut by Janusz Duckbilledplattypusz at Reading reminded me of the time Swindon planned to sign a new rider back in the 70s. I can’t remember the name of their intended target – something like Kenneth Samualsson (?) – who was touring with the Kaparna side. They went to watch him, but in the end decided not to take him but to go with another young Swede who had impressed in the tour matches.

The unknown youngster was duly signed up, and promptly shot out of the start to win his first ever race at Blunsdon and become an instant hit with the fans. His name? Jan Andersson, no less.

Can anyone recall any other impressive debuts, or, for that matter, less impressive ones, from riders who went on to prove something special?

It's true - big things were expected of Blixt weren't they, but he never truly became the big star that was expected.

Not exactly a debut, but I remember there was a USA v Rest of the World match at the Houston Astrodome many years ago and an American called Jeff Sexton came out and was beating everybody - yet was to all intents and purposes never heard of again (or at least not by me anyway).

Oxford tried to sign Jeff Sexton in 1976, didn't materialise for some reason and he dissappeared into oblivion.

Mikael Blixt was badly injured riding for Berwick in the early 90's and had to pack in.

Jimmy Nilsen's debut in a pairs event in '85 was pretty hot (9+2)!!

fribo's debut in the cycle speedway match v the headley hawks in 85 four from four outings never to be seen again after getting pissed at poole :D:D:D:D

Ah! a cracking performance considering i could barely see straight!!

Less impressive debut: Terry Betts for Norwich. He rode in four meetings in 1960 and did not score a single point. Didn't improve much in 1961. Then...

He suddenly came good in one match in 1962 away at Belle Vue. On a night when Ove Fundin managed to score just four points, Betts scored a 15 point maximum including two victories over Peter Craven on his home track. Craven was later to win the World Championship that year. From then on Bettsy never looked back.

Mikael Blixt was badly injured riding for Berwick in the early 90's and had to pack in.

A huge shame that such an exciting riders career was cut so short. He was an instant hit with the Peterborough fans for the short time he was there. I thought I had heard that Mikael was still involved in speedway as an engine tuner these days? Can anyone confirm that?

More impressive debut: John Louis. In each of the first two matches he ever rode in he scored seven points. He finished his debut season as Ipswich's top scorer with 7 full and 1 paid maximum. He also took the Silver Helmet during the season and successfully defended it seven times.

In his second season he averaged 11.31, easily topping the league averages, scoring 21 full and 4 paid maximums on the way. He successfully defended the Silver Helmet 25 times and won the Division Two Riders' Championship.

Wasn't the story with John Louis that he broke into Foxhall Stadium, stole the track spare and started riding around the track? When he was approached he thought he was in trouble but they signed him up instead. Not sure how true that is though - may have just been a PR tale.

I remember what must have been Bruce Penhall's UK debut. He came over with Mike Bast for an Overseas Final at White City. Both of them were well out of their depth and they managed just one point between them.

Believe he started racing quite late too. Wasn't he about 27 or 28?

I remember what must have been Bruce Penhall's UK debut. He came over with Mike Bast for an Overseas Final at White City. Both of them were well out of their depth and they managed just one point between them.

It was actually the 1977 Inter Continental Final Grachan. Hard to believe that within five years of that inauspicious debut Bruce had been twice world champion, possibly the most recognisable speedway racer of the modern era and retired to become a movie star.

Wasn't the story with John Louis that he broke into Foxhall Stadium, stole the track spare and started riding around the track? When he was approached he thought he was in trouble but they signed him up instead. Not sure how true that is though - may have just been a PR tale.

May I quote from that excellent book, 'Speedway in East Anglia' by...the name of the author escapes me at the moment...:

"It was in 1969 that John Louis was approached and asked if he would like to have a go at speedway. In spite of being a top local scrambler, Louis was very reluctant to have a go. In the end he agreed to a trial session on condition that it was held after a meeting; that all the stadium lights had to be turned off for ten minutes so that all the spectators would leave and then, and only then, would he try his hand. All the conditions were met, but Louis got scared and joined the crowd by going home instead! Eventually, he was persuaded to ride in a second-half event and the rest, as they say, is history."

I believe that is the true story of Louis' debut!

And yes, Gem, he was quite old. 28 I think, but not sure.

A 16-year-old Joe Screen made a cracking debut as I remember - winning a couple of races for the Aces. There was lots of hype around another 16-year-old - Paul Dugard, but he never really looked the part.

A 16-year-old Joe Screen made a cracking debut as I remember - winning a couple of races for the Aces.

Indeed. It was against my team (bradford) :-(