British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ezekiel

Mark Loram

Good lad now we are either side of your postings :P You are surrounded :approve:

Mark Loram, by his own admission, is close to the form he showed in 2000 when he became world champion. If that is true - and TBH it's quite hard to judge, because you can't really compare league form to GP form, since the GPs are much more competitive - then I see no reason why he should be overlooked for an nominated spot next year.

However, BSI, FIM, Neil Middleditch, or whoever it is that ultimately influences these things, definitely seem to be favouring youth over experience. Just look at what happened after the British Final. I know Mark wasn't in that meeting, but after Nicholls and Screen declined their qualification spots, several of the next in line, such as Smudger, were ignored in favour of Richardson and Kennett. This seems to me like a desperate attempt to force younger riders on to the world stage, when they may not necessarily be good enough.

I'm sad to say it, but if Mark wants to get back into the GPs, he will probably have to qualify the hard way.

I'm sad to say it, but if Mark wants to get back into the GPs, he will probably have to qualify the hard way.

And this would have been all well and good if he had been allowed to! but the muppets that run our sport decided to rule him out if you recall :angry:

Actually think this may be another reason why he may get the nod over others! :wink:

Mark is the obvious choice to give a wild card too. There should be absolutly no way that Richardson is let in from this years performances. Then there is people saying that it should be given to the youth of Britain(obviously, BSI a'int going to go with just one Brit!!) however are there any young Brits that are really ready for it? I don't think so. Harris has showed glimpses but i think another year and he may be ready, even he himself agrees as is said in this weeks speedway star. Steady, i think needs better equipment as was slightly off the pace at Cardiff which pains me to say as he is one my favourite riders. Mark has been riding superbly recently and his move to Ipswich seems to have rejuvenated him and i believe that if the likes of Holta, Jagus, Protasiewich, Richardson and Iversen can compete at the SGPs then there is absolutly no reason why Mark couldn't. The only thing against him is that he is not getting any younger, but why should that stand in front of him if he is capable of competeing which i am 100% sure he is. The best person to know is Mark himself and he believes that he is, I am positive he would not be saying that if he did not truly belive it. So come on BSI, give Mark one of the wild card slots as you will be adding the most entertaining rider of our time back into the series where he belongs :D

Sure, let's get Loram in the G.P.'s.

And while we're at it let's name next year's world cup team :

1. Dave Jessup

2. Peter Collins

3. Gordon Kennett

4. Chris Morton

5. Ted Hubbard (just to please Shazzy).

Come on Guys, with due respect to Marky boy, he's had his moment in the spotlight and whilst i agree that world class british riders are thin on the ground, we need riders who are on the way up - not down.

Bomber may be a bit rough around the edges but with a bit of decent sponsorship and guidance ( a la Havvy with Nicholls ), he can do the businass.

I would hardly say Loram is on the way down. He is still very capable of competing at the top level as the World Cups have showed. Also his British League average has hardly droped by much since his best years, he is still managing to average 9 points. Hardly on the way down, now, is he?

I would hardly say Loram is on the way down. He is still very capable of competing at the top level as the World Cups have showed. Also his British League average has hardly droped by much since his best years, he is still managing to average 9 points. Hardly on the way down, now, is he?

Before i go any further with this, i'm not goingto argue with anyone about this. I beleive a forum is created to discuss opinions and that is all i am giving - my opinion.

According to the info i have just looked up, Mark's average in 2000 for Poole was 10.10. According to Steve Turners stats on this site, his average for all matches so far this year is 8.96.

Mark also hold's the distinction of becoming world champion without actually winning a g.p. - not his fault i know, but if that was the case in 2000, he's hardly likely to better it next year is he ?.

Mark seems a nice guy and has reached the top but at 36 next year, my opinion is that someone younger should be given a chance.

Sure, let's get Loram in the G.P.'s.

And while we're at it let's name next year's world cup team :

1. Dave Jessup

2. Peter Collins

3. Gordon Kennett

4. Chris Morton

5. Ted Hubbard (just to please Shazzy).

wow :o what a great line up roll on next year :approve:

Before i go any further with this, i'm not goingto argue with anyone about this. I beleive a forum is created to discuss opinions and that is all i am giving - my opinion.

Sorry if it came out that way, it was not ment to be arguementative. I was only replying. I still believe Mark could do a better job than the likes off Jagus Pepe etc...

GSC1 I agree let Mark back in, let's lift the roof off of the Millenium stadium :approve: Like I say when he was there before the crowd went wild with airhorns, whistles etc., everytime he was shown on the tv., or when his name was mentioned.

The "youngsters" will have their time when the rest have all retired and joined the VSRA WSRA :P:approve:

According to the info i have just looked up, Mark's average in 2000 for Poole was 10.10. According to Steve Turners stats on this site, his average for all matches so far this year is 8.96.

Mark also hold's the distinction of becoming world champion without actually winning a g.p. - not his fault i know, but if that was the case in 2000, he's hardly likely to better it next year is he ?.

Mark seems a nice guy and has reached the top but at 36 next year, my opinion is that someone younger should be given a chance.

Personally, I'm not sure about the age argument. After all, riders like Hancock can still compete with the very best, who if I've got my stats right for once, is older than Loram. Adams is around Loram's age, as is Gollob. Yet they're still all making finals and even winning GP's.