Sign in to follow this  
Triple B's

David Nix Memorial Meeting (29-09-06)

1st. Nathan Irwin

2nd. Mark Jones

3rd. James Birkinshaw

4th. Darren Mallett

Edited by Triple B's

You beat me to it Ben. I'll add that the unluckiest rider of the night award went to Richie Dennis who fell in his 2nd ride when his throttle stuck open and then failed to make it out in his next ride presumably because of his bike troubles. Most entertaining rider of the night went to Mark Jones not only for his racing but those wheelies!!

James Birkinshaw top scored with 14 points from the heats followed by Mark Jones on 13, Danny Betson on 12, Darren Mallett on 11 and Irwin, Mark Thompson and Benji Compton on 10. James and Mark went straight through to the final and Darren and Nathan Irwin made it through from the semi.

Obviously the semi and final were the two best races of the night.

Good to remember Nixy in this way :)

No one could stop nathen out of the gate he was flying

In week where the nation rose as one in admiration of Darren Clarke during the Ryder cup I think it only right and proper that we as a sport also salute the work of Pat Nix and family in the face of similar adversity.David was the epitome of a man in love with his sport and Pat has chosen an exellent way in which to honour that love.Long may it continue to thrive and raise money for good causes and thanks also to those riders that take part.

very well said . Pat's enthusiasm for the sport and the effort he puts into David's meeting is superb.

I was sorry I could not make it but it has been a busy week and I got tied up doing some work on Friday afternoon and with every will in the world I could not get from where I was in the Midlands to Kings Lynn in time .(Sorry Pat --as I did say that if I could make I would have.)

Anyone got race results for this, Club CH representative got me a programme and would like to fill it in.Thanks :lol:

very well said . Pat's enthusiasm for the sport and the effort he puts into David's meeting is superb.

I was sorry I could not make it but it has been a busy week and I got tied up doing some work on Friday afternoon and with every will in the world I could not get from where I was in the Midlands to Kings Lynn in time .(Sorry Pat --as I did say that if I could make I would have.)

Same for me MM, alas because of another commitment I couldn't be there either much as I wanted to. I will never forget David and his cheery smile, nor indeed the incident in which he sadly lost his life doing what he wanted to do, that is race speedway. As you've said MM, Pat's ongoing enthusiasm for the sport and the work he puts into organising this meeting each year is truly remarkable and a fitting tribute to David himself.

Edited by Bryn

In week where the nation rose as one in admiration of Darren Clarke during the Ryder cup I think it only right and proper that we as a sport also salute the work of Pat Nix and family in the face of similar adversity.David was the epitome of a man in love with his sport and Pat has chosen an exellent way in which to honour that love.Long may it continue to thrive and raise money for good causes and thanks also to those riders that take part.

Fine tribute to a fine Gentleman.

Edited by spin king

Anyone got race results for this, Club CH representative got me a programme and would like to fill it in.Thanks :lol:

Here you go :D

Riders

01. Jonathan Bethell -F -1 -3 -0 -1 = 5

02. Danny Betson -3 -3 -2 -2 -2 = 12

03. Paul Burnett -1 -1 -0 -0 -0 = 3

04. Barry Burchatt -2 -1 -2 -1 -X2 = 6

05. Andrew Bargh -2 -2 -R -3 -1 = 8

06. Karlis Ezergailis -1 -1 -2 -2 -2 = 8

07. Darren Mallett -3 -2 -3 -2 -1 = 11

08. Nathan Irwin -0 -2 -2 -3 -3 = 10

09. Mark Thompson -3 -3 -1 -0 -3 = 10

10. Jessica Lamb -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 = 0

11. Richie Dennis -1 -F -X2 -1 -2 = 4

12. Benji Compton -2 -3 -1 -1 -3 = 10

13. Karl Mason -0 -0 -1 -R -1 = 2

14. James Birkinshaw -3 -2 -3 -3 -3 = 14

15. Mark Jones -2 -3 -3 -3 -2 = 13

16. James Purchase -1 -0 -0 -2 -0 = 3

17. Simon Lambert -1 = 1

18. Wayne Dunworth -0 = 0

Heat Details

Heat 01: Betson,Burchatt,Burnett,Bethell(Fell) (65.1)

Heat 02: Mallett,Bargh,Ezergailis,Irwin (63.2)

