British Speedway Forum

Well done to Middlo and the boys. Started terribly but battled back to prove most people wrong with a rostrum place. If they had started they could have won it. The gating was terrible from them for the first 10 heats.

As for Louis, well the fans wanted him in and he disappointed. Perhaps Stead could have gated better? We will never know. But we need a load of Brits to come through and challenge the old guard. And soon.

Still, got to be happy with third! :approve:

I don't think there is anything wrong with congratulating them on a rostrum positions.

Biggest thing of note was Crump throwing away a Silver medal for his team just so he could go for a maximum - maybe it wasnt a team event after all :P

I agree with that Chivs, yet on another thread people seem to be saying that the Aussies would not have been in a position to finish on the rostrum if Crump hadn't scored so many points so he (Crump) can't be criticised for going for his maximum.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a team event and Jason might have been better concentrating on what was better for the team in that instance.

Well done to the Brits, great battling performance in the end just wish we could sometimes gate :blink:

I was part of a small band which went to all four meetings. We had a fantastic time.

I think the boys can be very proud to have got on that rostrum. They rode above themselves all week. I am sure the yanks, Poles and Aussies would have been happy to replace them.

Its easy to say some could have done better in the final, but the quality of those heats was awesome. As for all the ifs. buts, spins etc - well its 25 heats so that evens itself out.

The true winner for GB was Bomber in my view, and to some extent Stead who did so so well in RybniK.

I hope the boys are proud of themselves. They should be.

Edited by Brightonbob

we done well but were never good enough to win it :(

Most people wrote them off, and I'm ashamed to say I agreed. I didn't think we would make it past the race off. But we did and we dug in after a bad start and pulled ourselves back into it. And we beat the bookies and the fans favourites. 

Well done boys, I am proud to be British and to support Team GB. :approve:

What a load of claptrap, classic British mentality.

We lost, end of. :rolleyes:

It just goes to show how hard speedway is going to be for GB and the aussies in years to come.

Sullivan

adams

louis

toddy

loram,

these lads are all in the twilight of theyre careers really,australia could be a faded force by 2010.

Well done to Middlo and the boys. Started terribly but battled back to prove most people wrong with a rostrum place. If they had started they could have won it. The gating was terrible from them for the first 10 heats.

As for Louis, well the fans wanted him in and he disappointed. Perhaps Stead could have gated better? We will never know. But we need a load of Brits to come through and challenge the old guard. And soon.

Still, got to be happy with third! :approve:

Agree with your point about more Brits coming through but how can this happen? Im not having ago at Poole here but the team that will turn up at Belle Vue tommorrow will have one Brit in the team Tacey. You are already rumoured to be signing two more non Brits for next season so its going to be very hard for English lads to get a team place at some tracks. I think the time has come to cap the number of foreign riders in the Elite league. Its awful when young lads with real talent like Andrew Moore are packing the game in. :cry:

It really was only a matter of time!!

Some more British "loser" cliches for you all to use

We tried hard.

At leats we got to the final

We come from 10 points behind (forgetting to mention we actually started 0 behind so actually lost 10 points)

If we had points for effort we'd be World Champions.

All rubbish.  We lost.

Proud to be British?  Yes but don't give us all the extra bullrubbish!

What a load of claptrap, classic British mentality.

We lost, end of. :rolleyes:

Well said you guys! We had all this 'we did well' rubbish in the Football WC! We were easily the fourth best team on the night - we were only gifted the bronze medal by Crump's fall. If you look at it, the other three teams were all weakened by injuries to key riders (PK not fit, Jensen out, Sheilds out) whereas we just don't have the firepower - those WERE our best 5 riders!!!!!

I'm sure it's only the Brits who congratulate their sportsmen/women for being losers! :blink::rolleyes::lol:

Why all the negatives to people congratulating their own nation? I dont think many speedway supporters would disagree that at present we probably are only the 4th best nation in the world - debatably maybe equal 4th with the Poles when we both have a good day. If we had not made the final and Poland had, that would still have beena realistic standing of all the countries competing, as it happens we made it to the final with two good performances. Yes our gating was poor, yes Bomber and Steady need more experience and better equipment, which, God willing will happen as their careers develop. But come on guys, we came 3rd -fact. All the "ifs" about Crumpy going gung-ho for himself and handing us the rostrum are valid, but "ifs" count for bugger all. "If" Louis had gated as we have seen him for years, would he have added 5 or 6 more points to the total - he didnt so it doesn't affect the score. Individual events like the GP's and team events like the World cup take care of themselves my the actions of the competitors. What British Speedway needs to concern itself more with, is ensuring the young prospect like Stead, Harris, Bridger, Kennet ectc get as much assistance as possible so they can the competitors whose actions make us a better country in the world of Speedway. (Bloody glad to get that off my chest) Enjoy the rest of the season all!