British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Getting From Gdansk To Bydgoszcz

Can someone give me detailed instructions how to get from Gdansk Airport to Bydgoszcz by train and back again please. What we need to ask for and look out for etc.

From Gdansk Airport I would advise getting a taxi to Gdansk Glowny (pronounced Gwoovny), which is the main train station. I think it only costs about a fiver, which is very reasonable if it's a local firm (i.e. not a dodgey guy sitting in a car waiting to fleece you). An airport bus exists, but I never got it when I was there.

When you get to Gdansk Glowny, you will see the KFC building opposite the platforms, and also McDonalds which is in the terminal building itself. Go inside the terminal building, I think tickets are signposted as 'Bilet' (our Polish friends will be able to give you the exact wording). Go to any one of the PKP glass windows, just the same as ticket offices over where. Ask for a return ticket (powrotny - pronounced povrotny, I think !), it should cost you about 30-35 Zl.

In the main concourse is also where the departures and arrivals board is. It shows the time of departure, where the train's final destination is, and what platform it arrives at. (It may not necessarily show the train stops at Bydgoszcz, so do not be alarmed. It is very important you have the exact departure time so you can match it up on the board ! E.g. your train could be for Katowice.) You may need to come out of the terminal building and go down the stairs just outside KFC to get to some of the platforms.

Pretty much all the trains heading south of Gdansk stop at Bydgoszcz, the main station where you get off is Bydgoszcz Glowna. Check the timetables here at: http://rozklad.pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en? the site is in English, and is very useful. On the train itself you can sit anywhere apart from first class. The second class coaches are normally green, and the firsts are red. You can tell by the numbers on the carriage doors.

When you get to Bydgoszcz, don't get a taxi from the station, as you can walk it in less than 20 minutes. Either follow the stream of fans, or ask "Gdzeh jest, stadion zuzelowy" (In numpty terms - Gdyeh yest stadion joozlovay).

Hope this helps ! Others will be able to fill in anything I missed.

When you get to Bydgoszcz, don't get a taxi from the station, as you can walk it in less than 20 minutes.

It depends which hotel Rob B is going to. If he is going to the Brda, then he will definately not need a taxi but if he is going elsewhere then walking with a wheeled case might be a problem. Its cobbled streets right to the main street of Bydgoszcz.

When you get to Gdansk Glowny, you will see the KFC building opposite the platforms, and also McDonalds which is in the terminal building itself. Go inside the terminal building, I think tickets are signposted as 'Bilet' (our Polish friends will be able to give you the exact wording). Go to any one of the PKP glass windows, just the same as ticket offices over where. Ask for a return ticket (powrotny - pronounced povrotny, I think !), it should cost you about 30-35 Zl.

In the

Hope this helps ! Others will be able to fill in anything I missed.

Rob...probably best to write this down as it might be lost in your Manchester accent :lol:

Prosze bilet powrotny do Bydgoszcz - pierwsa klase.

Thats for one, first class, (dont travel any other way in Poland, its cheap too ) return ticket...

The ticket office will be signposted "kasa biletowa"

The depatures board is "odjazdy"...and platform is "Peron"

It's a piece of cake...all the best.

It depends which hotel Rob B is going to. If he is going to the Brda, then he will definately not need a taxi but if he is going elsewhere then walking with a wheeled case might be a problem. Its cobbled streets right to the main street of Bydgoszcz.

We are staying at Hotel Ratuszowy on Dluga, is that walking distance from the station?

Also how do we get to the track, is there a tram/bus or do we have to get a taxi?

Edited by Rob B

We are staying at Hotel Ratuszowy on Dluga, is that walking distance from the station?

Also how do we get to the track, is there a tram/bus or do we have to get a taxi?

Don't know where that hotel is, Rob B? I certainly will be getting a taxi back from the stadium. Must get to the hotel bar before the Fairies :P

I would get a taxi from anywhere around the town square.

Hotel Ratuszowy is fine. We stayed there the first 2 years, but its on the other side of the square from the direction of the track. You could walk it no problem, but i wouldnt bother. You'll probably have to walk back anyway.. In that case, just follow the crowds

The hotel is about 2 minutes from the main square...ideal for the various pubs and stuff.

Don't know where that hotel is, Rob B? I certainly will be getting a taxi back from the stadium. Must get to the hotel bar before the Fairies :P

ahh... if youre back before us, that means u can buy me a lemonade ready for my return :P

Last year we took the airport bus from Gdansk airport to Gdansk Glowny and although we did not pay it took ages. We took a taxi back - much better and quite cheap.

The person on the ticket desk told us the platform and next train for Bydgozscz but I suppose it is just your luck if they can speak English. The train was packed as it was the end of their holidays and we had to sit in the corridor (it is 160 km) so coming back we paid for first class - 45 Zl (about £7.50) - well worth it if it is busy. There are a few ticket booths on the station but as Gorgrel says - go into the main terminal building.

Just wished we had spent a few hours in Gdansk as I understand it is a lovely city.

Easy walking to the stadium but there are buses and taxis of course - our hotel gave us a map with bus/tram numbers.

ahh... if youre back before us, that means u can buy me a lemonade ready for my return  :P

Then, that'll be 2 lemonades you owe me :P