British Speedway Forum

What with all this disscussion about various venues for possible indoor speedway, there are quite a few venues dotted around the country that could house a larger track.

For instance:-

Hallam Arena (sheffield)

M.E.N Arena (Manchester)

SECC (glasgow)

NEC (Birmingham)

Errr... (The one in Newcastle)

London Arena/Excel Centre/Alexanrda Palace (London)

Not forgetting the Current indoor Venues of Brighton and Telford.

Maybe Some sort of Indoor Winter Series could take place. It would give fans from all around the country to see some "out of season" speedway. The above venues also benefit from already being in cities with speedway tracks in them already.

Edited by darth raider

Guest Jim Blanchard
What with all this disscussion about various venues for possible indoor speedway, there are quite a few venues dotted around the country that could house a larger track.

Hallam Arena (sheffield)

M.E.N Arena (Manchester)

SECC (glasgow)

NEC (Birmingham)

Maybe Some sort of Indoor Winter Series could take place. It would give fans from all around the country to see some "out of season" speedway. The above venues also benefit from already being in cities with speedway tracks in them already.

Again, I might have this wrong too but have they not had one at the GMex centre at Manchester?

Hallam Arena (sheffield)

M.E.N Arena (Manchester)

SECC (glasgow)

NEC (Birmingham)

The Metro Radio Newcastle Arena would not be big enough, as its only the size of say Telford for Ice Racing. :)

:blink::blink:

The Metro Radio Newcastle Arena would not be big enough, as its only the size of say Telford for Ice Racing. :)
Bigger than Brighton then. Birghton is Telford on shale without the straights!

The CIA in Cardiff would be more than big enough too, not sure how viable it is though regards seating etc.

How about something at Stoneleigh too?

Guest Steve Dixon
Again, I might have this wrong too but have they not had one at the GMex centre at Manchester?

Yes they did Jim, promoted by Mort, went, was a good event but never came around again for what ever reason!

Guest Jim Blanchard
Yes they did Jim, promoted by Mort, went, was a good event but never came around again for what ever reason!

Thanks for that Steve. I cannot remember when why or how but I thought some indoor speedway went on there in the past. I wonder why it was not continued. Maybe someone knows. I would have thought that the GMex would be more viable than say the NEC or Stoneleigh. Both of thise very central geographically with huge catchment area's - but not cheap to hire.

I think that its very sad that the speedway show was not continued at Stoneleigh. I know Jim Lynch was very disappointed that the BSPA decided not to continue with it. Maybe, that could have been developed with some sort of demonstations taking place. At the Historic Motor Sport show held their in late February they have a car rally going on around the halls and an indoor motorcycle trials.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

21st... Love the new line in the sig!!

:D I guess you can relate? :P

All I actually achieved was to pick up fairy germs. :(

I've been thinking something similar. I think these large (in £ terms) venues may mean that only one or two could be added. With Brighton, Newport, and Telford already established we could add B'ham in 2nd/3rd week of Jan, and perhaps one other in Nov if that were a success (just for eg).

B'ham NIA would be perfect. Very easy for everyone to get to. Although I realise those from the south coast (and France :P ) would have further to go, you could more easily attract fans from the Midlands northwards. It's only a stroll into the city centre for the break between meetings. Plenty of parking, places to eat and drink around the NIA itself.

I would tweak the format used at Brighton and Telford. I would retain an afternoon and evening meeting. A better deal for the purchase of tickets for both meetings.

The afternoon meeting to be a GB v The Rest of the World Select. Each team has a recognised team manager that will select 8 riders each. The first two heats will feature the bottom 3 riders from each team. The first two in each heat will represent their respective 'country' as reserves (6 and 7 in the team). The third placed rider becomes a meeting reserve for his 'country'. If a rider is injured he comes in as straight replacement. The meeting is then run over 15 heats, league format, and league rules, with the exception that an injured rider will be replaced by the meeting reserve as detailed above.

The evening meeting is 16 rider individual meeting, featuring all 16 riders from the earlier meeting, using a standard race format. (None of this top two into a final, and a run off crap). Top points scorer wins, run-offs for rostrum places if needed. Two stand-by reserves could be called in for this meeting in case of injury.

The first meeting will begin at 13:00 and the evening meeting at 19:00. The first meeting gives everyone plenty of time to get to B'ham (or alternative central location) without having to start out too early. The evening meeting gives people plenty of time to grab a bite to eat, and take it easy, before tapes up.

Constructive comments welcome.

Guest Jim Blanchard

Chris,

As with all things we would like to do this and that but you will find that it will come down to cost. Will it be viable? That is the priority.

I know some show organisers pretty well and I even priced up a one day show at the Exhibition centre at Donington Park myself. I had two business men prepared to come in with me on that. We did a costing exercise based on a total free entry to the public.

The reason that we did not go ahead was that another organiser decided to have an event on the same weekend after we was well on with our plans. With traders or stall orders between them creating the revenue from them meeting the cost of hiring the site.

Don't forget with most of these sites apart from the rent of the building the organiser is faced with many additional costs. Public liability insurance being perhaps highest and maybe most expensive but even down to the basic costs of keeping the toilets clean, and collecting all the rubbish the next day. I think the cost of insurance for the GMex Show in Manchester in January is £14K which is an increase of £2K on last year. They have stunt riders and indoor trials arena there too.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

My my 21st CH, you have given this some thought. Birmingham most certainly, better for all fans (and it wouldn't have a bl**dy cold sea breeze for starters).

Yes I have. :)

Don't knock that sea breeze. It kept someone cold enough that I was able to give out lots of hugs to keep her warm. :D

Chris,

As with all things we would like to do this and that but you will find that it will come down to cost.

Absolutely Jim. It all comes down to cold, hard, cash. In my plan above I presented the way the day could run if the cost issue had been removed, or moe likely passed on to the fans. :rolleyes::P

Guest Jim Blanchard
Absolutely Jim. It all comes down to cold, hard, cash. In my plan above I presented the way the day could run if the cost issue had been removed, or moe likely passed on to the fans.

But things cost and so do people to do things for you. Also there is a finite fee that your public will pay to attend.

Hallam Arena (sheffield)

M.E.N Arena (Manchester)

SECC (glasgow)

NEC (Birmingham)

Sheffield, Manchester and Newcastle are just arena, the floor space is the size of an ice rink, so not much bigger then Brighton, definatly couldn't fit an Arena Essex size track in them.

I ruled out GMEX as that isn't in the midlands, it would be big enough for a large track but then you wouldn't have anyone from down south travelling up.

One in Brighton and one in Manchester would be ideal though.

But things cost and so do people to do things for you. Also there is a finite fee that your public will pay to attend.

I don't disagree. In my ideal little world the cost issue had been sorted, and I was putting forward a proposal for the meeting formats.

Great to meet a few new people.  Rabbit, Jemma (No you're not  ;)), Bob C, Rob P, Jim B, and of course great to see everyone I already knew.  :) 

Bit late spotting this, but I'm glad to hear it 21stCH :D