British Speedway Forum
Herbie the Hammer

Fay Taylour

Not really no, but then Hitler did a damn good job of masking his true intentions, and who can really say that the principle of communism doesn't look good on paper?

Except, with the advantage of 20/20 hindsight, we now know Hitler was a fanatic dictator with a screwed up utopian view of his future world, and any right thinking person at the time would've been scared by Ms Taylour's private views.

I think she should think herself fairly lucky to have been released from internment, afterall, many people were interned just because they happened to come from the wrong place; with what the secret service had on her, she could well have stayed under lock and key for the duration.

How do you equate what Fay Taylour is reputed to have said with what "the mad mullahs" are precahing in our counytry these days then? Her doings look pretty tame in comparison with what we are now facing i.e alleged threats to behead British Muslim soldiers.

Edited by speedyguy

Come on...: it is clear that that Ms. Taylour's comments and behaviour was - and remains - utterly indefensible... :mad:

What Ms Taylor said and did in the 1930s was nothing compared to what is said and done by people today.

Have you noticed the trial going on about bomb-making...the recent arrests for alleged offence in Birmingham...what happened on the London buses a few years ago.

All Ms Taylor did was join a right-wing group and make a few silly comments.

I am certain that when New Cross held their 20th anniversary of British speedway meeting in 1948 she was the guest of honour. She was also, as I have mentioned, well received by people who knew her in pre-war days when the war was over nd she 'returned to circulation'.

Edited by speedyguy

What Ms Taylor said and did in the 1930s was nothing compared to what is said and done by people today.

Have you noticed the trial going on about bomb-making...the recent arrests for alleged offence in Birmingham...what happened on the London buses a few years ago.

All Ms Taylor did was join a right-wing group and make a few silly comments.

I am certain that when New Cross held their 20th anniversary of British speedway meeting in 1948 she was the guest of honour. She was also, as I have mentioned, well received by people who knew her in pre-war days when the war was over nd she 'returned to circulation'.

You make it sound like it was a group of rather mischievous boy scouts she was joining up with..: it was the Nazi Party, for goodness sake!

And these “few silly comments” included changing the lyrics of hymns, replacing God’s name with Hitler’s.. Remember at the very same time she was caught doing this, the object of her devotion and admiration was masterminding sending literally millions to their deaths in gas chambers..

Comparison with today isn’t at all relevant; but seeing as you mentioned it, the same sort of – what you appear to regard merely as oddball – far right groups spawn the likes of David Copeland, who bombed Brixton, Brick Lane and Soho murdering and maiming people in the name of the fascist, white-supremacist beliefs of the BNP..

I’m sure everyone on here, speedyguy, has great respect for you and of your knowledge of, devotion to and opinions about Speedway past and present (I know I do, despite our occasion ‘hand-bags’ over your view on the Plough Lane situation..!): so I really hope you don’t lose that respect by leaping to the defence of this person and her vile views and behaviour in years gone by..

And with respect, those in the crowd at New Cross in 1948 wouldn’t have had, like we do now, access to the hugely incriminating MI5 records on Taylour’s views; and I’d guess the majority on the night wouldn’t ever have heard of her not-much earlier internment. If they had, I doubt very much that any would’ve wanted her anywhere near the stadium, let alone to be lauding her as a heroine…

Yes,i can't for one minute imagine those in the crowds,who would be mainly people that fought against the Nazi's or suffered the Blitz would have been very sypathetic to her if they knew what we do now :blink:

Yes,i can't for one minute imagine those in the crowds,who would be mainly people that fought against the Nazi's or suffered the Blitz would have been very sypathetic to her if they knew what we do now :blink:

Just what atrocity did Fay Taylour commit other than to mistakenly join the BUF in the 1930s?

We are enjoying ourselves in hindsight demonising her.

Edited by speedyguy

Can just tell how it was the other way round.Marlene Dietrich returned to Germany to do a concert tour in about 1961.So,some time after the war.But obviously it was well known being far more famous than Fay,that she had become an American citizen and supported actively the war efforts against the Nazis.She was met with large numbers of protestors with placards saying she wasn't wanted here,traitor,go back to America etc.Plus one young girl who probably wasn't even born during the war and must have been put up to it by her cowardly parents came up to her and spat in her face.I don't think Marlene ever returned to Germany until after her death.Maybe we in Britain are more forgiving?I would tend to think that the people in the crowd at New Cross didn't know the full details,if any details

Can just tell how it was the other way round.Marlene Dietrich returned to Germany to do a concert tour in about 1961.So,some time after the war.But obviously it was well known being far more famous than Fay,that she had become an American citizen and supported actively the war efforts against the Nazis.She was met with large numbers of protestors with placards saying she wasn't wanted here,traitor,go back to America etc.Plus one young girl who probably wasn't even born during the war and must have been put up to it by her cowardly parents came up to her and spat in her face.I don't think Marlene ever returned to Germany until after her death.Maybe we in Britain are more forgiving?I would tend to think that the people in the crowd at New Cross didn't know the full details,if any details

I don't dispute that Fay Taylour had far-right leanings. She did some stupid things, including I believe being involved in the Cable Street riots between right and left-wing groups before the war.

However, I am certain that when she was interned in 1940 she had was not privy in anyway to the atrocities committed by the Nazis.

Remember, too, she was an Irish citizen - not a British citizen and the Irish were not fighting (nor did they) in World War Two. She was not exactly a traitor to Britain - but cretainly not supporting us in any way and undoubtedly 'biting a hand that fed her.'

I don't condone her actions in anyway. But to try and rate her alongside Hitler, Goering, Himmler & Co (they were indeed an evil clique) seems out of perspective to me.

I don't condone her actions in anyway. But to try and rate her alongside Hitler, Goering, Himmler & Co (they were indeed an evil clique) seems out of perspective to me.

But Speedyguy, they say you are judged by the company you keep. Why shouldn't you be judged by the politicians you support?

Fay Taylour's audience as a rider must have been composed of people whose houses had been bombed; people who had lost loved ones to the infernal regime that she supported. Had I been around at the time, and known what she had stood for, I certainly would not have gone near any track that she appeared at.

Just what atrocity did Fay Taylour commit other than to mistakenly join the BUF in the 1930s?

We are enjoying ourselves in hindsight demonising her.

"Mistakenly"? Can you mistakenly join such a scummy organization and not know it's intentions?If she was at Cable Street then she had a bloody good idea what people thought of Mosley and his thugs.I also find it unlikely that she knew nothing of Kristallnacht ,an event some years before 1940 or the Nurnburg Laws of 1935 - events that the BUF no doubt celebrated.

I think you'll find it's closer to 20

Any more Brian Belton speedway books lately?