Heat 03: Thompson,Compton,Dennis(FRem),Lamb (63.4)

Heat 04: Birkinsahw,Jones,Purchase,Mason (63.3)

Heat 05: Thompson,Bargh,Bethell,Mason (62.9)

Heat 06: Betson,Birkinshaw,Ezergailis,Lamb (63.8)

Heat 07: Jones,Mallett,Burnett,Dennis(Fell) (63.8)

Heat 08: Compton,Irwin,Burchatt,Purchase (63.9)

Heat 09: Bethell,Ezergailis,Lambert(Res),Purchase,Dennis(X2) (64.8)

Heat 10: Jones,Betson,Compton,Bargh(Ret) (63.5)

Heat 11: Birkinshaw,Irwin,Thompson,Burnett (63.7)

Heat 12: Mallett,Burchatt,Mason,Lamb (64.8)

Heat 13: Birkinshaw,Mallett,Compton,Bethell (64.3)

Heat 14: Irwin,Betson,Dennis,Mason(Ret) (64.2)

Heat 15: Bargh,Purchase,Burneyy,Lamb (64.7)

Heat 16: Jones,Ezergailis,Burchatt,Thompson (64.2)

Heat 17: Irwin,Jones,Bethell,Lamb (64.8)

Heat 18: Thompson,Betson,Mallett,Purchase (64.6)

Heat 19: Compton,Ezergailis,Mason,Burnett (64.7)

Heat 20: Birkinshaw,Bargh,Dennis,Dunworth(Res),Burchatt(X2) (65.3)

Semi Final: (Re-Run) Irwin,Mallett,Betson,Thompson(Fx) (65.4)

Final: Irwin,Jones,Birkinshaw,Mallett (64.9)

Memorial meeting raises over £1400

The 2006 David Nix Memorial Speedway Meeting, held on 29 September at the King’s Lynn Norfolk Arena, has raised over £1,400 for BBC Radio Lincolnshire’s Gold Appeal. Nearly 400 spectators enjoyed an evening of top class Conference League Speedway with 16 riders vying for the coveted David Nix Trophy, won this year by Nathan Irwin who rides for the Boston Barracuda Braves.

Since David’s death, while riding at the Norfolk Arena in 2002, his father Patrick has organised an annual memorial meeting raising funds for children’s charities, this year benefiting the local radio station’s charitable trust, set up to send children to see the real Father Christmas in Lapland.

Patrick said: “I would like to thank all the riders that took part and everyone who helped, either by sponsoring heats, giving their time, volunteering, spectating or by donating prizes for the raffle, for making the evening yet another success.”

ENDS

Editor’s Note:

A handover of the cheque for £1,408.70 is being arranged and it is hoped this will take place “on air” during one of BBC Radio Lincolnshire’s daytime programmes.

BBC Radio Lincolnshire’s Gold Appeal is hoping to take 100 “Child Heroes” to see the real Father Christmas.

Two years ago the station raised more than £100,000 and took 100 seriously ill and severely handicapped children to meet Santa in Lapland. When the Trustees met the families of the children they realised that often they have a sibling who can be overlooked because of all the care and attention that has to be given to their sick brother or sister.

So now the Gold Charity’s Trustees want to build on the success of the 2004 appeal and raise a similar amount to fly these children to Lapland, along with other “young heroes” – children who have been very brave or who care for a parent or grandparent and deserve a special treat.

David Nix died while racing for King’s Lynn at the home track on 1 May 2002 when he was just 25 years old. Born and raised in Boston, he and his father Patrick were a familiar sight at Conference League meetings across the country.

Patrick Nix still attends meetings regularly at King’s Lynn as an official for Boston Barracuda Braves and on other occasions acting as mechanic for Carl Wilkinson, one of this season’s most exciting Premier League riders who used to compete with David.

Since 2003 an individual challenge for invited Conference League speedway riders has been held in David’s memory each season, with all profits benefiting a children’s charity. To date, over £4,000 has been raised.

You beat me to posting the news Triple Bs and I'm sure Pat is extremely grateful to everyone who contributed to such a fantastic amount of money being raised - including Wendy! :wink: I'm only saddened by the fact that I couldn't be there in person at the meeting this year because of a prior commitment although I was certainly there in spirit. none of us who new David will ever forget him, nor that fateful night on which he, so tragically, lost his life.