British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie B

What Are Sky TV Playing At?

Sky are providing Speedway with more exposure than ever, those of you who are constantly whining about their coverage should cast your minds back 5 years.

Speedway has no divine right to TV coverage and the fact Sky choose to put it on Extra is their right, we are a minority sport and it's only rarely that Sky treat it as so.

Aaaaaaaahhhh I love the smell of common sense ;-)

What i don,t understand is why you cannot put a sky dish in your loft as you can have a tv aerial in there and i assume as a bit of a technophobe that they both receive radio waves.Plus if the dish had to be bigger because of the roof obscuring the signal it wouldn't matter because you wouldn't see it.Of course if you have a train set,scalextric or a bedroom in there you would be out of luck.

What i don,t understand is why you cannot put a sky dish in your loft as you can have a tv aerial in there and i assume as a bit of a technophobe that they both receive radio waves.Plus if the dish had to be bigger because of the roof obscuring the signal it wouldn't matter because you wouldn't see it.Of course if you have a train set,scalextric or a bedroom in there you would be out of luck.

Er.... a Sky dish has to have line of sight, so unless you've an open air loft....... :D

But surely if the radio waves can get through to a tv aerial they can get to a dish,afterall the dish is designed to concentrate the signal onto a certain point.So if you had a bigger dish it should work,well maybe.My own opinion is sky want dishes on the outside so people can see how popular it is,and hopefully jump on the bandwagon.Luckily for us in gridlock central i.e Oxford lots of pubs are willing to put the speedway on for GP,s and league matches.Also we have Chris Brown,s GP barbecues which seem to be very popular and with a big screen as well.

So we not only have a Silver Machine but a Silver Screen as well!

It's not a good idea to knock Sky too much. I've just gotten back into the sport purely because I can see it regularly on Sky Sports. I am actually one of those affected by the decision to put this week's GP on xtra. I will miss it.

However, since my local track died a few years ago, I'd be missing a hell of a lot more without the coverage given on SS1,2 and 3.

Does anybody really want to go back to the days of a few mins coverage of Speedway a year?

Whilst I have sympathy with those people who CAN'T have SKY for the reasons mentioned - but those who chose cable over SKY (probably becasue it was slightly cheaper :P ) really can't complain if they then miss some meetings. We were in this position a couple of years ago, but decided to go with SKY as there package suited the things we wanted better (mostly speedway and American Football).

With regards to SKY not helping the local tracks - I can only speak for the people I know but over the last two or three years htere have been so many additions to the people we stand with that if you don't get there early you have to find another 'spot'. Last Monday there were 4 adults and one child of 10 stood by us - work colleagues of my other half mostly - whose sole reason for being there was because they saw the sport on TV. One of these guys used to take the mickey out of my other half saying that he couldn't believe he still went to the speedway as this other guy used to go in the 70's, until he 'outgrew' the sport (turning, like most, to football :roll: ). However, after seeing the speedway on SKY at the beginning of last year, his daughter nagged him to take her to Wolves - and now they're well and truly hooked!!! :D

Just an example of the 'power' of TV - like it or not, the most effective way of getting people back to the sport is for it to have as much exposure as possible. After all, the guy I described above has worked with my hubby for about ten years and resisted every effort my hubby made to persuade him to try it again - until he saw the sport again for himself - ON SKY!!!!!!!! :approve:

I'm a bit peed off as I do not have Sky Sports Extra. Suppose I'll just have to go to the hotel along the road which shows all the GPs and EL matches ;)

Cable users should be able to watch the GP at 11pm on Sky Sports 2 that means you can drown your sorrows in the pub first, or support your local track if they have a match.

Actually, it means I have to studiously avoid finding out the result before I settle down to watch the repeat.

Fortunately, that's not much of a problem with Speedway. :)

Bryce, then just make sure you avoid the forum tomorrow night...you'd have more chance of finding dirt on the Poole track than not finding out the result... :P

Thanks for that tip Rabbit. Actually, I kinda guessed that I might need to avoid this place tomorrow night. :D

Sky are providing Speedway with more exposure than ever, those of you who are constantly whining about their coverage should cast your minds back 5 years.

Speedway has no divine right to TV coverage and the fact Sky choose to put it on Extra is their right, we are a minority sport and it's only rarely that Sky treat it as so.

How very true. I remember posting off letter after letter during the late eighties and early nineties asking the TV channels to show more speedway and 9 times outa 10 got a PFO letter back.

Anyone who remembers the dark days of ZERO speedway coverage will always think twice before shooting their mouth off that a match is not shown on the proper channel of their liking.

If SKY think people don't appreciate them covering the sport then they'll soon bugger off and cover something else like ...... erm.... domino's. Sometimes it best just to grin and bare these things rather than risk looking like ungrateful gits with short memories.

LT.