British Speedway Forum
Gunners

Ellesmere Port Gunners

Hotshoe, as a student in Harlow I used to visit Rye House frequently and saw John Jackson in fine form there one sunny Sunday afternoon.

If memory does not play me false (and it was the late seventies), the stadium public address system failed. JJ was brought out as a tac sub (old style!) and Len Silver walked all round the track carrying a board with "Y/B J. Jackson chalked on it", pointing it out to the fans.

He got back to the pits gate, where the four riders were sitting next to each other on their machines ready to emerge, stuck the board in front of the Rye pair and pointed out the change to them too! Happy days.

Jacko actually learnt to ride doing donuts on moped on a piece of concrete on his father Bill's flower nursery ,the rubber marks could be seen for many years after,

the customers would marvel at the control that he showed at a very young age .

One thing that sticks in my mind was Greame Stapleton getting knocked out by the pit marshall (ex pro wrestler i think)

I went once in '85 and my overriding memory (the Dons got stuffed) is of the pub across the road - 'The Gunners' with its racejackets, programmes and pictures. Went back a few years later and nearly everything had gone.

Some pictures of Jacko and Co.

Thanks for the great pics.

I like the one with Jacko at the back - Bet he didn't stay at the back for long :D

Great pictures I was in JJ pit crew for almost all his career at the Gunners and it was great to see him with his foot off the footrest as he always rode turn 2.A magician on a bike with the ability to go that much faster than many of his fellow riders just his gatting let him down some times. I had many nights of watching IMO one of the most naturaly gifted riders I have ever seen,after a race he hardly ever looked out of breath it was just so easy for him.I have said before that he rode for over 15YRS and never broke a bone and missed a hand full of matches due to injury if that. He always rode within himself and often said a safe 10 points is better than a dodgy 12 points' a fact sadly borne out by one of his greatest adversaries Joey Owen .

Great club that enjoyed a good spell in the sport from 1972-1982, then the last season in 1985.

I feel the Council were very short sighted in turning down Tony Moles 2001 application to reopen Ellesmere Port at their old Thornton Road home.

With Mr Mole at the helm I feel the Gunners could of held their own at PL level and been viable.

With the Stadium still being in place, the possibility of speedway returning remains.

Has their been any changes at Council level since 2001?

What sort of interest is their in speedway in the area?

An Ellesmere Port speedway website has recently been created so their is some interest in it and they have stated they are looking into whether speedway could run in the area again!

It would great to see Ellesmere Port Gunners speedway team back in the Leagues. Good luck!

Great club that enjoyed a good spell in the sport from 1972-1982, then the last season in 1985.

I feel the Council were very short sighted in turning down Tony Moles 2001 application to reopen Ellesmere Port at their old Thornton Road home.

With Mr Mole at the helm I feel the Gunners could of held their own at PL level and been viable.

With the Stadium still being in place, the possibility of speedway returning remains.

Has their been any changes at Council level since 2001?

What sort of interest is their in speedway in the area?

An Ellesmere Port speedway website has recently been created so their is some interest in it and they have stated they are looking into whether speedway could run in the area again!

It would great to see Ellesmere Port Gunners speedway team back in the Leagues. Good luck!

Do you know the web site address for the Gunners by any chance please!!!!!

I don't know the address for the Ellemere Port speedway website but i can tell you how to get to it!

I rather stumbled across it one day while on the Cradleyspeedway.co.uk website when looking through the 'links' section.

Just go to the Cradley speedway website, go into links. There you will find Ellesmere Port speedway which if you click onto will take you onto their website!

Seems crazy that when the stadium is still there, the atitude of some probably misinformed Councillors has prevented the Gunners returning to speedway!

But stranger things happen, so who knows in the future?

I don't know the address for the Ellemere Port speedway website but i can tell you how to get to it!

I rather stumbled across it one day while on the Cradleyspeedway.co.uk website when looking through the 'links' section.

Just go to the Cradley speedway website, go into links. There you will find Ellesmere Port speedway which if you click onto will take you onto their website!

Seems crazy that when the stadium is still there, the atitude of some probably misinformed Councillors has prevented the Gunners returning to speedway!

But stranger things happen, so who knows in the future?

Thanks for the link still live in hope that the sport will return to the Port as I was by the stadium this week your right the track is still there.Seems a shame as when I speak many of the locals they seem up for it and say there is very little else in the area.At least I can dream while looking at the web site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)