British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Reviresco

Train To 1976 World Final

Apologies if this subject has already been the subject of a thread (if it has please tell me off nicely), but was anybody on the Warners Travel train to the 1976 World Final in Poland and if so, do they have any stories to tell.

I think I remember joining it in London and, because of demand, they took away the buffet car and added another carriage. I remember sharing a carriage with 5 other people and 'sleeping' on what seemed like luggage racks. Being woken up at the Polish border with a torch and gun in my face being asked for my passport.

We went through the old East Germany and East & West Berlin. Some Newport fans, I think, may have even been shot at when they put their heads out of a window when we were in a station somewhere. We couldn't find anywhere to spend our zlote, so threw it out of the window on the way back, only for the locals to throw it back as the currency at the time was jeans.

Every row in the stadium was flanked by armed soldiers. Peter Collins won, Malcolm Simmons 2nd with Phil Crump 3rd, local favourite Plech & Mauger 4th, John Louis 6th.

Think we may have been given provisions which didn't last very long and absolutely loved it when we got off in W Berlin and had a beer and a meal in a pub there.

Those were indeed amazing days.

I knew DANNY LENO..(real name)..who was the main guy at Warner Sports.

Worked in opposition with him, but we became great mates, and later shared the TOR LINE ship to Gotheburg.He also worked with a pal..of both of us..called Mike Kay who ran Grey Green coaches. he was an amazing individual and the 3 of us had nights of hilarity and copious amounts of falling down liquid. we wre all very early 30's and a bit crazy.

Danny was a real "character" and often forgot to arrange the basics..like Bus transfers...however superb company who knew how to enjoy himself.

Tee Mill were also in operation, but sadly never enjoyed anything but very very bad realtions with them. Could tell you some stories, but Reg Thomas (one half of teh team) passed on a few months back, and it would not be ethical to do so.

Supporters travelled in their thousands, and never a hint of trouble between different clubs.

Lovely people.

I think there was a thread on it a while back and TMC was on it!

I went with Tee-Mill tours and was also given 'provisions'. We were most fed up with gerkins and stale bread rolls by the end of the trip.

That was certainly a never to be forgotten trip,I can remember vividly all the happenings that you mention .Add to those the queues for the toilet ,when one had to do one's dutyand have a wash from the tiny trickle of water that came out of the tap and be out in a couple of minutes or risk the next person battering the door down in sheer desperation.Do you remember the "hotel" they took us to for a meal? Even Oliver Twist would have turned his nose up at the dish served to us,at the time I likened it to eating a rubber ball in a bowl of glue. As you say the frequent security checks ,when the Red Goons virtually took the carriage apart were unbelievable.Arriving at the stadium to find that our seats had been sold three times over .That massive crowd created a fantastic atmosphere and when PC and Simmo did the business for us ,we all stood 10 feet high. Ah! the good old one off World Final.

Yes, I remember the 'hotel' and how scared we felt standing outside the building. I also think I remember somebody indicating that it was horse meat that we'd been served up........