British Speedway Forum

Most people wrote them off, and I'm ashamed to say I agreed. I didn't think we would make it past the race off. But we did and we dug in after a bad start and pulled ourselves back into it. And we beat the bookies and the fans favourites.

Well done boys, I am proud to be British and to support Team GB. :approve:

It really was only a matter of time!!

Some more British "loser" cliches for you all to use

We tried hard.

At leats we got to the final

We come from 10 points behind (forgetting to mention we actually started 0 behind so actually lost 10 points)

If we had points for effort we'd be World Champions.

All rubbish. We lost.

Proud to be British? Yes but don't give us all the extra bullrubbish!

Edited by SCB

It really was only a matter of time!!

Some more British "loser" cliches for you all to use

We tried hard.

At leats we got to the final

We come from 10 points behind (forgetting to mention we actually started 0 behind so actually lost 10 points)

If we had points for effort we'd be World Champions.

All rubbish.  We lost.

Proud to be British?  Yes but don't give us all the extra bullrubbish!

good unnnnnnnnn

I think this thread is a "misprint " surely it should be well done Denmark :D

What was well done about it ? If Crumpy hadn't been on a max before last race we would of won nothing

Guest PanthersChamp06

Dond really think GB deserved anything out of the meeting. The starts were Shocking and we were left chasing from the start. As Keith M said if it wasnt for Crump falling we would of came last.

We just have to face facts that we don't have the strength of riders available as the other nations do. No disrespect to the team amd Middlo who busted a gut and got us 3rd but we really don't have any riders that you could bet your house on to win a race or be consistent through an entire meeting. Maybe in a few years time but for now, don't think we can ever do more than aspire to the lower rostrom places.

It was a valiant effort anyway.

At the end of the day we did a lot more than everyone thought we would a week ago. Slate my post if you want, I couldn't give a s**t, our boys can hold their heads high.

I'd agree Paul - they rode out of their skins. But we just didn't have the gating or the total firepower of a Crump or Andersen tonight. I'm as proud of them as you are, but just seeing it realistically. Sometimes pride isn't quite enough to carry you all the way...

We just have to face facts that we don't have the strength of riders available as the other nations do.

Agree a bit with that statement, but apart from Rickardsson and maybe Bjerre I don't think the other teams strength in depth is much better than say Stead,Screen,Havelock and Norris etc

Agree a bit with that statement, but apart from Rickardsson and maybe Bjerre I don't think the other teams strength in depth is much better than say Stead,Screen,Havelock and Norris etc

Jesper.B was looking good before injury

Guest PanthersChamp06
Jesper.B was looking good before injury

He was on stunning form. He would of replaced Gjedde so would of done about the same round Reading.

What's worrying is that the Aussies look a spent force which means that unless the Brits can up their game, Denmark look set to dominate for the next few years. The Aussies have Adams, Sullivan and Wiltshire all at the wrong end of their careers (and Crump is also no kid anymore) and a big gap then to the next set of riders coming through.

I don't think all is lost for the Brits. Nicholls and Richardson are still the right side of 30! Bomber and Stead are only mid-twenties and are gradually improving year-by-year. I think that if we could just get a reasonable replacement for Loram we have hope. Whether it will be enough to compete with the Danes (or to a lesser extent the Swedes), only time will tell.

I'm not convinced about Poland. They always look a different team away from their own tracks.

I think that if we could just get a reasonable replacement for Loram we have hope.  Whether it will be enough to compete with the Danes (or to a lesser extent the Swedes), only time will tell.

Problem is, unlike league racing, you can't just go out and sign whoever you want, regardless of nationality.

Problem is, unlike league racing, you can't just go out and sign whoever you want, regardless of nationality.

Of course I appreciate that, but my thinking was that Mark has a couple of seasons left in him yet. I would hope that by the time he retires, Bomber and Stead have firmly established themselves on the international stage alongside Nicholls and Richardson and one of the youngsters (perhaps Bridger) are ready to make the next step up. It can be done. Look at Lindback a couple of years ago.