British Speedway Forum
SwineTown

Speedway In Milton Keynes

I would be interested in anyone who was involved in Speedway or dogs at MK to get in touch - esp those with some or any knowledge of how it all came to an end.

Send me a message or post here - or email me on speed_1 @ hotmail.co.uk

(take out the spaces!)

Many thanks

ST

I would be interested in anyone who was involved in Speedway or dogs at MK to get in touch - esp those with some or any knowledge of how it all came to an end.

Send me a message or post here - or email me on speed_1 @ hotmail.co.uk

(take out the spaces!)

Many thanks

ST

Do you mean the end of speedway at Groveway stadium (greyhound track), or the end of Elfield park (standalone speedway) ?.

I announced at the Groveway in the mid eighties. Without breaching too much confidentiality the crowds simply weren't good enough to keep it going.

The move to Elfield Park didn't improve matters and problems with the design of the place, principally the drainage made the situation far worse and eventually caused problems with the authorities.

Like so many failed tracks they simply weren't making enough money despite the huge efforts of promoters like Ted Jarvis and Terry Cheney and their many helpers.

Still praying for the Knights to return at some point.

I'm sure it would be feasible now, as the population is still increasing at an alarming rate.

Not sure where it could be held now though (except where the new dog track is to be built)?

Thanks for the replies people.

It ws Elfield in particular and the way in which that folded.

Thanks for the Speedway Plus link - always my favourite speedway site but forgot to check it out for this one!

Always makes me sad reading these stories.

As a footnote we had a rather unusual round of the four team tournament at Rye House in 1992 with both Milton Keynes and Mildenhall appearing, despite the news that both were sadly about to close. Indeed I don't think their legs were staged but it is a long time ago now and my memory is flawed.

There was a real sense of speedway contracting at the time, and a fear that it was not quite accidental. Rye House followed suit in 1993 and not long after there was the amalgamated league.

"Culling" was strongly suspected to allow the creation of one league of theoretically viable teams. I am sure that the former NL sides involved soon found out the reality.

As far as I understand Terry Cheney had the last laugh as he still owns the rights to any speedway promotion in Milton Keynes until 2017.

As far as I understand Terry Cheney had the last laugh as he still owns the rights to any speedway promotion in Milton Keynes until 2017.

I hope Terry's right in what he said in his article "Will speedway ever return to Milton Keynes? Yes, it is inevitable!"

Like Wizard, I too am still hoping that the Milton Keynes Knights will return!

Has anyone got Mr Cheney's number..... lol

Still praying for the Knights to return at some point.

I'm sure it would be feasible now, as the population is still increasing at an alarming rate.

Not sure where it could be held now though (except where the new dog track is to be built)?

The new dog track was supposed to be built - well have a guess... on the old Elfield park site lol

I doubt it will ever happen if Stadia UK have anything to do with it.

Its a shame Reading have been treated in exactly the same way - and Swindon was even threatened and may still be subject to their curse!!!!

It would be nice to have some sort of Scunny type facility in this area though - A lot of people would benefit for sure.

The Hockey stadium would be ideal - but unfortunately its likely to be teared down to be replaced by Offices for the Rail companies. :(

Seems a bit of a waste to me - especially as its original purpose was changed to accomodate the Football.

Edited by snapper-racing.co.uk

The new dog track was supposed to be built - well have a guess... on the old Elfield park site lol

I doubt it will ever happen if Stadia UK have anything to do with it.

Its a shame Reading have been treated in exactly the same way - and Swindon was even threatened and may still be subject to their curse!!!!

It would be nice to have some sort of Scunny type facility in this area though - A lot of people would benefit for sure.

The Hockey stadium would be ideal - but unfortunately its likely to be teared down to be replaced by Offices for the Rail companies. :(

Seems a bit of a waste to me - especially as its original purpose was changed to accomodate the Football.

I think even the new dog track plans for Elfield Park have moved on... see the following link http://www.thenationalbowl.net/pdfs/leaflet.pdf , that was from 2006 though and there doesn't look to be much progress to date... and no mention of a combined dog track / speedway venue.. like the old days :(

Totally agree ref the Scunny type facility... by that I guess you mean the training days on the mini track... for a developing town (new city) that Milton Keynes is, it's a shame we've been without speedway for so long.... especailly when it started in 1978 when the developments in MK were in their infancy... MK has the potential for a cracking set up like Scunthorpe...!

I announced at the Groveway in the mid eighties. Without breaching too much confidentiality the crowds simply weren't good enough to keep it going.

The move to Elfield Park didn't improve matters and problems with the design of the place, principally the drainage made the situation far worse and eventually caused problems with the authorities.

Like so many failed tracks they simply weren't making enough money despite the huge efforts of promoters like Ted Jarvis and Terry Cheney and their many helpers.

I was at Mk most weeks in the late 80's with Mike Bennett and to be honest crowds were better than a lot of tracks.

The Groveway ended because the stadium owners wanted them out.

Elfield Park - great track was always getting vandalised. Team Man is the one you want for info.