British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

Stuart Thompson, Ex-mildenhall

Who remembers Stuart Thompson who was at Mildenhall in 1985 and also had a trial at Ipswich that year. Thompson later had links with King's Lynn and Peterborough. I also think that another Mildenhall junior around this time was Andy Steward - cannot find a check on that. Both left the bikes in the late 1980s early 1990s.

They are still around the tracks - on four wheels. On Saturday October 21 Thompson is one of the favourites to win the Superstox World Championship at Ipswich.

Steward also appears regulalrly at Ipswich - in the elite and very expensive non-contact National Hot Rod class. These cars cost around £25,000-£30,000 each and are similar perhaps to the the big circuit Touring Class series.

Does anyone else remember Thompson and Steward as bikemen?

Edited by speedyguy

Yes remember both of them riding.

Seem to remember that Thompson had some potential but then just disapeared of the scene like so many do.

Other ex East Anglian speedway riders now doing some racing in stock cars are Kevin Teager and Emmerson Fairweather.

Edited by 25yearfan

Yes remember both of them riding.

Seem to remember that Thompson had some potential but then just disapeared of the scene like so many do.

Other ex East Anglian speedway riders now doing some racing in stock cars are Kevin Teager and Emmerson Fairweather.

This is very interesting. What formulas do Fairweather and Teager take part in and where do they mainly race then?

Emmo races in banger events under the trackstar banner.

Kevin Teager has done some racing at Ipswich and some other spedeworth tracks.

My knowledge of stock cars/hot rods though I've been quite a few times is limited cxaue I'm not a fan of the sport. I can never work out why in East Anglia stock cars is hugely popular cause I don't think its a patch on speedway.

Maybe the fact that its easier to get into and local drivers are in the majority are probable reasons.

Emmo races in banger events under the trackstar banner.

Kevin Teager has done some racing at Ipswich and some other spedeworth tracks.

My knowledge of stock cars/hot rods though I've been quite a few times is limited cxaue I'm not a fan of the sport. I can never work out why in East Anglia stock cars is hugely popular cause I don't think its a patch on speedway.

Maybe the fact that its easier to get into and local drivers are in the majority are probable reasons.

Many thanks. Yes, it's easy to get started in short circuit car racing but the higher grades are really demanding in terms of expense. The pay rates don't match the cost of competing. Drivers virtually pay to race and sometimes have to pay an entry fee to take part in an event.

Perhaps the fact people support short circuit car racing is because its not run to silly averages rules. Drivers are just graded for start places each month on their points averages - they move in and out of grades. They are not forced out of the sport as happens in speedway just because an average does not match a team's needs.

It's all far too detailed and complex to try and evaluate here. I've been going to short circuit car racing for years...and have never had problems with a crossover of interest. But too much on that theme and the attraction of the cars in my postings, in the past, has often upset speedway fans so it's probably best left alone.

Edited by speedyguy