British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Custom House Kid

Len Morris / Ron Butcher ?

Both these riders were in the West Ham Junior League side when 2 heat matches were run as part of the second half events in the past. I do not know if full records exist of those matches but the Speedway Researcher Website includes details of some matches from those seasons.

Both these riders were in the West Ham Junior League side when 2 heat matches were run as part of the second half events in the past. I do not know if full records exist of those matches but the Speedway Researcher Website includes details of some matches from those seasons.

Probably seasons either 1949 or 1953.

Quite right Speedyguy.

It was 1953. The Hammers junior team was selecteed from Ron Butcher, Jim Chalkley, Harry Eyre, Frank Grant, Arthur Harrison and Len Morris.

In an early season match Ron Butcher and Arthur Harrison both decked their bikes when Dons Ken Holmes crashed. Ron broke bones in his foot and missed a chunk of the season.

Ron was due to ride at the Firs later in the season in a Junior Championship event but was a non-starter, his replacement was Harrison who scored 5 points.

Of these 6 riders Jim Chalkley went on to ride for Rye House in the S A L and I think Harry Eyre lost his life in a track crash.

Quite right Speedyguy.

It was 1953. The Hammers junior team was selecteed from Ron Butcher, Jim Chalkley, Harry Eyre, Frank Grant, Arthur Harrison and Len Morris.

In an early season match Ron Butcher and Arthur Harrison both decked their bikes when Dons Ken Holmes crashed. Ron broke bones in his foot and missed a chunk of the season.

Ron was due to ride at the Firs later in the season in a Junior Championship event but was a non-starter, his replacement was Harrison who scored 5 points.

Of these 6 riders Jim Chalkley went on to ride for Rye House in the S A L and I think Harry Eyre lost his life in a track crash.

Thanks yes you are correct ! Having looked at the programmes for 1953, sadly Harry crashed and died on 6th July See