British Speedway Forum

doesnt matter where they hold it - best check with Shovlar if the field would be good enough first :rolleyes:

doesnt matter where they hold it - best check with Shovlar if the field would be good enough first  :rolleyes:
Or just be content with another Shovlar free thread! :D

Not that it bothers me, I love watching him wind everyone up! :D

doesnt matter where they hold it - best check with Shovlar if the field would be good enough first  :rolleyes:

Sorry you feel that way about my posts on this subject.

I have always been a supporter of the event and class myself as a hardcore speedway fan. The racing at brighton has been good at times buut this year the lineup wasn't good enough. Why do you think the attendace was so poor this year?

Obviously it wasn't just me who thought along the same lines otherwise the place would have been busy as usual.

I really hope jon Cook and Martin Dugard take on board my posts and those others on here who view it similarly. Brighton is great fun when done right and the fans respond accordingly.

For next year I really hope they pull out all the stops to get half a dozen top riders onboard. Also make the afternoon event club V club. It will improve the atmosphere 200% and have the fans looking forward to the evenings individual meeting.

The lineup this year of course tried their best, but remember they don't have the same sort of following as the bigger names, it all takes time for them.

Steve - While I may agree that a couple of big names would attract more fas, I don't agree that it will make the event/racing any better. As for you "...tried their best..." comment, well!!! :rolleyes:

What with all this disscussion about various venues for possible indoor speedway, there are quite a few venues dotted around the country that could house a larger track.

For instance:-

Hallam Arena (sheffield)

M.E.N Arena (Manchester)

SECC (glasgow)

NEC (Birmingham)

Errr... (The one in Newcastle)

London Arena/Excel Centre/Alexanrda Palace (London)

Not forgetting the Current indoor Venues of Brighton and Telford.

Maybe Some sort of Indoor Winter Series could take place. It would give fans from all around the country to see some "out of season" speedway. The above venues also benefit from already being in cities with speedway tracks in them already.

Not London Arena sadly. This venue which did previously stage indoor Speedway (in 1991) as well as Ice Hockey, Basketball and pop concerts etc. was demolished a couple of years back..: seemed they needed the space for more yuppie housing..: coz after all not EVERY square inch in the vicinity of Canary Wharf is jam-packed with executive penthouses..!! :mad:

As for the series..: a good idea but what about the ruling that the BSPA/SCB have which prohibits more than one Speedway event a month in the off-season..

IMO, this shouldn't apply to indoor events (I really can't believe that the ice racing at Telford could possibly count..??); but if it does, then any investment in a series would have to be on the understanding that such a ruling would be waived...

The lineup this year of course tried their best, but remember they don't have the same sort of following as the bigger names, it all takes time for them.

How can I put this without sounding anti-Dugard :unsure: why was Martin riding was there no one else they considered as a crowd puller for the event? Reckon Ove Fundin would still have given them all a run for their money :wink:

Martin wasn't originally riding but stepped in when Josh Auty had to pull out. Personally, I think Brighton wouldn't be the same without Martin. I was pleased to see him riding. :approve:

Didn't they say that he didn't know about it until Jon Cook showed him a programme with his name in it - until that point he had sworn point blank that he wasn't going to ride.

Agree with you LW...it's nice to see him back on a bike. He was alway one of the Poole fans' favourite anti-heroes. :approve:

That's all well and good if you are a Dugard fan :wink: What I'm asking is was there no other choice of a rider? :unsure:

Didn't they say that he didn't know about it until Jon Cook showed him a programme with his name in it - until that point he had sworn point blank that he wasn't going to ride.

I didn't hear that Rabs, I was probably too busy talking. :rolleyes: If that is the case, I'm even more pleased he won.

That's all well and good if you are a Dugard fan :wink:  What I'm asking is was there no other choice of a rider?  :unsure:

Possibly, but I think Martin would have been a lot of peoples choice. :unsure:

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree then :rolleyes: So to my original question was he the only choice or was anyone else asked? Jon Cook is a member on here maybe he would be the best one to reply :wink:

(I really can't believe that the ice racing at Telford could possibly count..??)

Its no different to a tennis player wanting to claim a gram slam title, they have to play on a different types of surface. Why not speedway. I would just show some riders are better on some surfaces than others.