British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Loram to miss World Cup?

There is an article on the thisisbrighton.co.uk site about Mark Loram possibly snubbing the World Cup because there will be 5-man races. Click here to read the piece.

It would shame if he missed it. We wouldn't have the strength in depth to be able to cope with the loss. I think 5-man races are exciting, but if I was riding, I don't think I would like them so much!

"I don't agree with it and I never had. It's dangerous."

"They pluck these tracks, which stage normal speedway the rest of the time, out of the sky, put an air tent round the outside and think it's all right.

Couldn't agree more

We wouldn't have the strength in depth to be able to cope with the loss.

We didn't have the strength in depth even with Mark riding, for him to be considering this is bad bad news for the GB team with a question mark over Lee as well.

If I was Middlo I'd say s0d it and just track Scotty and our youngsters and just go out for the experience like the Danes did a couple of years back. At least that way there's some benefit and measure for the future rather than tracking a middle order senior team, knowing we're likely to do diddly squat and having the humiliation of going out early! :?

How refreshing to see a rider concerned enough about safety to stand up and be counted and not just make noises about it. Let's just hope that Mark sticks to his guns cos I can see an awful lot of pressure being put on him by those whose necks are not on the line.

Lets hope Mr Olsen and Benfield take note when an ex world champ is prepared to say change the format then something must be wrong.

If I was Middlo I'd say s0d it and just track Scotty and our youngsters and just go out for the experience like the Danes did a couple of years back. At least that way there's some benefit and measure for the future rather than tracking a middle order senior team, knowing we're likely to do diddly squat and having the humiliation of going out early!  :?

I would defiantly go for that idea. :approve:

Agree we have go very little chance in making the final anyway so give the young guns a go.

Do you think Mark all by himself is going to make BSI change their mind?

I doubt it somehow.

Quite agree that if Mark does not want to ride which is very understandable after the injuries this year then he should withdraw.

Mark is the captain (or senior rider) and the young guns look up to him.

It is not exactly confidence-boosting material to the younger, less experienced riders, that your captain is not riding because of the 5 rider meetings.

A captains / managers / Senior riders role is to encourage and support the young riders.

Do you think he should have given his reasons to middlo and the BSI in private and then gone public after the event?

Like you said Phil Mark should have gone through the right channels, but like you said Olsen & Benfield are gonna listen to nobody, it'll take a rider to get really hurt for them to change their minds :cry:

I suppose one could say that Mark did get badly injured in last years WTC because of BSI/Olsen/Ref, who's decision was it?????????????

I don't think Mark alone will make a difference, it will now take other riders to sound off, Crumpy, Adams, Max, Rickardsson and IF Nicki Pedersen (fellow Dane of Olsen) poopoos the format then perhaps summat might be done, won't it???????

Why does everyone try to blame the whole worlds problems on BSI/Olsen. Loram wasnt injured because of five rider races he was injured through trying to get a meeting through in atrocious conditions because of TV schedules and the need to complete the meeting for the meeting schedule to be kept to. Did this not happen in the old days, well far more than it does now I can tell you. Any one remember Gothenburg 77 (or any Gothenburg World Final for that matter) the Inter Continental Final 81 was a classic example or what about the British Final of 84. The logistics of getting all the riders and fans at a track on a given date means that if at all humanly possible the show goes on, and it always has done. If people could see beyond the end of their noses they would see the Benefit of BSI and Sky TV for that matter.

I don't blame Mark Loram.

These races may make good TV, but if I was a rider I wouldn't like too ride in these races, with no room, to race on the tracks.

Maybe the person who thought the idea up, should try racing in a five man race themsleves, too see if they like it.

Jeff ............ the WTC is now BSI's and Olsen's baby, of course it was their fault that the meeting was not called off, the riders wanted it to be and the fans knew it was dicy!!!! It was total disregard for the safety of the riders. The meeting should have been finished off before the next meeting, as should the race-off also but of course in this day and age of televised meetings the schedules cannot be changed, speedway doesn't work like that tho does it, it's not like football when players can play on a rain soaken pitch with slightly more danger to their health one could say, when the track is soaken it's life in your own hands time!!!!!!

I'm surprised more fans aren't having their say on this one ..............

I don't agree really with give the youngers experience view. At the moment GB should field the best 5 riders possible. It's this year that counts, and we should do our level best to win, this year. Denmark didn't exactly drop any older riders to ride with the likes of Gjedde last year. He and Bjarne Pedersen were in the best 5 riders so were in the team, not just because they were young and had potential. They also had Hans Clausen in the team so they weren't exactly all out youth.

Therefore i believe GB should race with their best 5 riders. The likes of Harris, Stead, Bird etc can come in when they are good enough, and as they race against top riders every weel, or at least they should be, I reckon they should all be Elite League full time and riding in Sweden and/or Poland, there shouldn't be too much of a difference when they step up.

As for Loram i reckon he should ride. If I were GB team manager i'd select the following:

Scott Nicholls

Mark Loram

Lee Richardson

David Howe (who is up to standard already)

Dean Barker

with David Norris on standby, with Carl Stonehewer.

After Marks performance in the GP tonight maybe he should re consider pulling out of the WC he rode fantastic considering he is only in his opinion 65% fit

After Marks performance in the GP tonight maybe he should re consider pulling out of the WC he rode fantastic considering he is only in his opinion 65% fit

Yes Mark did well tonight condsidering that he'd been out for 3 months.

But why should he reconsider - tracks would need to be the wider than the M25 before it was considered safe for a 5-rider format.

Sorry I agree with Mark on this one.

It was just a remark regarding his riding in the GP, maybe a few more smilies wouldn't have gone a miss there then it would have been taken as it was meant to be taken

:D:D:D:D:):):):lol::lol::lol::lol: is that enough ;) :?: