British Speedway Forum

For once i agree with delboy.

It didnt help that the track was ripped to bits during practice,the trackstaff dont have enough time to do a proper job,being marshalled by olsen and sky as when they are allowed to water etc.

However it was safe,nobody got injured and the 2 teams that looked favs to qualify both did so.Apparently it was 37 degs in the afternoon around the practice time,it will be a lot better on saturday,especially if ole denmark gets stuck on the motorway.

OO always wants slick tracks ... look at Bydgosz last year and it was slick !!! The best track in the SGP and they removed all the dirt from it !!

Hans Andersen said words along the lines of how OO likes the tracks - slick amongst other things ... as was bombed.

Everytime the riders are interviewed at SGP tracks they say it is usually grippy and has more dirt but it is slick ....... Cant recall them ever saying ... trtack is so different there is just so much dirt on it !! :D:D

Hope the track is not rubbishe Sat ... but then again from most on the forums the Reading track has been pretty dire all seaason ....

Sod off! 

:o:cry:

Apparently it was 37 degs in the afternoon

I believe that they said it was 37°c in the pits, all those hot bikes nudging the temps up. The hottest place in the country was only 32°c.

Although hot weather may dry the track out I believe blaming hot weather for poor tracks is nothing more a convenient excuse. If there'd been any dirt on the track there would have been something there to hold the water that was put on. As it was the water was quickly drying off a slick surface.

Unless the track is more suited to our riders on Saturday I fear we'll be lucky to score 20. :(

Everytime the riders are interviewed at SGP tracks they say it is usually grippy and has more dirt but it is slick ....... Cant recall them ever saying ... trtack is so different there is just so much dirt on it !! 

That's spot on. Double O has got to go. I think it's got a certain ring to it.

I have never understood why the water truck waters the outside of the track near the fence on the bends where the riders never go, and the track gets graded from the outside near the fence and the middle strip of the bends but not the blue line that was so apparent last night. The riders never go out there by choice, only if their momentum carries them that far in the slide. This seems to have grown to be the norm at several tracks around the country and not just at Reading last night. Tracks I've seen prepared by Bob Dugard at Eastbourne are graded from the fence to the white line and look the same before each race.

As for lack of staff at Reading last night, three of them were more interested in wiping dirt off the sponsors banners than they were in track prep.

And the GB performance? They did better than I expected (Dad's Army, etc) Its a bit like football. We can't expect a great national team when we pay lip service to things like Youth development and then gleefully stock our national league teams with foreign riders who proceed to beat us on our own tracks. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways.

As they say on Big Brother - you decide - but it seems the decision has already been taken some while ago.

Iam no expert on surfaces, but yesterdays track was really bad.

The actual amount of dirt was poor, they were down at the tracks base so fast. The blue groove came fast.

Really poor to pay quite a few £££££ to see the rubbish track. The riders cant do their best on it either I think..

For once i agree with delboy.

It didnt help that the track was ripped to bits during practice,the trackstaff dont have enough time to do a proper job,being marshalled by olsen and sky as when they are allowed to water etc.

However it was safe,nobody got injured and the 2 teams that looked favs to qualify both did so.Apparently it was 37 degs in the afternoon around the practice time,it will be a lot better on saturday,especially if ole denmark gets stuck on the motorway.

What I don't understand is that when Wolves rode at Eastbourne a few weeks agao (the night England played Portugal!) Uncle Bob got out on his tractor during a 15 mins interval and virtually relaid the track so that what was dry and dusty before the interval was as good as at the beginning of the meeting afterwards! It CAN be done but the skill and willingness to do it is a big factor IMHO! :P

Edited by lupus

What I don't understand is that when Wolves rode at Eastbourne a few weeks agao (the night England played Portugal!) Uncle Bob got out on his tractor during a 15 mins interval and virtually relaid the track so that what was dry and dusty before the interval was as good as at the beginning of the meeting afterwards!  It CAN be done but the skill and willingness to do it is a big factor IMHO!  :P

I agree lupus,but apparently there were many chiefs and few indians with regard to reading thurs pm.

So do we need to kidnapp Ole then? :unsure:

...and just in case the word 'kidnapp' alerts the boys in blue. It's a joke, not a serious suggestion. :P

I think its gonna be a case of "as you were" just think,the track will have a 4th day of racing on it because of the practice etc.Dougie has his work cut out,in this heat it's hard to get enough water into it too,25 heats is asking alot-i'm surprised it didn't break-up,the base probably got so baked that it didn't happen

As for "Blue Groove" it's best left for riders to see it,when you turn in on it it's like scalectric-it pulls you round and grips pretty hard!! if you pull dirt over it,yuo get wheelspin then when you go through the loose dirt,the tyre grabs and the bike pulls hard and the fence comes up pretty quick!!

maybe the race-off or the final should of been held elsewhere? maybe not such a "slickfest" to suit the danes :) (and wide enough to accomodate Anderson's dangerous behaviour!)

Tomorrow wont be much different if the weather is the same. Dougie was always going to have his work cut out having 50+ races (including re-runs) in 3 days - and then Practices before both meetings

Just plain crazy.

As for these people saying it was hot where they were and the track was good etc etc - people just dont realise how much a practice session takes out of the track.

Good luck to Dougie and Eric - they will be praying for a thunderstorm - cos at least they wouldn't get the abuse they have so far.

...and just in case the word 'kidnapp' alerts the boys in blue.  It's a joke, not a serious suggestion.  :P

It would only be the spelling Police :P

Wouldn't have commented but you put it in twice !

Rico :rolleyes: