British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longlivefrankie

Tony Millard!

Sadly commentators nowadays insist on sitting on the fence - usually via the medium of blathering equal praise about every competitor, no matter how inept their performance - rather than saying anything remotely political or even subjective. Time that boring neutrality changed, which is why I still favour anyone from the Dick Barrie school of speedway commentary and interviewing, those without any fear of legal action or retribution! That truly would add spice. :approve:

Anyone capable of calling a spade a spade and telling the truth as we all know it, these days? :unsure:

Edited by AndyM

Anyone knows how Millard looks like? Have heard him so many times now but has never seen him..

Dave Lanning??? No and NO.. Bring in Clive Fisher...

I do hope that is a joke!

Clive Fisher is the Announcer at Poole and he is terrible.

Never pronounces a rider's name correctly either.

He would be far, far, worse than Millard, believe me.

mmmm .... for those advocating "Fanzone" ... remember the first (and last!) time Sky did that with speedway ... a pissed up Havvy and Sean Wilson in a box with Jordan or some other so-called celeb .... funny in a painfully embarrassing sort of way ... the football fanzone is dire we dont need to repeat it in speedway and dumb the sport down even further! .... Ill stick with Millard and Pearson despite their lack of perfection and you know what if you dont like them turn the sound off ... if you know anything about speedway you will know who the riders are and whos in front so who needs a commentator :D

I do hope that is a joke!

Clive Fisher is the Announcer at Poole and he is terrible.

Never pronounces a rider's name correctly either.

He would be far, far, worse than Millard, believe me.

Joke?? Not at all. Then Clive was the commentry on Screen Sport he was just fabolus.

No bad pronouncing then!

Cheers

Sadly commentators nowadays insist on sitting on the fence - usually via the medium of blathering equal praise about every competitor, no matter how inept their performance - rather than saying anything remotely political or even subjective.  Time that boring neutrality changed, which is why I still favour anyone from the Dick Barrie school of speedway commentary and interviewing, those without any fear of legal action or retribution!  That truly would add spice.  :approve:

Anyone capable of calling a spade a spade and telling the truth as we all know it, these days?  :unsure:

Spot on IMO. Commentators nowdays are boring and bland.

We need more like the late James Hunt who said how it was and to hell who he upset!!

I have always refrained from criticising Mr Millard's commentary, as I wouldn't want Sky to take it as an affront and turn their back on speedway, but I really, really, really can't take Millard anymore.

Commentators are supposed to be paid to commentate on what they see, not what they think they see, or would like to see happening. Tony Millard, I'm afraid appears to do both and never says what he is actually seeing. His inability to work out which exclusion light is on and why, was the final, final straw.

He ruins a sport I enjoy and pay to watch, makes it unenjoyable and it shouldn't be allowed to happen any further. I for one am going to e-mail Sky and complain.

The guys at Eurosport do, I think, work out of a studio in London and can be forgiven for not seeing off the screen incidents, substitutions, etc. Millard is probably paid a tidy sum to be taken to stadia, put up in hotels and run up expenses.

I believe he covers Brighton FC for BBC. Please, please, please Mr Millard stay there and do not attend another speedway meeting unless as a paying customer. And if you do, please do not stand or sit near me.

An alternative? What about Graham Stuart the ex Charlton footballer who seemed to know his stuff, or Stevie Wonder as even he would have a better chance of getting things right.

I have always refrained from criticising Mr Millard's commentary, as I wouldn't want Sky to take it as an affront and turn their back on speedway, but I really, really, really can't take Millard anymore.

Commentators are supposed to be paid to commentate on what they see, not what they think they see, or would like to see happening.  Tony Millard, I'm afraid appears to do both and never says what he is actually seeing.  His inability to work out which exclusion light is on and why, was the final, final straw.

He ruins a sport I enjoy and pay to watch, makes it unenjoyable and it shouldn't be allowed to happen any further.  I for one am going to e-mail Sky and complain.

The guys at Eurosport do, I think, work out of a studio in London and can be forgiven for not seeing off the screen incidents, substitutions, etc.  Millard is probably paid a tidy sum to be taken to stadia, put up in hotels and run up expenses.

I believe he covers Brighton FC for BBC.  Please, please, please Mr Millard stay there and do not attend another speedway meeting unless as a paying customer.  And if you do, please do not stand or sit near me.

An alternative?  What about Graham Stuart the ex Charlton footballer who seemed to know his stuff, or Stevie Wonder as even he would have a better chance of getting things right.

Are we to understand, Macca, that you are a tad displeased with Mr Millard's efforts to entertain :shock::D

Affirmative Ron.

I nearly asked to be wrapped up and sent back to the padded cell before I did myself some very nasty damage :lol:

What's he like to look at?  :blink:

Anyone knows how Millard looks like? Have heard him so many times now but has never seen him..

Just for you 2, the only pic I could find, not a very good 1 but you get the general idea! He's the 1 on the right HERE

Just for you 2, the only pic I could find, not a very good 1 but you get the general idea! He's the 1 on the right HERE

Ghastly.

He looks as bad/pi$$ed (delete as appropriate) as he sounds!!

I thought I saw him at Brandon last night but there's a bit of folklore that says we all have a double somewhere.

BUT... Just hold on a minute, I just turned on Sky Sports Saturday and there he is reporting on Bournemouth v Oldham. He only had a minute and already a classic Millard: "he dived to the ref" - Your guess is as good as mine but I suppose he meant left!

My head will be above the parapet for all to take a shot at over next Saturday and Sunday when I will be commentating on the final event of the season at the Worlds Oldest Motor Sport Course (est 1905) organised by the Worlds Oldest Motor Sport Club (est 1901). If I cannot do better than Millard I will eat my hat. See page 21 this weeks Motorsport News.

Agree with everyone. Millard is totally useless and despite at least 5 years in the game has not learnt a thing. Boot this pillock off , waste of time. I can put up with Pearson, he is passionate about the sport and knows his stuff. Gets a bit wild though!

Get out Millard you imbecile!

Stop sitting on the fence, Pinstripe. Let's know what you really think of him. :)

The guys at Eurosport do, I think, work out of a studio in London and can be forgiven for not seeing off the screen incidents, substitutions, etc.  Millard is probably paid a tidy sum to be taken to stadia, put up in hotels and run up expenses.

Its a good job your not a commentator macca56 as that would be a faux pau. The opposite is true. Eurosport actually send their people to the locations. Most Sky sport transmissions are from a studio in London. Steve Johnstone passed me in his van on the M1 last year about 4pm on a Saturday afternoon. He did the commentary that night from a GP and it was not Cardiff. ;)

Edited by newxranger

Sorry, but I know people who work at Eurosport and the football commentary is definitely not on-site.

The Sky Sports transmissions may be from a London studio, but their commentators are on-site, certainly in Suzi Perry's day anyway and would doubt it has changed.