British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

25 Years Since Wembley '81

My god - 25 years ago???  Stuff like that makes me feel old.....  :D

We had a chaotic build up to it - .....  Not to mention Dave Jessup and his jubilee clip, .....!!!

Yes,

I was a Reading Racers fan at that time and was of course willing DJ on. I'm convinced he would have been world champion if his carburettor had not fallen off!

Does anyone remember just how far ahead of the other three he was. It was unbelievable!!

Poor DJ.

There's been many riders over the years who didn't win it, but Dave Jessup had the talent and ability to REALLY do it.

Can you imagine how he felt???

Regards,

http://www.sliderphil.netfirms.com

Edited by sliderphil

i think 72 was better to...mauger pocning about at the start of the run off with persson , or have i imagined that? ive been to all the cardiff gp's and am yet to experience anything that comes close to the wembley finals i was priveliged to see 72, 75, 78 & 81 the sheer excitement factor made hte hairs on the back of your neck satnd up. i do also think i knew i was in the presence of greats like briggs, mauger, olsen etc not so sure these days perhaps tv has taken the edge of it for me at that level. :blink:

The 81 final was one of the best for two reasons.

It was a great meeting,and me and my mate managed to persuade two girls to go with us :o It cost us a bloody fortune , but they were worth it :D;) Also well ripped of at B and B......... :angry:

Edited by hullangel